Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What has happened to game intros?

Unwanted

Vinnie

Unwanted
In 90's and early 00's every game had an intro and most of them were nice to look at. Nowdays it's nothing or some pretentious stuff. What happened?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They threw it to the first level with very helpful tutorial in case you're fresh in video games.

deuxhero

Arcane
By intro, I take it you mean attract mode videos?

I've seen devs mention they aren't cheep to make, especially when they aren't in-game footage.

Saints Row 2 shows it is possible to have a good one with just in-game stuff (it's actually pre-recorded but produced in the game engine so the game doesn't have to load before playing it)

It establishes what happened between the first game and the sequel, gives some basic knowledge of the villains and as an added bonus, it even ties in with the actual start of the game (A guard is finishing watching TV and putting down the remote)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
After the End of World War 2, the world was split into two; east and west. This marked the beginning of the era called the Cold War.

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen a modern game with no intro, even the indiest indies have them.

As for boring samey intros, I imagine it's the consequence of gaming becoming a big fucking business like films. It has to be approved by a group of people, who are trying to satisfy the largest number of people.

--

edit: haha, the SR2 intro. I never noticed the studio doing the interview has a bright orange color scheme (Ultor Corporation's color) :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I tend to dislike long non interactive intros unless they are insanely well done. Deus Ex: Human Revolution's intro was okay, for an intro. More games need to have interactive openings though.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Remember when cutscenes were supposed to be an award for completing a difficult section?

This happened.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I've discovered what appears to be an extended intro to San Andreas.

Shows the green sabre attack on CJ's mother.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Besides the general decline, I imagine it's because back in those times, producing those FMV's was relatively expensive, so they had to make every second count. Also, graphics were limited, so the movies were usually reserved for fantastic stuff that couldn't be conveyed otherwise. Nowadays the problem is the opposite: cutscenes of mundane/boring stuff.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think a lot of the decline in game intros has to do with everything needing to now be "epic", that, is, grandiose, high stakes, with bombastic orchestral music, and so on. A lot of older intros tended to have stricter limitations on what they could show due to the fact that, say, animating a massive battle between two armies was out of reach of many developers, so instead they had to go for something with a bit of subtlety, clever direction and mood, which ended up being much more interesting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't need epic introduction cutscenes when the entire game is like that anyway. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they discovered that lots of players just skip 'em.

Unwanted

Vinnie

Unwanted

Exacrtly, you don't see stuff like this nowdays, and it's not only graphics but the general feel, aesthetics and the direction. Today you see mundane stuff, it's like no one cares anymore and the only thing that matters is $$$$

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom