Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pure combatfag RPGs

Martyr

Arcane
This is good news! It means Pierre can afford more roots to eat, and continue development of KoTC 2.
:incline:

Battle Brothers.
Chaos Gate.
Warbanners.
yes, Battle Brothers is a pure combatfag game! I've played that game long enough to know most of the text so I can just skip any written word.
I do own Warhammer Chaos Gate, never played it though.
Warbanners is supposed to be really similar to Battle Brothers so I don't know if I should purchase that game or just stick with BB.

Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics is easy, but very fun if you like turn-based D&D combat. It was only released on the Sony PSP, but I'm sure that there must be emulation options by now.

Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is better than its reputation suggests, especially if you're just interested in combat.

thanks for the recommendations! never heard of D&D Tactics but I do know of PoR:RoMDs existence.

I guess you won't be hearing a single word from me tomorrow, but keep on suggesting games please !!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Warbanners is supposed to be really similar to Battle Brothers so I don't know if I should purchase that game or just stick with BB.
It does a bit its own thing with siege scenarios and environment that can be manipulated (trees can be felled, units can place obstacles, things can be set on fire).
Also player gets magic users.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You don't need a Paypal account to buy something using Paypal, you can transaction as a guest using credit card or debit card. The invoice and receipt will go to your email address.

Now stop denying yourself KoTC.

Wizfall

Cipher
My list of favorite games is the same as your to a surprising degree (W8 - JA2 - BattleB etc... to the less famous ones as Fantasy General, i loved that game !).
So my recommendation :
- paper sorcerer and Wizard and Warrior are disappointing
- Battle of Wesnoth is very good (similar to Fantasy General except no research)
- Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with expansions is awesome (i play only solo big maps, not campaign though)

Gregz

Arcane
- Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with expansions is awesome (i play only solo big maps, not campaign though)

This reminds me, King's Bounty: Crossworlds is quite excellent.

There's also Zangband, Diablo I, Diablo II, Path of Exile, and Borderlands if you prefer loot-oriented games.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
SSI's Gold Box games, starting with either Pool of Radiance (1988) or Champions of Krynn (1990). Also, their predecessor, Wizard's Crown (1986).

If you're willing to try real-time, action-based combat, then Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2012/2013), Demon's Souls & Dark Souls (2009, 2011), or Severance: Blade of Darkness (2001).

If you're so much more interested in combat than exploration or character development, you could try a squad-based tactics game with RPG elements, such as X-Com (1994) or Jagged Alliance 2 (1999) and their relatives.

Goblino

Savant
Since silent storm was mentioned, i feel I have to shill for hammer and sickle. It's a glorified mod of SS that features a really touch and go espionage campaign in post war germany. You recruit your party of unlikely allies from people you meet as you try to find the information and resources necessary to complete the mission in time. I always found it more compelling than SS, because you have to actively manage your supplies and find people willing and able to fix or sell your weapons. Plenty of cnc too. Sort of like a russian Way of the Samurai in some respects. A Way of the Spetsnaz, if you will.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is actually an underrated gem, especially if you're into first person combat. Strongly recommend it.
At least it was when it came out. Some of the combat stuff they did appears to have been modded into the Elder Scrolls series.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At least it was when it came out. Some of the combat stuff they did appears to have been modded into the Elder Scrolls series.
I played it well over five years ago, and couldn't even get it to run again on Windows 10, so perhaps it hasn't aged as well as I remember it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This thread seems like it needs a Fallout Tactics recommendation. If you have any issues you can try modding the stupid out. I think it is worth a shot, even if you bounce off it. At some point you run out of games to try.

Twizman

Scholar
Title strongly describes my preference for rpgs. My favourites: Wizardry V (psx), Dragon Warrior II/III (hardtype). Phantasy Star IV, FFIV, Baldur's Gate (sword coast stratagems) have limited interruptions with lots of great combat. Currently playing Wizardry Prisoners of the Battles, off to a good start.

Just bought Dragon Quest XI, going to test being open to a more modern experience. I much prefer the early Dragon Quest/FF's as I previously couldn't be bothered sitting through cutscenes/long animations/sequenced zones with limited freedom.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Xcom Apocalypse was improved by leaps and bounds compared to the first 2 xcoms, and it is by far the better game. Anyone who claims otherwise has either:

1) Never played Xcom Apocalypse, or at least never played it 20 years ago when it was released and relevant and only half-ashed trying it decades later

2) Never played the original XCOMS and just pretends to support them because that is what the general concensus on the internet is supposed to say and they want to appear cool and "knowledgable". I mean, if "everyone knows the original XCOM was the best", why form your own opinion, right?

Xcom Apocalypse was criticized for its city. Morons back in the day felt it was "smaller in scale" compared to the whole earth of previous games. But this was far from the truth. In reality the globe in the early XCOMS was an empty texture full of nothing, while the Mega Cities in Xcom Apocalypse were full to the brim with detail, factions, and stuff that interconnected with each other. Xcom's Apocalypse faction system has never been surpassed to this day. The Government was a faction, police was a fanction, army was a faction, medicare was a fuction, energy producers were a faction, gangs were a faction, etc etc. Each with their own political agenda and different relations to both Xcom and to each other. If they turned hostile to you, you could expect them to attack you and refuse to cooperate. Lose the Megapol (police) and you even stop receiving alien alerts... Lose energy producers and you won't have fuel for your vehicles, or Marsec and you won't have ammunition for your guns...

The buildings both on the map and at the tactical level were fully destroyable. Unlike the first 2 Xcoms the overworld map was a place with a huge significance and gameplay.

And at the tactical level, Xcom Apocalypse added real time without removing turn based. You could play Apocalypse in the manner of the older games or you could play real time with pause. I prefered real time with pause because it was faster.

If you ask people what made the original Xcom better than Apocalypse, most will say stuff like "atmosphere". In gaming, everytime someone claims his game is better than yours and the only argument he has is "atmosphere", you know he is full of shit.

PS: A nice brofist to everyone who proposed Fallout Tactics. What an underrated game. Most faggots hated it because it was hard. Not everything can be a walk in the park like Fallouts 1 & 2 kids...

Cael

Arcane
so X-Com Apocalypse is pretty high on my to-play list right now because the general consesus seems to be that it's worth playing.
XCom Apoc has gravity physics that does not exist anywhere else. Shoot a support column and whatever it is supporting comes crashing down, including your guy if he happens to be on that section. Overhead thing drops on someone, he takes damage or dies. Shoot a building and destroy the ground floor and the rest of the building comes down. It is not like the first XCom where you blow up the entire ground floor with a blaster bomb and the rest of the building floats in mid-air.

Same goes for explosions. Apoc explosions are 3D, meaning if you are floating above a vortex mine and it goes off, you can and will get killed. XCom1 doesn't have that, IIRC (I have played too many games of OpenXCom with the 3D explosions enabled for me to remember what the original was like).

Apoc is a plain better engine than XCOM1, including an early version of an emergent AI where NPC organisations will raise or lower their estimation of you based on what you do, how much aliens have infiltrated them and whom you attacked. They even fight amongst themselves, notably between Megapol and the various outlaw gangs.

XCOM1 has the advantage of being the first in the series and virtually unlimited peons and weapons/ammo that you can buy to throw into the grind, which is fun for some people. You have to husband your resources a lot better in Apoc as you won't have unlimited troops or weapons or ammo to buy. Vehicle combat is a lot more dangerous as you have limited numbers you can buy, and the numbers replenished are random every week.

I find Apoc to be a much better and tighter game while XCom1 to be the kind of game I know I have won in the first month or so.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Xcom Apocalypse was improved by leaps and bounds compared to the first 2 xcoms, and it is by far the better game. Anyone who claims otherwise has either:

1) Never played Xcom Apocalypse, or at least never played it 20 years ago when it was released and relevant and only half-ashed trying it decades later

2) Never played the original XCOMS and just pretends to support them because that is what the general concensus on the internet is supposed to say and they want to appear cool and "knowledgable". I mean, if "everyone knows the original XCOM was the best", why form your own opinion, right?

Xcom Apocalypse was criticized for its city. Morons back in the day felt it was "smaller in scale" compared to the whole earth of previous games. But this was far from the truth. In reality the globe in the early XCOMS was an empty texture full of nothing, while the Mega Cities in Xcom Apocalypse were full to the brim with detail, factions, and stuff that interconnected with each other. Xcom's Apocalypse faction system has never been surpassed to this day. The Government was a faction, police was a fanction, army was a faction, medicare was a fuction, energy producers were a faction, gangs were a faction, etc etc. Each with their own political agenda and different relations to both Xcom and to each other. If they turned hostile to you, you could expect them to attack you and refuse to cooperate. Lose the Megapol (police) and you even stop receiving alien alerts... Lose energy producers and you won't have fuel for your vehicles, or Marsec and you won't have ammunition for your guns...

The buildings both on the map and at the tactical level were fully destroyable. Unlike the first 2 Xcoms the overworld map was a place with a huge significance and gameplay.

And at the tactical level, Xcom Apocalypse added real time without removing turn based. You could play Apocalypse in the manner of the older games or you could play real time with pause. I prefered real time with pause because it was faster.

If you ask people what made the original Xcom better than Apocalypse, most will say stuff like "atmosphere". In gaming, everytime someone claims his game is better than yours and the only argument he has is "atmosphere", you know he is full of shit.

PS: A nice brofist to everyone who proposed Fallout Tactics. What an underrated game. Most faggots hated it because it was hard. Not everything can be a walk in the park like Fallouts 1 & 2 kids...

I won't badmouth Apocalypse for being different, but the art style sucked. That is my main complaint when trying to delve into it. I will get around to giving it my full autism at a later date after I work my way all the way through the other two.

People that played Tactics are divided into a couple of camps.

1)Lorefags - they did not like hairy deathclaws due to autism overload overriding their reasoning. This is also due to the Van Buren fuckover. These fans would hardly exist now if Van Buren existed.
2)RPGfags - they hate any tactics in their games.
3)Legitcomplaintfags - people that cannot play CTB I feel for you, but try it on for size. The bugs are now mostly fixed.
4)People that can overcome that shit/Tophatfag - None of the problems listed are a real obstacle to a true Tophatfag.

Cael

Arcane
Fallout Tactics.
Oh yeah. Tactics is a good game for what it is: turn based (or RT, but FO and RT is a big no-no for me) squad tactics game where you can control how the squad members improve.

In fact, I am playing it now :D

See you in St Louis... Heh heh heh!

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I won't badmouth Apocalypse for being different, but the art style sucked. That is my main complaint when trying to delve into it. I will get around to giving it my full autism at a later date after I work my way all the way through the other two.
They were deliberately going for the retro 50s look, and succeeded pretty well, I thought, including the 50s rocketships :D

Bigg Boss

Arcane
They were deliberately going for the retro 50s look, and succeeded pretty well, I thought, including the 50s rocketships :D

I feel ya. If I squint it feels like retro future Fallout. My meaning is also related to liking the older style sprite graphics as well. I don't care for the 90's Guile haircuts and all that cheesy shit in old Xcom either though, so it evens out. I think another factor that effect the enjoyment of the game is not owning the original manual. I hate reading manuals through pdf files.

I know, I know...

fde9354361726d4174ea0a9929b8fabd.jpg

Cael

Arcane
I feel ya. If I squint it feels like retro future Fallout. My meaning is also related to liking the older style sprite graphics as well. I don't care for the 90's Guile haircuts and all that cheesy shit in old Xcom either though, so it evens out. I think another factor that effect the enjoyment of the game is not owning the original manual. I hate reading manuals through pdf files.
You don't need the manual. If you have played the previous XComs, Apoc will come to you pretty fast without needing the manual. I never used it, for one thing. I just went straight into the game and never looked back.

Just watch where you use explosives. The first time I fired a heavy rocket, it took down the Anthropod, the pillar behind it, the platform on the pillar, 4 walkways, and the entire glass front of a 3 storey store.

The mall owner was NOT happy... And gravity is a bitch.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Aethra Chronicles
Wizardry 1-7 (especially 6-7)
Disciples of Steel
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Exile 1-3
Dungeon Master and its clones
Dragon Wars (best Bard's Tale)
Magic Candle 1-3
etc, etc.

Cael

Arcane
Aethra Chronicles
Wizardry 1-7 (especially 6-7)
Disciples of Steel
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Exile 1-3
Dungeon Master and its clones
Dragon Wars (best Bard's Tale)
Magic Candle 1-3
etc, etc.
I wouldn't call Magic Candle a combatfag game... If you don't take everything down, you're pretty much screwed in that game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Does it ?
While i can't stand Battle Brothers (it's visceral) i enjoyed Warbanners a lot (the potion fix is probably included by now, if it isn't, it's needed, some missions are annoying as hell when the AI has too many of them, i remember one in a cave against vampires and lichs, narrows passages, fire bombs and stun bombs ... ).

Ah, i should have known about FG and Incubation, great classics.

About Battle for Wesnoth someone mentioned, i was a big fan when it started a very long time ago, i tried to come back to it 5/8 month ago but i quit after 15 minutes so either it has no re-playability, it didn't age well or that's just me, still, it doesn't compare to FG.

This reminds me, King's Bounty: Crossworlds is quite excellent.

I second that, even if some late fight might be painful but that's just me and my HoMM habits, playing a no losses "challenge" (which is impossible here, you'll lose at least a couple of units, still an as less as possible losses is acceptable )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom