Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark: New Vampire RPG in the works

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dark-Vampire-RPG-Announced-Xbox-360-PS3-PC-42263.html

Anyone have any new news on this puppy? Looks like it's gonna be shit though, for at least the following reasons:

-Amnesia. How the FUCK can anyone think this is a good storytelling mecahnic??
- A 'club' for Vampires. Ok, lemme just tell you, the minute you have hundreds of vampires around the player character, that ruins the game. PPL wanna play vamps cuz they wanna be special, and unique, and grim dark and use kewl powers and have super strength. It totally defeats the point if everyone around you is the same. This is why White Wolf's vampire games are shit.
-The game is set in the modern era on earth. FUCK YOU. The best vamp games are in fantasy worlds in a medieval time frame.

:thumbsdown:

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I played DARK on the Gamescom and I wasn't very impressed. The game feels like a castrated action version of Vampire: Bloodlines (Hail Troika!) but with MUCH less production value (NPCs all share the same face, overall graphics and design are worse than Bloodlines, much bloom). But since this developer is situated in Munich (as we are) I assume that their development budget is much smaller than Troika's masterpiece 8 years ago.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dark-Vampire-RPG-Announced-Xbox-360-PS3-PC-42263.html

Anyone have any new news on this puppy? Looks like it's gonna be shit though, for at least the following reasons:

-Amnesia. How the FUCK can anyone think this is a good storytelling mecahnic??
- A 'club' for Vampires. Ok, lemme just tell you, the minute you have hundreds of vampires around the player character, that ruins the game. PPL wanna play vamps cuz they wanna be special, and unique, and grim dark and use kewl powers and have super strength. It totally defeats the point if everyone around you is the same. This is why White Wolf's vampire games are shit.
-The game is set in the modern era on earth. FUCK YOU. The best vamp games are in fantasy worlds in a medieval time frame.

:thumbsdown:
- They probably played Torment.
- Isn't V:tM's huge success an indication that people want to play vampires for other reasons too?
- This doesn't mean they should be restricted to that timeline. Bloodlines was awesome and it was in modern earth.

The screenshots don't look terrible or great but other than that, there is not enough info on this game yet. The name of the game is stupid though.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
If developers have small budgets then they shouldn't try to emulate the big boys. It always fails. Make a game that is suited for the given budget.

So true, and kalypso should know better. Realmforge (the studio behind DARK and owned by kalypso) developed good management simulations, so I don't really understand why they totally changed their genre. Especially the action popamole console 3rd person genre is massively crowded with AAA games - no chance to sell even small numbers.

LordDenton

Augur
Dark, Vampire RPG Announced For Xbox 360, PS3, PC

I skipped the article as soon as I saw the title.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
If developers have small budgets then they shouldn't try to emulate the big boys. It always fails. Make a game that is suited for the given budget.

This.

HobGoblin42: They probably assumed, correctly, that the fact you could play a Vampire would be enough to attract sales (esp the emo crowd)

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
This.

HobGoblin42: They probably assumed, correctly, that the fact you could play a Vampire would be enough to attract sales (esp the emo crowd)

Maybe they did, but then they will fail because the emo crowd is still occupied with playing kung-fu pandas in WoW.

:lol:

Instead of going full retard (aka 3D) they should have taken the Kickstarter funded games' route and made a 2D game with 3D character models. That way they would have been able to make a much prettier yet also much cheaper game, that would also have run on older computers thus increasing sales potential. Not to mention since no one would have been able to see the faces of pcs and npcs, no one would have cared if all faces looked alike. ;)

Phineas

Educated
I wonder how much "hardcore" "blood" is going to be in there, will they use a New Shit trailer? Will all of the characters have one eye covered by their hair indicating a love for cock? Will the in-game books & lore consist of poetry about how hard life is in the suburbs?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Amnesia. How the FUCK can anyone think this is a good storytelling mecahnic??"

Ask MCA that question. R00fles!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's a video for this pos now:

Looks like Bloodlines, Human Revolution, Alpha Protocol and Geralt's English VA had a dumb, ugly European shovelware baby. They even have a bunch of V:TM abilities they couldn't even bother to rename.

And damn, Kalypso should have hired someone who can actually play stealth games. Watch a guy die repeatedly for 15 minutes while using cheats, what a wonderful presentation.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't seem very exciting to be a vampire when they need to sneak around like a pussy. And he dies in two shots.

I'd rather play that other vampire shovelware, Blood Knights. At least that one has tits

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Doesn't seem very exciting to be a vampire when they need to sneak around like a pussy. And he dies in two shots.

I'd rather play that other vampire shovelware, Blood Knights. At least that one has tits

Actually Blood Knights doesn't look half bad for what it is. Only problem with it is that they force you to tag team with another character. That never works well in real time hack and slash.

There was also that Vampire game I did a Codex Interview for that also has a full demo available.

Cool name

Arcane
At this point it does seem like they are pretty much openly plagiarizing WoD. It is not a good first impression.

There was also that Vampire game I did a Codex Interview for that also has a full demo available.

Was that one the one being made by the guy behind the Last Half of Darkness games or am I mixing it up with something else?

And is that one still being made?

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
But since this developer is situated in Munich (as we are) I assume that their development budget is much smaller than Troika's masterpiece 8 years ago.
Troika had budget??
Developement costs for consoles are definitley higher than Pc and making multi-platform games costs a lot.
Troika probably had the same budget as obsidian and blew most of it on engine but they were mostly forced to release their games earlier than their time so i wouldn't say they had mcuh.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Troika had budget??
Developement costs for consoles are definitley higher than Pc and making multi-platform games costs a lot.
Troika probably had the same budget as obsidian and blew most of it on engine but they were mostly forced to release their games earlier than their time so i wouldn't say they had mcuh.

I know approximate development budgets of German game productions and I can estimate the budget of Vampire:TM - Bloodlines, comparing Dark and Vampire the ratio is at least like 1:8

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know approximate development budgets of German game productions and I can estimate the budget of Vampire:TM - Bloodlines, comparing Dark and Vampire the ratio is at least like 1:8
So guesstimating that Bloodlines cost close to 10 million, this was made for around 1.25? I'm not considering the exchange rate though.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
So guesstimating that Bloodlines cost close to 10 million, this was made for around 1.25? I'm not considering the exchange rate though.
I think, the budget for DARK is even below $1 mio USD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom