Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if Doom was made today.

Commander Xbox

Learned
halo 1 is a more creative and better game than doom by far

MetalCraze

Arcane
asper said:
I think those posters were still in diapers when Doom was released, and are now trying to score kodex kredits with these opinions.

Noone who remembers the gaming landscape of 1993 can call Doom "uncreative".

Oh cut the crap. Doom was a fun monster grinder when it came out but there's nothing "creative" about corridors with monsters in them. Creative would be System Shock that came out roughly at the same time.

Luzur

Good Sir
asper said:
I think those posters were still in diapers when Doom was released, and are now trying to score kodex kredits with these opinions.

i was 12-13 when Doom came out (1993, right?) and it blew our collective minds.

TripJack

Hedonist
bros skyway is right creating a great video game is not creative at all

oh wait

MetalCraze

Arcane
Creating videogame like Doom doesn't require any creativity. It may have good arcade shooter pacing but saying that it required some creative talent is too much.

WhiteGamer

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Creating videogame like Doom doesn't require any creativity. It may have good arcade shooter pacing but saying that it required some creative talent is too much.

Oh come on, give me a break. I know that nowadays it's really cool to be bitter at the world and say everything sucks, but at the time of its release, Doom was it, Doom was different and creative, from non-linear maps to a whole bunch of secret areas per map, to a healthy amount of diversity in map types and the enemy cast, it was pretty creative.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
It's kind of hard to argue Skyway's point since SS had fuckin tonnes of features that were way ahead of it's time, like the nine-point body position thing.

However, the fact that Doom continues to inspire devotion (including the creative endeavour of making new maps - Doom has one of the most active modding communities - and even new engines with new features to play the game on) to this very day indicates that id must have done something right. And unless you're going to argue that people in 1993 were sub-cavemen types who didn't know what they were doing, then chances are that devotion arose from intentionally great design and coding work... you know, that 'creative' shit.

Zomg

Arbiter
The SS vs. Doom comparison is kinda unintuitive in 2011 'cuz SS was only one year later, but that's one year in early '90s terms. One year of the early '90s is like 20 of these fallen 2010s in video game terms where we can only see through a glass darkly

MetalCraze

Arcane
Doom has one of the most active modding communities - and even new engines with new features to play the game on) to this very day indicates that id must have done something right.

A simple game that even a retard can play + open source = a million-men community naturally

In truth you need to look not at the numbers but at the quality of said mods. Each and every one of them is Doom again and again even with the open source code.

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
asper said:

Oh cut the crap. Doom was a fun monster grinder when it came out but there's nothing "creative" about corridors with monsters in them. Creative would be System Shock that came out roughly at the same time.
Skyway hath spoken... and it's neither shit nor banal nor boring?
:/

Anyway, I agree. Doom was and is a good plain bread FPS, but it never was neither creative nor ambitious.
It's well executed, well designed and immensely fun, but in the end it's just a derpy shooter where you kill demons in a martian base with a fucking shotgun - an average 9yo can do better in terms of sheer creativity.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
From that youtube Call of Doom:

Mindless shooting is fun every now and then but there is a place for an epic story in a first person shooter environment. The half life series did a really good job at this. A lot of these story elements hes bitching about are in Half-life 2 and if he calls that game terrible or 'ruining future gamers' then he really needs to get his head out of his ass. He should title it 'CALL OF DUTY IS A PIECE OF SHIT' and in his comments not blanket statement all games made past the year 2000.

:lol: Funny, I hated Half Life as heck.

Stakhanov

Augur
I guess if we put to one side the map design, the 3d graphics, the implementation of network multiplayer and mod support, it was pretty fucking uninspired, amirite? Slam dunk shitshitshit.

Renegen

Arcane
And the fact it was one of the first FPS ever in a world awash with popamole RPGs, yeah not creative at all.

TripJack

Hedonist
MetalCraze said:
A simple game that even a retard can play + open source = a million-men community naturally

In truth you need to look not at the numbers but at the quality of said mods. Each and every one of them is Doom again and again even with the open source code.

mm yes quite naturally indeed, by the way please point out the other games that have experienced this most natural phenomenon

and why make a mod that changes the game when the game itself is so good? :smug: i mean you can maybe encrust your gold with diamonds but that shit is still gold baby

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
dumbfuck in the comments said:
I understand the point...but it honestly still looks like fun. Also, the point I think is actually being made is that games now have more story. Whenever I play Doom, I feel like I have no idea why the fuck any of the shit is even happening, original Doom that is.

This, gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
DraQ said:
Renegen said:
And the fact it was one of the first FPS ever in a world awash with popamole RPGs, yeah not creative at all.
There was Wolfenstein 3D before. And before that Catacomb Abyss. And in the 70s you had Mazewar.

He did say one of the first, not the first. You can't deny though that Doom did more for the fps genre than Wolfenstein. Same as C&C did for the RTS, even though it wasn't the first (Dune 2 came out before, and I actually thought it was the better game). But I bet Skyway would say that C&C wasn't original either. Or Dune 2.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
And Doom spawned a bit more than that... 5 on the same engine, and then indirectly about half the most famous FPS's of all time through the Quake engines (still called id tech). From Half-Life to Call of Duty to Prey. It also inspired the creation of the Unreal engine (as competition) that powers the other half, or at least it did until Epic went full retard.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Doom was spawned by Wolvenstein, so all the games spawned by Doom were spawned by Wolvenstein too.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Except the engine was completely re-written for doom, and since then called id-tech

DraQ

Arcane
Zarniwoop said:
DraQ said:
Renegen said:
There was Wolfenstein 3D before. And before that Catacomb Abyss. And in the 70s you had Mazewar.

He did say one of the first, not the first.
I don't think a game made over 20 years after the dawn of a genre can qualify as one of its pioneers.

You can't deny though that Doom did more for the fps genre than Wolfenstein.
Of course. It played huge part in rediscovery of the genre and its rebirth in its current form. But you don't need to be creative to dig something up and refresh it. Even if what you did was stellar and widely copied it doesn't mean it's necessarily creative.

And I can't help but think about what would happen if there was no Wolfenstein 3D and no Doom and its successors. What if the sole FPS games around that time would be System Shock followed by it's own clones, Terra Nova and so on to fill the niche?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Do you guys realize that Doom was released just a year after Wolfenstein 3D?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom