Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

The game seems to not gather any attention at all, even after 2 days it barely scraped 18k players online.
I think it is because the novelty effect wore of. Uncle Vince got it right.

Vault Dweller said:
As you probably noticed a number of indie and not so indie sequels have done very poorly lately, selling anywhere from 10 to 30% of the original title - XCOM2, Banner's Saga 2, Legend of Grimrock 2, Blackguards 2, etc. My explanation of this phenomenon is that unless you have a AAA blockbuster with massive appeal, you don't go for a sequel because it would never sell as much as the original because the public perspective would be "it's more of the same".

Success of the first game often fools developers into thinking that they can do even better or at least as good with a second 'bigger and better' game, but it's rarely the case. The only exceptions to the rule are games that offer building, sandbox, and well-executed killing loop activities that people never seem to be tired of. Darkest Dungeon is a fucking monster but I bet if they go for a sequel it will sell less than a third of the original.

What is hilarious is that Vault Dweller invited Feargus I-like-to-Mismanage-my-Own-Company Urquhart to give advice in the same update and he said exactly the opposite!

That's great business advice Mr. Urquhart. You really know what you are talking about, don't you?

Just from reading what VD has posted over the years I believe he is very perceptive and has a great mind for looking at things and coming to different and smarter conclusions than other people. As well he seems unafraid to act on the different opinions he comes to even when he is going against the consensus. I guess part of it is an ability to trust his own conclusions and not be too afraid of making mistakes. He seems to have no problem bucking conventional wisdom..... likely even relishes it. Good attributes IMO for a guy running his own small company.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The wall in temple of Ondra apparently requires two pieces of cornett to open. I only got one from Takano, anyone knows where the second piece is?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Eheh, 5th level passives on casters

- +% to healing on spells
- +range on spells
- +base hp every level
- +% speed for all spells (!)

Not very banalced tbh, I just skipped on most 5th level spells because of this :?

Sizzle

Arcane
Great, even the talking sword is lesbian

glamazon_way11.jpg

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished the initial island, and I decided just to explore the entire map and collect bounties first. My first ship battle was a disaster, because I thought I could just ram it and win on the boarding action. The boat I rammed has 5+ gunners that focused fired on squishy party members. I am at the point where I may just have everyone in plate armor to stop that shit. Furthermore, unlike PoE1, I am not swimming in nearly as much gold, and food, water, and moral deplete faster than I expected.

At the dig site, I liked that Obsidain did not feed the answer to the "puzzle" (if it deserves to be called that) with some random note.
Two of the statutes in the bottom right of the map have shields with symbols on it. Those symbols are two of the three symbols you need to activate to shutoff the fire blocking the loot.

I also had a slight scare with Pallegina and thought I blew it due to my PoE1 choices.
I met her at the capital city and she refused to join my party. When I went to the palace to pick up Maia, there was a prompt for Pallegina to represent the Valian company, but a NPC chimed in that she was banished from Valia for PoE1 events. At that point, I thought it would be impossible to recruit her, because of my decision in PoE1. Luckily, she was summoned to the Valian embassy and I could recruit her then and there.

Finally, finding Rekke on flotsam was actually pretty neat. Unless he is randomly generated, I imagine a lot of people could miss him.

Parabalus

Arcane
Played a bit more and I can pretty confidently state that the itemization in Deadfire is better than the IE games, even Bg2 - it's certainly more interesting.

Some choice picks:

• Cloak which adds stun on stealth attacks, snake helmet which adds poison on stealth attacks
  • Grimoire which adds +1 cast/level (+50%) at the cost of everything interrupting you, unique spell Grimoires (PoE1 style)
  • Godlike-only amulet with bonuses depending on the God
  • Bunch of Bane weapons, but all have a twist instead of straight up +x/+x vs y
  • Arcing (Chain Lightning-like), Multishot and AoE shot ranged weapons - all with different rules
  • Multihit/area melee weapons, they and the above can friendly fire
  • Ring which protects from getting drunk, effective in quests
  • Branching enchantments unique to each item, every unique is basically like the spear which you handcraft in PoE1
  • Items with effects that depend on skills, e.g. shield which steal souls based on Metaphysics or Bow which gains +Dam based on survival and restores HP to allies based on Religion on kill
  • Emergency medical sawbone which removes injuries for -5 DEF until rest
  • Item abilities are mostly per rest and unique to them item - often with an exclusive icon, like Boots who give giant Leap
  • There are some per Encounter/passive ones, a shield which gives a buff when engaged or an amulet which lets you decide between passive +15% outgoing and incoming melee damage, or the reverse, tower shield which buffs only allies. Almost every passive is conditional.
  • The standard Celestial Fury/Carsomyr do something on hit/crit
  • Bunch of stuff that adds Power Level to specific keywords, like +3 to Restoration or +2 to Plant
  • Sabers and pirate hats+eyepatches ahoy
  • Gold is scarce as fuck, enchants cost 30k, ship upgrades cost 30k - no way you're getting everything you want early or at all
There is more to add, but I seriously doubt anyone judging Deadfire's itemization will find it wanting, even if they considered PoE1's (extremely) bland. Honestly, Deadfire makes IE games items look as bland as PoE's by comparison.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, do y'all know if there's a general problem with savegame-import-reactivity, or does it just happen to some people?
I haven't left the first island yet, so didn't really experience much of those yet (Berath-promise was remembered correctly in the prologue though, as was
Aloth being head of the Leaden Key, at least from what I gathered thus far
).
But if it's a general problem, I might wait for the patch.
If it only happens with some players, I will try my luck and play on.
Anyone having any information on this?

Parabalus

Arcane
So, do y'all know if there's a general problem with savegame-import-reactivity, or does it just happen to some people?
I haven't left the first island yet, so didn't really experience much of those yet (Berath-promise was remembered correctly in the prologue though, as was
).

I think it's just the baby (rarely) and Eder (commonly - happened to me, Eothas instead of Major), rest seemed to be in order.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
).
So far, I think my import save applied my choices without issue.
Granted, I chose to have Aloth lead the Leaden Key.

Edit: Actually, there is one issue I just thought of just now, so I guess I have a partial import save error.
The Orlan baby! I completely forgot.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Can you even steal ships in this game?
I was in ship combat (the CYOA shit) for like 20 minutes constantly shooting at the crew and the AI just kept replenishing it, so I don't think you can. Had to destroy the hull to end the fight.
Uhhh you can just smash 1 until you get in to boarding distance. In 20 fights i got shoot at only 3 times,the ai is not very bright.

Also does anyone feels really annoyed at the companions AI? It constantly runs around and changes targets so it could use some pointless skill.
I was trying to see if it'd let me capture the enemy ship if I managed to take out the crew during the encounter. Didn't know you could smash into them though lol.
I never play with scaling,three red skulls means that they are over your level,they could be a lot of fun unless the enemies are many. I the pic where i pickpocket a head,there is pretty interesting battle if you are underleveled,i had to pull them in small linear place and kill the constructs one by one, and the last one was almost indestructible because difference in levels give them more armour or you have less penetration. There are battles that you don't expect to be a problem, i go my ass handled by a bunch of Xaurips....twice.

Maybe one of the eligible bachelors on this forum could move to Irvine and teach these writers the ways of love.
Trashos , fantadomat !
Joke aside i am pretty confident that i could write a better characters than this sorry bunch of twatter meisters. But i would never go to merica,a place of rot and degeneracy,if any of the European devs was in need of it,i would have tried my luck.

PS: AwesomeButton if you are that much butthurt over me pirating the game,then you are free to gift it to me :lol:.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I solidified my standing with one of the factions, automatically failing all the other faction quests, so I assume I'm a quest or two away from the end. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow or the next day. Right now, though, the word that seems to most aptly describe the game for me is 'shallow'. Most features - story, ship combat, exploration, companions - feel to have the bare minimum of depth to them. Companions seem to have about six conversations each, during sea travel I constantly got the same three events, the main plot is apparently only a few quests long, and the vast majority of the map has no connection to the plot or factions, leaving the majority of it fairly content-thin.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
About everyone being bi in Deadfire:
  • Maia and Seraphen told me they're sailors and that anything goes anywhere at sea
  • Teheku is a self-declared whore and Godlike
  • Aloth has the Islemyr angle?
  • dunno bout Xoti
Sounds reasonable enough, but still funny it's everyone.
5 out of 5 randomly chosen people in the Deadfire Archipelago are bisexual? Come on.

PS: AwesomeButton if you are that much butthurt over me pirating the game,then you are free to gift it to me :lol:.
It did cross my mind to do it, just to shame you, but then I'm sure you wouldn't feel any shame, so I dropped the idea. ;)

Do I come across as butthurt? I couldn't give two shits about you pirating the game, but I'll troll you for this until I stop feeling like it :lol: Not even putting real effort right now.

Anyway, I wanted to share this:

CENIC said:
I've deleted WEM files without repercussions, so removing voiced audio for NPCs is possible.
However, I also am not a fan of Xoti's voice, and there doesn't seem to be a way to remove ALL of her VO without breaking something.

Perkel

Arcane
For me game is almost bug free. I found only one bug where sound for some reason stopped until i restart game and one crash so far. What i noticed though is that despite my GTX980 and i5-3570K@4.5Ghz framerate seems to fluctuate in cities which causes slight stutter.

What i love about graphics are new gibs. They are fantastic and it feels really good to get nice crit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The wall in temple of Ondra apparently requires two pieces of cornett to open. I only got one from Takano, anyone knows where the second piece is?
It is in the first levle of the dungeon,the one you get in if you take the gulak lift. It is in a pond with a bug statue,you have to swim :).

Elex

Arbiter
I'm on holidays in Spain so have not been able to play yet, but this seems like a correct summary;

- Game is received more positively than expected by the Codex though still with flaws, opinions will improve further when combat and bugs are patched.
- Especially character building, writing, C&C, art and exploration are good. Combat will be deemed reasonably good when difficulty is adjusted.
- Critic reviews are good overall but especially mainstream reviewers (IGN, Gamespot) seem not overly impressed/excited.
- the large bulk of modern gamers are in the same boat as Gamespot and find it all a bit too overwhelming and too much work. Sales do not reach PoE 1 levels.
- Obsidian leadership (and other developers) will conclude that these ''old-school'' crpgs where succesful as a one-off thing driven by nostalgia but provide no viable template for business continuity. PoE 3 wil have more colorful, flashy, 3D graphics with heavily streamlined character building and combat, inspired by DoS2 though still RTWP.
no simply that people want more divinity and less poe

Parabalus

Arcane
  • Maia and Seraphen told me they're sailors and that anything goes anywhere at sea
  • dunno bout Xoti
5 out of 5 randomly chosen people in the Deadfire Archipelago are bisexual? Come on.

They aren't randomly chosen, that was my point.

I agree 5/5 is either pandering (doubt it) or just a way to avoid headaches, both are funny.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Peoples sexual orientation in an rpg doesnt really bother me... yeah ok, lesbians, yeah ok gay, yeah okay tranny whatever living int he sword, touch my hilt.. WTF.. uyeah hwatever.

Stay calm, and carry on! It's dumb, but it can be disregarded all the same and quickly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
  • dunno bout Xoti

It did cross my mind to do it, just to shame you, but then I'm sure you wouldn't feel any shame, so I dropped the idea. ;)

Do I come across as butthurt? I couldn't give two shits about you pirating the game, but I'll troll you for this until I stop feeling like it :lol: Not even putting real effort right now.

Anyway, I wanted to share this:

CENIC said:
I've deleted WEM files without repercussions, so removing voiced audio for NPCs is possible.
However, I also am not a fan of Xoti's voice, and there doesn't seem to be a way to remove ALL of her VO without breaking something.
Hahahaha i will be incredibly ashamed mate,will cry in the corner of shame :).

Yeah i know that you are trolling me mate,i am grateful that my pirate ratings are rising thanks to you :cool:.

On another note,does anyone knows if Aloth is bugged or is he a total asshole? In my game he is the only one that have -1 and hates everyone,maybe he is getting all positives as negatives.

PS:There is no such thing as bi,only gays pretending to be normals.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Peoples sexual orientation in an rpg doesnt really bother me... yeah ok, lesbians, yeah ok gay, yeah okay tranny whatever living int he sword, touch my hilt.. WTF.. uyeah hwatever.

Stay calm, and carry on! It's dumb, but it can be disregarded all the same and quickly.
To be fair to Deadfire, and Josh, it's easier to avoid them than in any other game. I'm just annoyed by the writers' lazy approach.

On another note,does anyone knows if Aloth is bugged or is he a total asshole? In my game he is the only one that have -1 and hates everyone,maybe he is getting all positives as negatives.
He is both buggered in the asshole, and an asshole. So it's hard to tell. I just got him, so I'll be able to confirm if this is an issue soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom