Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Party of Eternity

Dorateen

Arcane
The release of the second part of The White March, with its obvious influences from Icewind Dale, seems an appropriate time to remind players Pillars of Eternity is a game that supports full party creation. I’ve always found discussion of party composition more interesting than any single character build. This thread is to share ideas and experiences of customized bands of adventurers, whether thematic or constructed for functionality or otherwise. Here is the set-up of characters I used, which completed the end of Pillars and all of the content from White March, Part 1:

A human paladin and dwarven fighter made up the high endurance frontline warriors. The paladin started out using sword and shield, but about midway switched to a two-handed sword significantly increasing his damage dealt and enemies destroyed. For the fighter, I focused on maximizing deflection early on, so I stayed with the hatchet Hearth’s Harvest for the +5 bonus, relying on the highest level of enchantment and refining to get decent damage numbers.

After these two, I had a priest of Eothas, initially playing the role of a back row support character. Again, by mid-game, he started to show signs of being competent enough to engage in melee, while still reserving the option to hang back and fire a crossbow. Between powerful buffs and offensive spells, he proved to be a versatile and integral member of the party throughout.

Next, I used an elven ranger accompanied by a lion companion. With all the associated companion talents, the lion ended up being an effective third frontline fighter, although often he was kept back to guard weaker party members or prowl along the fringes of drawn battlelines, picking out prey to hit with devastating criticals. The ranger was pretty good, too. Consistent in dealing ranged damage and status effects, his interrupts of the enemy proved valuable.

Our party’s orlan rogue also decided early on to stick with a hunting bow. While he could have been promising as a dual-wielding little monster, he was just as potent striking from afar and being able to select high priority targets. In fact, he led the party in enemy kills. A typical encounter would be initiated by him scouting ahead and laying down a trap, then shooting an enemy to trigger the mob rush. They would give chase, haplessly unable to catch the orlan in his Boots of Speed, and be drawn around a corner right into the blades our waiting fighters.

Finally, I went with a classical high-intellect wizard since I find the concept of “muscle wizard” ludicrous as a matter of principle. While he did not land as much damage as he could have if he pumped the Might attribute, instead he had expansive Area of Effect spells and increased durations. The sheer amount of coverage he provided the party when being swarmed by enemies, made efficient work for the other characters to pick off low health stragglers, blinded or stunned or bursting in flames.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
WM2 party, hard

Paladin - max might, con and res, 3 per, 10ish dex and int. Full plate, large shield, hatchet.
Chanter - max con, int and res, 3 might, 10ish dex and per. Full plate, large shield, whatever 1h weapon provides good on-hit utility.
Rogue - max might, dex, con and per, 3 int, 3 res. Shirt and dual clubs/stilettos.
Druid - max might, per, and int, 3 res, 10ish dex and con. Full plate, small shield, hatchet. Main character.
Wizard - max might, per, and int, 3 res, 10ish dex and con. Robes, sceptre.
Priest - max int and dex, 3 res, 12ish might, con and per. Robes, large shield, hatchet. Switch to random ranged weapon when he has no one on him and needs to cast devotions for the faithful.

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
I've only played through the main campaign once, creating only a single character. I thought I'd try a full party when both parts of the expansion were out but now I've decided to do another single character playthrough to play with the new NPCs. When I do get around to a full party playthrough, I've thought a little about about it a bit and come up with the following:

Mad Dwarves of the White Wastes

Boreal Dwarf Paladin (Warhammer + Shield) (Main Character)
Boreal Dwarf Monk (Axe + Shield)
Borael Dwarf Priest of Wael (Staff)
Borael Dwarf Barbarian (Pike)
Boreal Dwarf Druid (Crossbow or Arbalast)
Boreal Dwarf Ranger (Hunting Bow or Warbow)
+Bear Companion

I think a setup like this balances a lot of different things a party might want to be strong in (ranged v. melee, disabling v. damage, offensive power v. defences); in particular, I think having two characters with shields, two with reach weapons and two with missile weapons lets a party be strong in typical dungeon narrow defile without being overwhelmed in the open. Parties which are more homogeneous (Priest + Wizard + 4 Chanters or Priest + Druid + 4 Rangers) could be fun for a while but would probably get old before you complete the game.

Arkeus

Arcane
But what do you do against the dreaded "Slay All Dwarves" spell?

Shevek

Arcane
I'm probably going with something like this...

Moon Godlike Paladin with some 2 Hander (mgt, int, res)
Hearth Orlan Chanter Main Character going Sword and Board (res, int, per - talking stats)
Hearth Orlan Rogue with Tall Grass (dex, per, mgt)
Wood Elf Ranger with a Bow (dex, per, mgt), not sure on pet
Wood Elf Mage with an implement (int, dex, per)
Fire Godlike Priest with an Arquebus (dex, mgt, int)

Crichton

Prophet
But what do you do against the dreaded "Slay All Dwarves" spell?

A spell to slay all dwarves? Bah, let's see the fool cast it before dwarves slay all.

800px-Duergar_abduction.jpg

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I switched my druid to robes. The point of the full plate was to let him get close enough to use storms while shrugging off divers and incidental AoE damage but eventually full plate gets too weak for that. Now I just keep him in the back and have him spam long range spells.

Zetor

Arcane
I switched my druid to robes. The point of the full plate was to let him get close enough to use storms while shrugging off divers and incidental AoE damage but eventually full plate gets too weak for that. Now I just keep him in the back and have him spam long range spells.
Yea, I've been considering it too. Based on conventional POTD wisdom I read somewhere everyone is clad in plate and brigandine except for my cipher (who's in exceptional chain), but the cipher and druid are usually so far removed from combat that switching to lighter armor probably won't kill them. Then again, it seems that enemies purposefully beeline for weakest links if they're in range, and my frontliners can't hold/control them all. Sure, I can drop some trash summons to occupy the would-be gankers, but that's kinda like deploying flares to fend off a heat-seeking missile... they'll eventually run out.

My PotD party is still in the early game, so I haven't found any build-defining gear yet:

Fighter - supertank with hatchet and shield, main character (who else am I going to max both RES and PER on?!)
Chanter - hatchet and shield. He doesn't really attack anything himself, but still works well as a second tank. Ghost summon is critical to hit less-important enemy backline characters (like archers) without exposing the squishies.
Monk - 1h and shield (type of 1h doesn't matter much, it just needs high damage to fuel his abilities... gaun's share is pretty good early game thanks to endurance leech). Slow and accurate build with +healing taken gear and Eder's "second chance" armor. Not as tanky as the fighter and chanter, but reliably does a crapton of AOE damage when needed, and keeps himself up (for the most part).
Paladin - heavy armor alternating between pistol and 2-handed sword, so kinda like a space marine. Very good damage and keeps everyone else alive, too. Also, the accuracy aura is amazing.
Cipher - arbalest, considering switching to blunderbuss. Definitely the MVP, highest damage combined with powerful control abilities. Squishy, though.
Druid - using the soulbound scepter from the stronghold questline, but the main draw here is her tons of powerful damage spells as well as superior control options against beasts.

Everyone has high might except for the fighter, and typically high INT too; RES is 3 for everyone except for the two tanks, and CON is dumped for the backliners. DEX is dumped on the chanter, fighter and monk (I do most of my damage through wound abilities, plus he has a self-haste) and mediocre on the rest; I decided to pump PER on them instead for more reliability. Both the cipher and druid have a hatchet+shield option to fend off melee, though that's more of a last-ditch thing since it kills the cipher's focus generation. For the druid I typically go bear-form against random mooks going for the backline anyway -- it seems to hit really fucking hard, even on POTD.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've only played through the main campaign once, creating only a single character. I thought I'd try a full party when both parts of the expansion were out but now I've decided to do another single character playthrough to play with the new NPCs. When I do get around to a full party playthrough, I've thought a little about about it a bit and come up with the following:

Mad Dwarves of the White Wastes

Boreal Dwarf Paladin (Warhammer + Shield) (Main Character)
Boreal Dwarf Monk (Axe + Shield)
Borael Dwarf Priest of Wael (Staff)
Borael Dwarf Barbarian (Pike)
Boreal Dwarf Druid (Crossbow or Arbalast)
Boreal Dwarf Ranger (Hunting Bow or Warbow)
+Bear Companion

I think a setup like this balances a lot of different things a party might want to be strong in (ranged v. melee, disabling v. damage, offensive power v. defences); in particular, I think having two characters with shields, two with reach weapons and two with missile weapons lets a party be strong in typical dungeon narrow defile without being overwhelmed in the open. Parties which are more homogeneous (Priest + Wizard + 4 Chanters or Priest + Druid + 4 Rangers) could be fun for a while but would probably get old before you complete the game.

Hahah I went with 6 Boreal Dwarfs (females ofc) too.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I think full plate on casters is good til around level 8. Then you switch to something light so you can cast a big volume of setup spells before the enemies can engage properly.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, I only ever used robes on Aloth and Durance, but then I don't have characters with 3 Resolve. When you get to fine robes, they give you 5DR which is pretty good, and with the low recovery penalty you can cast pretty fast, which is my priority. If you have 3 or 4 characters you can use to stop and engage enemies who go for your backliners, you don't need heavy armor on the backliners, although I have arcane veil ready on Aloth just in case.

Zetor

Arcane
According to Pope Amole's guide, plate armor doesn't significantly decrease attack speed for dual-wielding or gun-using characters due to the way animation frames work (essentially, recovery % only affects one of the animation types, it does nothing for reloading a gun f'rex), so it may be a better option for those chars. I go with heavy armor on most of my characters because on POTD enemies are so numerous and have such high HP/protections that no fight is going to end quickly, rendering most burst- or crit-oriented strategies moot... and at that point you may just stick everyone* in plate armor anyway. Maybe the druid can get by with using some high-end robes / leather armor, because casting speed there tends to be a lot more critical than for the rest of my party (cipher #1 spell is the level 3 death beam that's a long channel in either case, and #2 is the single-target charm that still goes off in time if I am proactive about using it)

* ciphers may be a real exception here, since attacking faster is necessary for building focus quickly. But then ciphers tend to use guns and arbalests, which are in turn not really affected by recovery penalties in the first place...

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just wrote to Sawyer to ask him about action/recovery speed calculations. I don't know what Pope Amole's conclusions are based on, and I don't want to research this on my own, I don't have the time and I might mess something up and end up with wrong results.

I rarely have enemies reaching my backliners even on PotD. What's more often a problem is them being targeted by ranged enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom