Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (0.B NOV 17 2014 RELEASED)

Absalom

Have they finally fixed npcs?
They won't crash the game but don't expect torment quality atm. However if you do play with them on expect your chars to contract spontaneous cases of lead poisoning at inopportune moments.

I keep getting killed by moose
So long as you keep your distance and avoid forests where you can pop out next to one you should be fine. Though a regular moose is only a danger for a weakened/new char.

Absalom

You calling me yellow?
No, just bad.

And holy shit do necromancers need to be nerfed with the new grab mechanic. If a single cocksucker grabs you while the negrodancer is there you are fucked, no items nothing can save you

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I haven't played Cataclysm in a long while, but it comes with a tileset now? Is it still in active development?

Let me practice my necromancy.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yes and yes. They haven't done a stable release in forever because it seems to lack strong leadership to get everyone to stop dicking with things and actually do the bugfixing and balancing required for that, but they're added a lot of cool stuff, some nice UI improvements, and some stupid trivial shit. Just grab the latest release (or better yet the program that lets you automatically grab the latest release and revert to previous versions and manage mods etc.) and fire it up. Good times to be had.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
To be honest for me the game is getting more and more tedious now. They made making your own deathmobile harder. They nerf tailoring so much. They make morale penalty for wearing zombie clothes ridiculous. And solution to all of them was to spend more time grinding. It was somekind of a fun roguelike where you get strong fast and do some wacky shit, but it takes too much time too grind.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
To be honest for me the game is getting more and more tedious now. They made making your own deathmobile harder. They nerf tailoring so much. They make morale penalty for wearing zombie clothes ridiculous. And solution to all of them was to spend more time grinding. It was somekind of a fun roguelike where you get strong fast and do some wacky shit, but it takes too much time too grind.

I've gotten bored of it too. I still load it up because I'm a wannabe-Cleve/survivalist, but I don't really get challenged at all by it and get bored as soon as I've reinforced my house. There's not enough dynamic stuff that will happen.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah the requirement for jacking up cars is dumb. The zombie clothes thing is too. I mean, it makes sense, and it doesn't cripple you if you're not wearing like 10 pieces or something dumb like that, but it really just adds tedium and some esoteric knowledge requirement to clean them. At least killing zombie children has a moderate penalty now, instead of the previously insane one where you'd kill like 2 and be utterly crippled.

I generally start getting bored around when I start raiding labs. The rewards from labs can be nice, but parts of the game stop working at that point (like I tried mutating into a bear and it was just not fucking happening for no apparent reason) and once you lose patience it's so easy to die to something stupid like picking a fight with way too strong an enemy. I think they've been toning melee builds down for a long time now too, which is aggravating because melee was always the inferior option.

They have taken out a lot of the grind though, the way recipes and learning work now, how much easier it is to gather materials, etc. Tailoring, for example, you can get basically endless amounts of string, rags, and leather from cars. Just disassemble some seatbelts and seats and you're drowning in that stuff. Then you can make a x10 batch of trenchcoats or whatever, dissasemble all of them, and bam you're up a level. That shit used to take like 5-6 keystrokes per coat each way.

If you want to ramp up the challenge and have the game to force you to improvise a bit more, I suggest the overworld mod, which turns about 3/4 of the buildings into ruined versions with nothing to scavenge. No more finding everything you need right away by just casually going to the nearest library/hardware/electronics/mil surplus/etc. stores.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom