Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lethis - 2D Victorian Steampunk City Builder

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Lethis - Path of Progress is an old school 2D city builder set in the Victorian Steampunk world of „Lethis“.
With the discovery of condensed steam as an energy source, the people of Lethis are confronted with an unprecedented industrial revolution.
Build and manage cities, provide resources for your inhabitants while making sure there are enough workers to sustain your production lines.
Trade with others cities, honor the request of the Emperor and fulfill your citizens needs.
Lethis - Path of Progress is inspired by old Impressions Games productions of the 90ies. It is a tribute to these colorful games, which radiate with charme and ambience.
With its unique universe, its fine and detailed 2D graphics, Lethis – Path of Progress intends to bring back this classic feeling. In Full HD!

Available 2015 on PC!

Looks p. charming to me, hopefully the gameplay will be decent too.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Looks to work a lot like Zeus. That's not a bad thing, but I didn't see anything that might breathe some fresh air on the concept, yet.

rezaf

Cipher
Looks to work a lot like Zeus. That's not a bad thing, but I didn't see anything that might breathe some fresh air on the concept, yet.

While I get the point, I'm always a bit puzzled when people make remarks like this. Or describe how they don't understand why someone might want a modern remake of a game with everything a carbon copy except graphics and UI.
Do you guys go to the new steakhouse, order one and then make the disappointed remark: "Tastes a lot like Steak. That's not a bad thing, but I didn't taste anything that might breathe some fresh air into the concept, yet."?
_____
rezaf

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't always go to the steakhouse, but when I do ask for a breath of fresh air.

I do understand why someone might like a carbon copy of a game if it is either difficult to get running, or if the graphics and UI is technologically impaired/obtuse. But none of that really applies to Caesar III/Pharaoh/Zeus/Emperor in my mind. I would also be a little more easily hyped if they took another page from Pharaoh/Caesar III and introduced labor walkers; the lack of them in Zeus always felt like a bit of a cheat.

Still, I'll probably buy it when it's finished. If I wasn't interested enough for that I wouldn't have bothered posting in the first place.

Carceri

Arcane
Dunno if you guys are looking forward to playing this, but apparently it will be available on Steam(and it's steampunk geddit) from 25th this month.

Also, the latest gameplay vid:

Last edited:

Norfleet

Do you guys go to the new steakhouse, order one and then make the disappointed remark: "Tastes a lot like Steak. That's not a bad thing, but I didn't taste anything that might breathe some fresh air into the concept, yet."?
Well, we could have a steakhouse that serves only cows genetically modified to be 50% more steaky and moo exclusively in French.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
released today

someone buy it and review it

Whiran

Magister
released today

someone buy it and review it

Pretty much in line with the old Caesar, Pharaoh, and Zeus games with a steampunk art style and vibe.

If you enjoyed that type of city building game then you'll probably like Lethis.

Torrasque01

Augur
http://steamcommunity.com/games/359230/announcements/detail/111810680975717676
We’d like to apologize again to you.
28 June - Sinsem
The game is clearly in a state of early access. Or more precisely what should have been early access on Steam: a game which is content complete but hasn’t been tested on a wide enough range of PCs in order to work for every single one of you.
Lethis – Path of Progress is our first game, and we lacked the experience for a smooth launch. We learned a lot during these few days, but we have to live with our mistake now.

We wanted to make a tribute to these classic city builders from our youth, games we don’t see anymore, to share our passion of the genre. This goal is certainly not complete until the game is freed of bugs & crashes.
We’re going to devote all the time we have to fix the game, and eventually provide the experience we intended. That’s what we wanted to do, that’s what we’re going to do. So we’ll be on Lethis – Path of Progress every day of the week until everything is resolved.

We are players ourselves, and we understand how frustrating it can be to spend money on something that refuse to work as intended. As creators though, we’re really angry with ourselves, because we do not want people to believe we intentionally released a broken game in order to make money. If we’re honest with ourselves, this launch is a failure, and now it’s imperative for us, as artists, game designers & developers to show that we can come back from it and make a good, bug free game.

We hope that the incoming patches will show more than our good will, but our ability to deliver a proper video game experience.

We understand every player who wish to refund the game, and we’d like to thank every single one of you who’s willing to give us a shot, and is reporting bugs & crashes.

Great going devs. It's not like every recent potential incline was marred by awful launches.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I enjoyed the Impressions games, but this one just doesn't grab me. It seems a lot more micromanagement heavy than those games and not in a fun way. In the Impressions games it felt like I was trying to build large cities that are efficient, while in this I feel like I'm simply micromanaging individual buildings while not expanding too fast. It also lacks the charm that the Impressions games have.

Maybe I'll rather go play Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. It's the only Impressions city-builder I haven't played yet.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I like their contrition, are there any codexer impressions other than Zewp's?

Astral Rag

Arcane
We’d like to apologize again to you.
28 June - Sinsem
The game is clearly in a state of early access. Or more precisely what should have been early access on Steam: a game which is content complete but hasn’t been tested on a wide enough range of PCs in order to work for every single one of you.
Lethis – Path of Progress is our first game, and we lacked the experience for a smooth launch. We learned a lot during these few days, but we have to live with our mistake now.

We wanted to make a tribute to these classic city builders from our youth, games we don’t see anymore, to share our passion of the genre. This goal is certainly not complete until the game is freed of bugs & crashes.
We’re going to devote all the time we have to fix the game, and eventually provide the experience we intended. That’s what we wanted to do, that’s what we’re going to do. So we’ll be on Lethis – Path of Progress every day of the week until everything is resolved.

We are players ourselves, and we understand how frustrating it can be to spend money on something that refuse to work as intended. As creators though, we’re really angry with ourselves, because we do not want people to believe we intentionally released a broken game in order to make money. If we’re honest with ourselves, this launch is a failure, and now it’s imperative for us, as artists, game designers & developers to show that we can come back from it and make a good, bug free game.

We hope that the incoming patches will show more than our good will, but our ability to deliver a proper video game experience.

We understand every player who wish to refund the game, and we’d like to thank every single one of you who’s willing to give us a shot, and is reporting bugs & crashes.

:roll:

Carceri

Arcane
I like their contrition, are there any codexer impressions other than Zewp's?
Played yesterday a few missions from the tutorial. From the first glance feels like Zeus, sort of, without the heroes/gods quests. Also, there is no military category button on the UI, so it appears to be purely economic. I don't know about you, but combat was the weakest point of the old Impressions games imo, so I don't care.
In Lethis there are additional buildings you have to build to get the industry going, which makes sense given the setting (Zeus had additional culture buildings compared to the other Impressions games). Yes, it lacks the charm of those games, however this is the closest thing so far. It's basically a clone. I need to play some more in order to give an accurate opinion, this is only the first impression.

Maybe I'll rather go play Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. It's the only Impressions city-builder I haven't played yet.

Not sure why you think Lethis is a lot more micromanaging heavy than Zeus for example, it looked the same to me, but Emperor has definitely more things for you to fiddle with than these two games. Additional food types in order to upgrade houses, constant offerings to the gods and also requires a more careful approach on city planning and building placement due to the feng shui mechanic.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, in the Impressions games if your buildings didn't have regular access to an architect they simply had a bigger risk of breaking down. In Lethis, I accidentally cut off access to certain buildings and didn't notice it immediately. Within a minute, all the buildings in that section broke down one after the other. Your service people also seem to have a much lower area of effect, so you have to carefully ensure you place enough in even small areas. In Pharaoh I could be very liberal with where I placed my roadblocks and service people tended to have large city blocks in which they could roam without issue.

It just feels like the challenge in Lethis lies in trying to keep small city blocks up and running, while in the Impressions games you had a lot more leeway to build bigger city blocks and your challenges lie in trying to maximise their efficiency and keeping the petty gods happy.

Turns out I can't play Emperor at the moment. The widescreen mod is marked as malicious by Google on WSGF. :(

Borelli

Arcane
Residences here having a Caesar/Zeus/Anno style progression does not sit well with the victorian setting because in these games all your pop will be some variation of middle class housing in the majority of missions.
Something like Children of the Nile with its divide between nobles and peasants would fit the pseudo 19th century setting better.
As for the game, while it looks like a clone, i will still give it a try some time later because i'm a sucker for Impressions games.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Only faeries. You make absinthe out of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom