Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if Doom was made today.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
It has. M:

What the hell are the russians doing?

Satan

Educated
ID released a modern Doom. It's called Rage and guess what - it's banal shit boring.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Man, I just love Doom's cyberpunk - techno - satanist atmosphere and graphics, those terminals and flickering lights, all this technological junk and concrete everywhere....

The video is of course a masterpiece :salute:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Satan said:
ID released a modern Doom. It's called Rage and guess what - it's banal shit boring.
Post that there in a dismissive fashion, make them rage.

BrutalTrickster said:
Think GTA V going to have it's hp bar still and armor pick up just RDR was a different game all together why'ed they went for the regenerating hp. Tho you can still get items from shops so i guess you don't do as fast as CoD/BF. Anyone have the game of the year one with hardcore story mode? I don't know how it should be like with that on.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Skip the video and just play the wad. DL links in the descrption on youtube.

Lightknight

Liturgist
What about that classic Doom mod for Doom3 ? Is it complete and equipped with all the maps and stuff from the original ?

lightbane

Arcane
Last time I checked, they abandoned it after completing the first episode :decline:

baronjohn

Cipher
Meh, Doom was creatively bankrupt banal popamole shit anyway. I don't know why the otherwise prestigious Codex is so crazy about it. Even as an impressionable youth I could sense there being something repulsive about it.

CorpseZeb

Learned
... how about pure parade of player skills? Y'know, "old games", were often more about manual skills and reflex, than anything else.

Ps. Nowadays, E.Y.E DC "ghost" difficulty gives me similar wonderful, nightmarish creeps...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Meh, Doom was creatively bankrupt banal popamole shit anyway. I don't know why the otherwise prestigious Codex is so crazy about it. Even as an impressionable youth I could sense there being something repulsive about it.
It was a very creative game.

If you were walking in one part of the area, you'd hear a click sound. It was an indication that something that was closed earlier had opened. So - if you didn't keep walking and returned in the direction from where you came, you'd find the whole place looking entirely different, because a new door opened or an elevator descended. By the time you ran onto it before it closed or went back up again, you'd discover an entire secret area, which would be twice the size of the main or core level.

If you were clever in accessing secret areas, you'd get higher level weapons much earlier in the game, and you'd find quick shortcuts to any place you wished to enter.

In this day and age of linear levels, Doom's use of secret areas made it feel like a labyrinth of unknown mysteries hidden at every corner. Very much like Ultima Underworld, but even more advanced in use of secret rooms or areas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's true that many adventure and RPG gamers of the time regarded Doom's massive popularity as a decline from what they perceived as a more civilized, intellectual breed of gaming.

But by today's standards...well, you know.

Renegen

Arcane
Anyone remember the Wolfenstein + Doom total conversion for Quake 2? It was taken off by Id but only after it had already been finished and some people played it. Apparently it was awesome.

UserNamer

Cipher
Commander Xbox said:
yeah so.. doom is fuckin boring and linear anyway

what definition of linear are you using? Moder games are literally a straight line, the same cannot be said for doom... is it linear because it doesn't curve into the fourth dimension or something?

Teepo

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
baronjohn said:

If you were walking in one part of the area, you'd hear a click sound. It was an indication that something that was closed earlier had opened. So - if you didn't keep walking and returned in the direction from where you came, you'd find the whole place looking entirely different, because a new door opened or an elevator descended. By the time you ran onto it before it closed or went back up again, you'd discover an entire secret area, which would be twice the size of the main or core level.

If you were clever in accessing secret areas, you'd get higher level weapons much earlier in the game, and you'd find quick shortcuts to any place you wished to enter.

In this day and age of linear levels, Doom's use of secret areas made it feel like a labyrinth of unknown mysteries hidden at every corner. Very much like Ultima Underworld, but even more advanced in use of secret rooms or areas.

You just blew my mind

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Renegen said:
Anyone remember the Wolfenstein + Doom total conversion for Quake 2? It was taken off by Id but only after it had already been finished and some people played it. Apparently it was awesome.

I haven't played it, but it's still around. Updated to Quake 3.

Commander Xbox said:
yeah so.. doom is fuckin boring and linear anyway

baronjohn said:

MetalCraze said:

:lol:

Codex, I...

abswS.gif

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think those posters were still in diapers when Doom was released, and are now trying to score kodex kredits with these opinions.

Noone who remembers the gaming landscape of 1993 can call Doom "uncreative".

TripJack

Hedonist
lol still in diapers dont make excuses for them they are just tards plain and simple

Teepo

Scholar
There is something sexy about an uncompromising codex. No game is sacred, all games are papamole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom