Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dominions 4 announced

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yes, but not quite.

http://thurot.com/2013/07/13/dominions-4/

Still, I’m tempted. Not only are all my old favorites still there, but new delights like Ur, The First City and Berytos, The Phoenix Empire beckon, begging me to abandon any notion of actually figuring this thing out, and instead diving in headfirst, drinking deeply of the game’s many options without bothering with tedious things like screenshots or note-taking. I’m in a panic, in the true old sense of the word — in fact, I’d very much like to play as Pangaea, a familiar faction I never really learned, which happens to be governed by actual panii.

[--]

In the recruitment panel, the first real difference is immediately apparent. Not only have all the sprites been redrawn and are now more detailed, but the interface itself is much improved. There are separate queues for commanders and regular units, and the option to repeat each territory’s recruitment instead of having to re-queue your order each turn is welcome. There are even powerful units that require multiple seasons to recruit.

[--]

-- I open up the battle screen to give everyone the preemptive orders that will play out in combat. Turns out even this has been refined. Rather than every unit being a solid square block of soldiers like in the previous game, it’s now possible to order companies to take formations like lines to prevent flanking and skirmish positions to take less damage from arrows and spells. My heavy infantry don’t seem to like being ordered into a line, getting a small penalty to their morale--

[--]

--team games, limited range ritual spells, improved random maps, mountain passes that can only be passed in summer, new weapon damage types like “blunt” or “sharp,” global random events, extra buildings to improve castles, and improved AI.

Dom4's site has been updated, here is the new feature list:

Feature List

• Many monsters (2000+) and many many special abilities.
  • About 75 different nations to choose from, varying from Marignon with paladins, witch hunters and inquisitors to under water nations like the Lovecraft inspired R'lyeh.
  • Three Eras to play in, Early era is most magic and the late era is more technologically advanced with good steel weapons and armors.
  • Design your pretender god and how his dominion influences provinces and his sacred units.
  • Multiplayer with simultaneous turns (up to 28 players).
  • Teamplay with one Pretender player and a bunch of Disciple players per team.
  • Network or Play by E-Mail for multiplayer.
  • AI opponents for single- or multiplayer game.
  • Random maps with cave, mountain passes and rivers (rivers can only be passed when frozen).
  • An extensive magic system with over 800 spells.
  • Blood magic, power your rituals with human sacrifices.
  • Global ritual that affect the entire world.
  • More than 300 magic items.
  • Unique magic artifacts that all players compete for, once forged no one else can make it.
  • Mercenaries are bought on a global market.
  • Scouts, Assassins, Spies, Seducers, Corruptors, Werewolves, Illusionists and more can be sneaking in your provinces.
  • Claim the thrones of Ascension to gain special powers and eventually win the game.
  • Permanent battle afflictions.
  • Easy to Mod (2d graphics)
  • Playable on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
  • Many monsters (2000+) and many many special abilities.
  • About 75 different nations to choose from, varying from Marignon with paladins, witch hunters and inquisitors to under water nations like the Lovecraft inspired R'lyeh.
  • Three Eras to play in, Early era is most magic and the late era is more technologically advanced with good steel weapons and armors.
  • Design your pretender god and how his dominion influences provinces and his sacred units.
  • Multiplayer with simultaneous turns (up to 28 players).
  • Teamplay with one Pretender player and a bunch of Disciple players per team.
  • Network or Play by E-Mail for multiplayer.
  • AI opponents for single- or multiplayer game.
  • Random maps with cave, mountain passes and rivers (rivers can only be passed when frozen).
  • An extensive magic system with over 800 spells.
  • Blood magic, power your rituals with human sacrifices.
  • Global ritual that affect the entire world.
  • More than 300 magic items.
  • Unique magic artifacts that all players compete for, once forged no one else can make it.
  • Mercenaries are bought on a global market.
  • Scouts, Assassins, Spies, Seducers, Corruptors, Werewolves, Illusionists and more can be sneaking in your provinces.
  • Claim the thrones of Ascension to gain special powers and eventually win the game.
  • Permanent battle afflictions.
  • Easy to Mod (2d graphics)
  • Playable on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

Dominions 4 improvements
Here's a short list with the most important changes compared to Dominions 3.
  • Teamplay, one pretender and one or more disciples per team.
  • Thrones of Ascension. Claim thrones to gain extra powers and to win the game eventually.
  • Many sprites have been redrawn and the 3d terrain is also improved.
  • Many user interface improvements.
  • Formations like line formation or skirmish formation.
  • Improved random map generation with wraparound maps, caves, rivers and mountain passes.
  • Rivers that can only be passed when frozen, mountain passes that can only be passed by special units and when it's warm.
  • Pierce, slash and blunt weapons have slightly different quirks. E.g. don't shoot arrows at skeletons.
  • Darkness and dark vision plays a more important role. Notably in deep seas, caves and sometimes during assassinations.
  • Range restrictions on magic rituals and items and spells that can be used to boost ritual ranges.
  • Improved network support, turns can be resumed from any computer and turns can be marked as only half finished.
  • Global random events
  • Can build castle improvements like extra towers or extra supply storage
  • Province Defence dependent on the local population and some nations have easier or harder to organize it.
  • Improvements to AI and to modding.
  • Many new monsters, spells, magic items, sites, random events and some nations too.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In the recruitment panel, the first real difference is immediately apparent. Not only have all the sprites been redrawn and are now more detailed, but the interface itself is much improved. There are separate queues for commanders and regular units, and the option to repeat each territory’s recruitment instead of having to re-queue your order each turn is welcome. There are even powerful units that require multiple seasons to recruit.

I+just.+oh+god+yes.+I+_7749ad98ce11ac2265ff95cdddf5b4ba.gif

Johannes

Arcane
A big change also is that reverse communions don't work anymore. A slave is paralysed even if it acts before the masters.

Johannes

Arcane
There's some extremely crappy youtube vids of the gameplay out now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKF2CrrDCw

If nobodies and clowns like this can get a preview copy, the Codex should request for one too.
Trash Whisky

Out of Eight did a preview. Same shit as 3, with minor improvements was the gist of it.
That was the same shit as the one I posted, a dude clicking random things without paying attention to much anything.

Here's something a bit more informative though:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1497

So it's focused on the new Ur faction of Enkidus ('sup Cleve), and highlights how the ingame documentation is a lot better (no longer are half of unit abilities only quantifiable from manual or not even there), there recruitment mechanics are much more diverse (you can recruit factional units in non-fort provinces, some only on specific terrain, and so on), more formations, etc.

It's simply more of the same if you're not paying attention. Or it is that, but a lot better in many ways. I'm still skeptical of some stuff though like removal of reverse communions.

Marsal

Arcane
That was the same shit as the one I posted, a dude clicking random things without paying attention to much anything.
So? What did you expect from a Youtube video?
How are my expectations related to how shitty and pointless it was? Paraphrasing a lobotomy patients impressions doesn't help anyone.
Posting stupid shit about Youtube videos as "news" and clogging my alerts doesn't help anyone either, yet here we are.

Out of Eight has some "street cred" and has played and liked Dominions 3. He played and previewed Dominions 4. His preview was out weeks ago. The video is just a sample game that lets him talk about the game while viewers watch something in the background. It's the same shit as Dominions 3 with minor improvements. Not a bad thing per se. If you like the game, it's more of the good stuff. I'd be happy if more sequels to games I liked were essentially the same shit, but better.

Misconnected

Savant
Oo8 is fantastic if you're looking for 30min previews of obscure titles that probably won't be mentioned in the mainstream gaming media.

As a reviewer, however, Out of 8 is almost 1/10th as thorough and reliable as my Vodka diarrhoea. Seriously, you shouldn't take his impressions of games any more serious than you should a birch stick fucking your eyesocket - except Oo8 shouldn't require hispotalisation for anything physical.

- I'm not saying he's a fucking brick either. He doesn't exactly sound bright, but he actually does write reasonably well. It's just... He barely plays the games he opines on. 30mins of playtime if you're lucky. So as more or other than "initial impressions" his opinions aren't worth shit. And in and of itself that's not wrong or horrid or whatever either. But he passesses himself off as someone who has an opinion based on thorough playing of the games he opines on... And that is most DEFINITELY not the case, nor has it ever been. He's the more bloggy and less popular version of Total Biscuit, and you should apply the same 50kgs of salt.

oscar

Arcane
Already did. ;) How's it going, oscar?

It is essentially exactly the same game with a new victory condition, UI enhancements and formations. The new victory condition, players have to claim a number of 'Ascension Thrones' located across provinces to win, is good if you're looking for a faster-paced and more focused game then the traditional 4X "build up, expand, research until you're strong enough to annihilate them" gameplay. Repeat recruitment is a great time-saver (the province repeats your build order from last turn) that removes some of the tediousness of micromanagement during the late (hell even the mid) game.

You can also now deploy your men in line and skirmishing formations, but at the cost of a reduced morale bonus (or enhanced morale penalty depending upon the leader and number of formations you have under a single commander). This system makes pure commander types a bit more useful if you're planning on using a large array of different style soldiers, in which case you'll probably want to attach some spare commanders to a stack.

Ultimately however it's still the same Dominions we know and love. The only new civilisation I noticed were the Lemurians who hadn't been implemented yet. Dominions 4 is shaping up to be a further refinement to the Dominions series but nothing ground-breaking. I can't say this disappoints me as if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

It is essentially exactly the same game with a new victory condition, UI enhancements and formations. The new victory condition, players have to claim a number of 'Ascension Thrones' located across provinces to win, is good if you're looking for a faster-paced and more focused game then the traditional 4X "build up, expand, research until you're strong enough to annihilate them" gameplay. Repeat recruitment is a great time-saver (the province repeats your build order from last turn) that removes some of the tediousness of micromanagement during the late (hell even the mid) game.

You can also now deploy your men in line and skirmishing formations, but at the cost of a reduced morale bonus (or enhanced morale penalty depending upon the leader and number of formations you have under a single commander). This system makes pure commander types a bit more useful if you're planning on using a large array of different style soldiers, in which case you'll probably want to attach some spare commanders to a stack.

Ultimately however it's still the same Dominions we know and love. The only new civilisation I noticed were the Lemurians who hadn't been implemented yet. Dominions 4 is shaping up to be a further refinement to the Dominions series but nothing ground-breaking. I can't say this disappoints me as if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Does it do anything else to cut down on the micro, like waypoints for recruitment and multi-province travel? The level of micro near the end game was one of the reasons I never finished the game.

Another thing that would be really great would be the ability to set units as either passive or active, where active would flash in its province if it hasn't been given orders, as a way to differentiate garrisons and armies on the march

Johannes

Arcane

It is essentially exactly the same game with a new victory condition, UI enhancements and formations. The new victory condition, players have to claim a number of 'Ascension Thrones' located across provinces to win, is good if you're looking for a faster-paced and more focused game then the traditional 4X "build up, expand, research until you're strong enough to annihilate them" gameplay.
That was totally possible in Dom3 with the victory points win condition. But now the victory point provinces do something more special than just giving minor Domspread.

Ultimately however it's still the same Dominions we know and love. The only new civilisation I noticed were the Lemurians who hadn't been implemented yet.
Ur, Berytos, Vanarus, Pelagia, Asphodel, EA Machaka, at least.

And can you delve a bit into how some (in Dom3) game-defining mechanics have been changed? Like how Dwarven Hammers work now, or how Tartarian summoning works, whether there's some new non-blood, non-tart, non-national SC chassises available?

sum1won

Novice
I can speak to Dwarven Hammers- instead of providing a % discount, they now provide a flat discount- I think of 2 gems per item. So, no more super-cheap rings of wizardry.

And there are some inventive items, which are heavily moddable, including one that heals disease at a rate of one diseased unit/turn, and turns that into a death gem.

Another thing that would be really great would be the ability to set units as either passive or active, where active would flash in its province if it hasn't been given orders, as a way to differentiate garrisons and armies on the march

This already exists in Dom3. Set units to patrol and they won't be considered "active".

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

This already exists in Dom3. Set units to patrol and they won't be considered "active".

doesn't work with scouts in enemy territory

zwanzig_zwoelf

Wait, isn't this a sequel to...
5175921720_dcfe38d0fc_b.jpg

Oh, wait, it isn't. :(

Johannes

Arcane
I kinda hate how terrain restricts movement much more than in Dom3. So in many places you're constantly stuck with MM1.

And balance is of course totally whack... Take for example Sauromatian Soothsayers, 35 gold a piece recruited from any 600 gold fort without a lab, ridiculous stuff.

DakaSha

Arcane
Oo8 is fantastic if you're looking for 30min previews of obscure titles that probably won't be mentioned in the mainstream gaming media.

As a reviewer, however, Out of 8 is almost 1/10th as thorough and reliable as my Vodka diarrhoea. Seriously, you shouldn't take his impressions of games any more serious than you should a birch stick fucking your eyesocket - except Oo8 shouldn't require hispotalisation for anything physical.

- I'm not saying he's a fucking brick either. He doesn't exactly sound bright, but he actually does write reasonably well. It's just... He barely plays the games he opines on. 30mins of playtime if you're lucky. So as more or other than "initial impressions" his opinions aren't worth shit. And in and of itself that's not wrong or horrid or whatever either. But he passesses himself off as someone who has an opinion based on thorough playing of the games he opines on... And that is most DEFINITELY not the case, nor has it ever been. He's the more bloggy and less popular version of Total Biscuit, and you should apply the same 50kgs of salt.

Exactly my opinion. Great for finding some games you havent heard of, and getting an idea of them. HORRIBLE as a reviewer

Mortmal

Arcane
Been playing the beta(3.99f) since a few days,i can assume that with a 28 september release date , the game wont change much . Siingle player experience is not bad at all . Its certainly harder than dom 3 ,i am a bit rusty i dont remember all the mechanisms from dom 3 so i had trouble winning on the cradle of dominion map with 10 presets early age civ . It seems the AI is more focused ,building stronger armies (no more militia shit), more agressive taking down enemies one by one targeting them when they are weak then proceeding to destroy the next pretender god.

Now of course i am pretty sure that if i spec into item creations and stack immunities on a champion i will rolfstomp everything , but if you dont its quite challenging and entertaining . Its improves on every single aspect , the choices are overwhelming , each civ have a distinct feel, units, + some extra spells ,that for each of the tree eras .

To sum up its a phenomenal game 10/10 material no less , dominion 3 with even more units more spells , highly appreciable auto building queues, battle formations . Now you can put those poison cloud units apart and tell them ti attack rearmost enemies . Theres no reasons to go back to the previous ttiles everything is better.

Ps: How do you take down an eater of the dead that went unfettered?...

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Been playing the beta(3.99f) since a few days,i can assume that with a 28 september release date , the game wont change much . Siingle player experience is not bad at all . Its certainly harder than dom 3 ,i am a bit rusty i dont remember all the mechanisms from dom 3 so i had trouble winning on the cradle of dominion map with 10 presets early age civ . It seems the AI is more focused ,building stronger armies (no more militia shit), more agressive taking down enemies one by one targeting them when they are weak then proceeding to destroy the next pretender god.

Now of course i am pretty sure that if i spec into item creations and stack immunities on a champion i will rolfstomp everything , but if you dont its quite challenging and entertaining . Its improves on every single aspect , the choices are overwhelming , each civ have a distinct feel, units, + some extra spells ,that for each of the tree eras .

To sum up its a phenomenal game 10/10 material no less , dominion 3 with even more units more spells , highly appreciable auto building queues, battle formations . Now you can put those poison cloud units apart and tell them ti attack rearmost enemies . Theres no reasons to go back to the previous ttiles everything is better.

Ps: How do you take down an eater of the dead that went unfettered?...
How was your experience with Dominions 3's micromanagement and how does it compare with this latest iteration? Nice overview, by the way.

Mortmal

Arcane
There's less micro but not completely free of it, for exemple when you want to boost research, just set recruitment to auto for mage commanders units ,alas they dont go in research mode automatically . If you want to rebuild an army, just choose a template of units and set it to a loop It will only stop when you are out of gold. Of course as ermor collecting every spawns in provinces still takes time.

Johannes

Arcane
There's a few major issues to be solved, now with the removal of the tax slider heavy blood hunting is damn inefficient. And movement is much slower on the whole now, with difficult terrain slowing you doubly as much (this is just annoying and boring), while sailing has doubled speed, making it quite broken in comparison. Overall I'd say I'd prefer Dom3 over this if it wasn't for the UI improvements.

But I hope there'll be some change to at least the former subject, before release. By the look of things I don't believe in 28.9. release date either, with all the event bugs and placeholder sprites and missing descriptions in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom