Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland inXile's Wasteland 1 Re-Release

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can you give some tips whit the character creation?

High IQ does miracles, don't select combat shooting. Other than that, I've always just rolled a party that looks at least semi decent statwise and not concerned myself with trying to think what would be the best party possible. The fun is in finding things out.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I have different question - is it easy to screw your party with bad choices (stats etc.). Any good exapmles, if any?
I'm not interested on best builds (boring), but stories about some strange ones and bad ones are entertaining.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
I have a question. The original wastland is a good game? Because i thinking about the buy the game on steam.

It is a good game (at least once you get the feel of it; in case that causes trouble to begin with). Go buy it.

Can you give some tips whit the character creation?
STATS:
- If you don't mind rolling a bunch, make sure all characters start with Intelligence (IQ) of 18. A minimum of 16 IQ each if you get tired of rolling.
- Focus on the stats in this order: Luck (LK), Dexterity (DEX), Speed (SP), Strength (ST), Agility (AGL), Charisma (CHR). Although if you're doing lots of melee, make sure to focus a bit more on ST and SP because they are important in melee.

SKILLS:
- Give all characters Medic, Brawling, Perception, Swim, Assault Rifle.
- Give at least one character: Picklock, Silent Move, Bomb Disarm.
- Don't put more than 1 level into any skill during character creation.
* You get twice the XP for killing things with melee attacks, so keep that in mind.

EDIT: lol, I was trying to give the same info as Jaesun without giving a URL with massive spoliers. Geez dude! :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since I'm still waiting for Larian to deliver that D:OS patch I decided to complete Wasteland to catch all the sick refs I'll be seeing in the sequel.

For such a wacky game it sure was boring. I can't believe people liked/still like this crap. Didn't care for the rudimentary combat where the only things that matter are having area-approrpiate equipment/combat stats and whether or not the enemy can do enough damage to warrant going full-auto with everyone. Didn't care for the obtuse puzzles and the "find the right keyword" plot-gating (especially how the manual never mentions that "chat" is a good keyword to start with). Didn't care for how you go through a series of unrelated vignettes until the plot actually starts in Las Vegas. Didn't care for Chris Avellone's least favorite area, the sewers, and how that area and the robots in north Las Vegas are one big momentary difficulty spike. Chris messed up since he didn't realize you can/should just degenerately backtrack to a rope to rest-spam to full after every fixed encounter (also related: did not care for how the only way to regain health was to mash a rest macro and wait). Obviously I didn't care for its largely unexplained trial-and-error character system.

I would prefer any Bioware game from the last six years over this waste-of-a-game. inXile would have to be especially inept to make Wasteland 2 something I'd like even less.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Does the Steam and GOG version of Wasteland have all the story paragraphs built into it, or do I need to refer to an external document?

Kersey

Educated
Does the Steam and GOG version of Wasteland have all the story paragraphs built into it, or do I need to refer to an external document?
Yes it does. It's probably the only version available but the "enhanced" version is known as Wasteland 1: The Original Classic. If it has that kind of title it should be a safe bet it's the version you're talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom