Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Important Dead State Stuff

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Codex Dead State Campaign; Dead State; Kickstarter

Dead State have sent out an update to backers via their KickStarter, here's a snip:

It’s October, which marks the beginning of our third month since Dead State’s Kickstarter was successfully funded. Our team continues to turn out new content, GUIs, animations, and gameplay code. We’ve made significant improvements to the Shelter, including finishing all the upgrades, giving the constructed areas a “scavenged materials look”, and finishing off the basement and second level. Additionally, I’d like to present this image:

What you’re looking at may not be a “pretty” area, but it’s pretty exciting to us. That’s the starting area of the game right there. Your decisions are yet to be made, your map is blank, your allies are all still alive, and your enemies and the undead are lurking out there – this is the moment where your story begins. We’re pretty excited about this image, just because we know what’s in store for you. It’s that moment in every game where you don’t know what to expect yet, where you can’t wait to get out and experience everything. (“Experiences” that we’re working on right now.)

Design continues to work primarily on dialogue. As stated before, there is not only a lot of dialogue, but complex dialogue that spans great lengths of time and decisions rather than the length of completing a quest. I thought it might be interesting to shed some light on our ally creation and dialogue writing process. It starts with Annie and I discussing concepts for characters in the shelter. Usually, everyone we add needs to create a potential conflict or interaction with one or more other characters in the shelter, plus bring a set of skills and personality traits that are not duplicated by another member of the group. We usually try to figure out if the character is going to be more useful in combat or out of combat, or if they unlock some other potential aspect of the shelter, like a new type of job or a prized skill (like a doctor). We also try to figure out if the character is traveling alone or with others – if they’re traveling with someone, it instantly creates an interesting narrative point, but that bond needs to be reinforced throughout the dialogue and even in the gameplay.

After we've come up with the basics of the character, we put together a bio for the character. We use backstory for writing purposes only, to give us a more fully-fleshed out character whose life did not begin when the player met them. While you’ll never see the backstories we create, elements of their lives will creep into their dialogue, and an attentive/inquisitive player will learn a lot more about their allies over time. Sometimes you may not know about certain aspects of the character unless a certain path is triggered, like watching them die from infection or gaining enough trust from a friend of theirs. However, like in real life, you will never fully understand everything there is to know about an ally (unless you’re one of the writers).​

In other news, you may remember our own campaign to help the KickStarter for Dead State - and that it failed miserably to reach its goal. Well, Charles-cgr threw $5k at them because he's rich and had some cash spare after gold-plating his Mercedes.

After I threatened to ban him for not supporting the Codex he had some deep and long thoughts about it, he's decided to transfer his "content rights" to us, so that we can have our store, or whatever else it is we can work up with Annie and Brian. We are now taking suggestions and will harass Annie Carlson until she gives us what we want.

Zombie brothel anyone? Thanks Charles-cgr!

EG

Nullified
They still exist? :love:

So, all this designing . . . was anything done in-game?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I forget that non-backers can't see that. Here's more:

It’s October, which marks the beginning of our third month since Dead State’s Kickstarter was successfully funded. Our team continues to turn out new content, GUIs, animations, and gameplay code. We’ve made significant improvements to the Shelter, including finishing all the upgrades, giving the constructed areas a “scavenged materials look”, and finishing off the basement and second level. Additionally, I’d like to present this image:

What you’re looking at may not be a “pretty” area, but it’s pretty exciting to us. That’s the starting area of the game right there. Your decisions are yet to be made, your map is blank, your allies are all still alive, and your enemies and the undead are lurking out there – this is the moment where your story begins. We’re pretty excited about this image, just because we know what’s in store for you. It’s that moment in every game where you don’t know what to expect yet, where you can’t wait to get out and experience everything. (“Experiences” that we’re working on right now.)​

EG

Nullified
Is this a metaphorical image, or can you leak that, too? :bounce:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"After I threatened to ban him for not supporting the Codex he had some deep and long thoughts about it, he's decided to transfer his "content rights" to us, so that we can have our store, or whatever else it is we can work up with Annie and Brian. We are now taking suggestions and will harass Annie Carlson until she gives us what we want."

What a piece of crap coward he is. To allow yourself to be ganged up, bullied, and raped by losers like Codexers is a sure sign of patheticness. Must, be a Bethesda fanboy/

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Is this a metaphorical image, or can you leak that, too? :bounce:
Sure, just as soon as I figure out why the gallery doesn't work since Taluntain made those server tweaks...

EDIT: Ok, updated the news post.

Repressed Homosexual
Wow, 10k of contribution to Wasteland 2, and 5k on Dead State. Charles really deserves a medal. Everyone should buy Underworld 1 and Underworld 2 when it comes out.

EG

Nullified

Dexter

Arcane
For backers only. Fuck them.

Start.jpg

What you’re looking at may not be a “pretty” area, but it’s pretty exciting to us. That’s the starting area of the game right there. Your decisions are yet to be made, your map is blank, your allies are all still alive, and your enemies and the undead are lurking out there – this is the moment where your story begins. We’re pretty excited about this image, just because we know what’s in store for you. It’s that moment in every game where you don’t know what to expect yet, where you can’t wait to get out and experience everything. (“Experiences” that we’re working on right now.)

Design continues to work primarily on dialogue. As stated before, there is not only a lot of dialogue, but complex dialogue that spans great lengths of time and decisions rather than the length of completing a quest. I thought it might be interesting to shed some light on our ally creation and dialogue writing process. It starts with Annie and I discussing concepts for characters in the shelter. Usually, everyone we add needs to create a potential conflict or interaction with one or more other characters in the shelter, plus bring a set of skills and personality traits that are not duplicated by another member of the group. We usually try to figure out if the character is going to be more useful in combat or out of combat, or if they unlock some other potential aspect of the shelter, like a new type of job or a prized skill (like a doctor). We also try to figure out if the character is traveling alone or with others – if they’re traveling with someone, it instantly creates an interesting narrative point, but that bond needs to be reinforced throughout the dialogue and even in the gameplay.

After we’ve come up with the basics of the character, we put together a bio for the character. We use backstory for writing purposes only, to give us a more fully-fleshed out character whose life did not begin when the player met them. While you’ll never see the backstories we create, elements of their lives will creep into their dialogue, and an attentive/inquisitive player will learn a lot more about their allies over time. Sometimes you may not know about certain aspects of the character unless a certain path is triggered, like watching them die from infection or gaining enough trust from a friend of theirs. However, like in real life, you will never fully understand everything there is to know about an ally (unless you’re one of the writers).

We translate their former profession and hobbies into stats and skills. Someone who was a park ranger might have a high survival skill because they can identify plants and a higher vigor because of time spent walking trails. They may have a perk for traveling faster on the area map because they know how to lead people through difficult terrain. These are gameplay skills that may make an ally more appealing if their character’s dialogue makes them seem difficult or combative with other allies. We balance gameplay advantages and personality flaws for every character you can add in the shelter.

Before writing the character, a list of every interaction possible with the player or other allies is made. This outline is used as a guide to track all the events we need to write. If we feel there’s a lack of interesting dramatic points or decisions, we will add them at this stage or while writing. We also simplify any chains of events that seem too complex or frustrating for a player to figure out. Some adjustment may be made to pace a character’s arc out over time to make sure they continue to pop up in the story. Additionally, we figure out any random events this character might be associated with and questions that the player may want to ask them (including dialogue for resolving personal requests).

From here, it’s all dialogue writing, which can introduce even more nuances and character developments that can only come out as we are subjecting ourselves to that character’s point of view. And now you understand a bit more about the dialogue process. We’re hoping the extra effort provides an experience that you won’t find anywhere else.

That’s it for this update. Remember, you can always interact with us on the forums if you’ve got questions. If you have received a survey (anyone $21 tier and up did) and still haven’t returned it, please do. For those with Radio access, expect another update very soon. As always, thank you all for making this possible.

Morkar Left

The graphics are significantly improving. I'm really curious how the game will turn out. Could teach some bioware writers how you create drama in a crpg.

Charles surely invests a lot in his hobby!

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
For backers only. Fuck them.
It seems like a silly way of going about it. Do most other Kickstarter projects do this - block anybody who didn't back the game from seeing any updates, etc? Even their offical forums are desolate, void of any new info about the game from the devs, though supposedly there is a "backer only" forum where they give progress updates. It's like they don't want any new potential buyers who may have missed the Kickstarter.

I understand they had to give the backers some extras but they should probably keep in mind that they hopefully still want to sell more games on top of the ones already purchased via Kickstarter.

Morkar Left

I think the room looks detailed and gives a feeling of being "real".

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Charles-cgr you beautiful bastard

We could have prosper's pizza. A place where they serve kebab pizza made out of zombies. Because prosper.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
This and AoD. The only news I currently care for at Codex. Won't care much about Wasteland or Project Eternity until I see the faintest speck of gameplay. Isn't there anyone else around here who feels that way?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This and AoD. The only news I currently care for at Codex. Won't care much about Wasteland or Project Eternity until I see the faintest speck of gameplay. Isn't there anyone else around here who feels that way?

There's no faintest speck of gameplay for Dead State.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Apples and oranges.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Piggybacking on one single person's donation? Looks like the Codex is into free rides after all.

There's no faintest speck of gameplay for Dead State.
We saw a guy shoot a few bullets into a zombie once!

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Screenshot kinda reminds me of Bloodlines. Maybe it's because I want Bloodlines sequel or 'spiritual successor' that bad.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Glad to see they finally got rid of that sterile look most screens had up to now. I dig the starting area. Looks plausible. Personally I had hoped for a barricaded appartment in a high flat that you had to evacuate due to starvation/fire/other calamity and which would've proven a neat and exciting starter to the game but this will do.

Emily

Arcane
Screenshot kinda reminds me of Bloodlines. Maybe it's because I want Bloodlines sequel or 'spiritual successor' that bad.
no i had the same feeling. It really reminds of Bloodlines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom