Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's WoW nowadays?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
inwoker said:
Tell me guys, is PvM in this game more enjoyable then, say diablo? What's overall fun to play WoW? The only MMO that I played was Ultima Online on non-official shard. Since I was kid I loved the game. But as I remmember now it's boring as hell game with no pvp and no pvm, large amount of iron and log digging.

It's nothing like Diablo; you're usually only fighting one or two monsters at once, and it's generally a lot easier. Try the 10-day trial for yourself and see if you like it. It helps if you play with a friend or two.

so yea, i got hacked. turns out changing your password, and email is not enough to stop a key logger. the chink sold all of my shit and sent it to himself, all i have left is 4 mercs, and brutal gloves. I talked to a GM and all i got was the typical 'were looking into it' bull shit. I swear, IP's from china shouldnt even be allowed to enter the European or American versions of the game.

Im either gonna buy a blood elf rogue, or just quit the game altogether.

That's happened to me before, give it a few days and you should get your stuff back. The keylogger could still be on your machine, be careful when you change your password.

They had better. The cunt sold all the sentimental shit I had in the bank. Bloodrazor, (my first epic), full darkmantle set (reminder of pre-tbc times), and a bunch of other things I was keeping. The most annoying thing is how he actually went into the fucking guild bank and took all the money stored, and now I've been demoted and have to pay the GM back. Christ.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Shota Shernokavich said:
They had better. The cunt sold all the sentimental shit I had in the bank. Bloodrazor, (my first epic), full darkmantle set (reminder of pre-tbc times), and a bunch of other things I was keeping. The most annoying thing is how he actually went into the fucking guild bank and took all the money stored, and now I've been demoted and have to pay the GM back. Christ.

Don't worry, GMs usually do give back your stuff. Has happened to me also (am glad to see I'm not alone in this thread) and a GM contacted me, quite nicely, and recreated pretty much every single green/rare/epic I owned--even a few I didn't. (For example, the Carrot on a Stick which I vendored a long time ago was returned for some reason, and I think a few pre-TBC epics that I either disenchanted or vendored too. Hey, not going to protest.) Unfortunately, my gold wasn't returned, but you can't have it all, and gold's not a big deal in Outland anyway.

Annonchinil said:
I got my Priest to level 20 but am getting bored, especially since out of the 5 new abilities I got none are usefull on this lengthy grind quest.

The high point of a priest alt's life, I feel, is level 40. Or at least a shadow priest's. Shadowform and so on, and able to start wearing Dreamweave too.

Btw, other warlocks: I've just respecced from SM/Ruin to a somewhat non-standard (but not by a great fat lot--I just didn't want shadowburn, as it's useless in PvE unless I'm whoring for top DPS in a heroic, and we all know how meaningful that is) 42/0/19, as I don't have nearly the crit enough to make Ruin worthwhile and UA is supposed to be more DPS anyway. What do you think? My gear's still a bit shit, and I have no spell hit to speak of (58: a far cry from the requisite 202), which I'm trying to rectify. Currently I have something like 169 badges, but I can't decide whether to go for a Scryer's Blade of Focus or buy two pieces from badge vendor, choosing from between:

Fused Nethergon Band
Boots of Incantations
Legwraps of Sweltering Flame
Shroud of the Lore'nial

Obviously I despise the spirit on those items (fuck you, the stat allotment could have been put in more spell dmg/hit or stamina!), but the alternative is to go with pieces with no spell hit at all but plenty of spell crit, and theorycrafters all have it that spell hit is king over crit. This is my current gear. Ditched some things recently: spell crit off a weapon and a ring, a few points of stamina from a ring, and 5% less stamina from not taking Demonic Embrace. I hope I've made the right choice, as currently my HP bar is scarcely bigger than my mana pool. D:

psycojester

Arbiter
Shota Shernokavich said:

Well if you're too stupid to go over your system with a fine tooth comb after getting hit by a keylogger once what did you think was going to happen? You do know they don't just pull your details out of the air in a twinkle of pixie dust. The keylogger is something you've download and need to remove, otherwise they're just going to log your new name and password next time you log in.

As for you Lesifoere, your spell hit is absolutely fucking terrible. The warlock spell hit cap is up around the 202 mark, keeping in mind that suppression only affects affliction spells, you're going to be missing a shitload with your shadowbolts, and you will be relying of those for a good deal of your dps in the endgame if you're aiming at raiding affliction.

Looking at your current gear my advice would be ditch the haste gear, you don't have the spell hit to justify it yet.

Swap out the bands of nefarious deeds for the runed spell cuffs from the pvp gear, you can get them for extra+spell hit, they do more dmg and they give you spell crit as well.'

Stop gemming with +9 dmg in all slots and use the yellow +spell hit gems in the appropriate slots, trying to gem for spell crit before reaching the spell hit cap seems a bit retarded to me.

Drop the eye of quagmirran and pick up the Scryer Blood Gem instead, at your gear- level its a much better trinket.

From the badge loot i'd take the Fused Nethergon band and replace the signet of ancient magics, from the fact that you have the ring i'm going to assume you've got a group capable of doing ZA reasonably well. In which case i'd advise running that until you can get Wubs Cursed Hexblade and the Hood of Hexing, both of those will help to really jack up your spell hit.

The Black Stalk should probably be replaced with the voodoo wand from the old badge loot, again the gem socket in it will help you.

If you can stand to do the extra Battlegrounds the new guardian pendant neckpieces are an absolute slap in the face to PvErs and insanely good. Get one of those and you won't be replacing it until you get to the Reliquary of Sorrows.

If you've got the cash for it i'd recommend getting yourself a belt of blasting, the fact that it doesn't have any stats on it will hurt your HP a bit, but the bonus hit, crit and dmg more than make up for the shortfall in stats.

Also if you're not going for the 2 piece bonus the t4 gloves aren't that brilliant and i'd recommend replacing them with the Studious wraps from the old badge loot vendor in Shatt, otherwise either swap out the shoulders for the t4 pieces or get the t4 hood.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Yeah, yeah, I know my spell hit sucks. That's why I'm in a hurry to replace/resocket gear. Understand, I left the game a long time ago and only came back recently, and since I don't want to get sucked back in too much, I'm going to stick mostly with casual ZA/Kara raiding and a few heroics here and there. Earning badges isn't going to be a fast process for me. Happily, my current guild can burn through most of ZA and the entirety of Kara with ease, provided I get the raid slot. I wish I hadn't been persuaded into raiding again, but it's been surprisingly... fun. I don't remember having enjoyed raiding for a long time, though I'm sure my feeling will change once my guild has enough people to enter 25-mans.

I do have the T4 head, as it happens, sitting in my bank and probably with empty sockets to boot. Would you genuinely recommend it? I'm wearing the gloves only because I haven't had a drop that's better. I've bad luck with drops, or I'd have been wielding prince's dagger since last year and wearing those gloves from Attumen. I've lost count of the time I've seen both bosses dead. Magtheridon never dropped a single thing for me either, and neither did Gruul or Maulgar or anything in SSC or TK that I've seen downed. Bleh.

Guild JC doesn't have Great Dawnstone, unfortunately. I'll shop around, I suppose; I do have the cash to spare and then some, enough to buy epic flying skill twice more if I felt like it. Belt of Blasting is within my means too, so that's another thing. Would you not recommend any of the armor pieces (leg/robe/boots) from new badge vendor, however? I'm hoping for the headpiece, blade, and boots from ZA, but knowing my luck if I rely on the random loot generator, I'm not going to see any of those for a long time. Provided I don't just lose the fucking roll.

psycojester

Arbiter
I really would advise getting the scholarly wraps, they're not to badge expensive and they're the best gloves you can get up until the t6 gloves drop. Warlock t5 gloves and pants are both absolute pieces of shit.

The set bonus for the t4 lock gear is pretty good, especially as a affliction lock. Because everything you do causes shadow dmg you'll be getting the proc fairly frequently, and the proc from that beats the spellstrike set.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Well, I'd prefer to get the T4 shoulders to achieve that set bonus if I'm breaking Spellstrike, but since we're not going to do 25-mans any time soon... (Not for lack of skill: most people in the guild have done BT/Hyjal, for god's sake. Just not enough people of certain classes. My server is frighteningly tank-starved, though healers seem to sprout everywhere.) Eh, I guess I'll put the helm on and stick with the gloves for now and spend the badges on other things while stuffing my sockets with Great Dawnstones.

psycojester

Arbiter
Frostmourne was the exact opposite, you couldn't throw a brick without it bouncing off a tank but the endgame guilds would fight tooth and claw to get hold of decent healers.

Xi

Arcane
I don't play anymore, stopped a long time ago, but if you guys are interested here is my character:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ne&n=Wiste

I went pretty far into raiding and I think it was the most fun I had with the game. We essentially went from Kara to Black Temple within about 3 months. Not too shabby. My guild was "Twilight" and I think they are still pretty high on the realm I was on.

Well, Wowjutsu is not working so I guess I can't show you the guild rank or check there current progression. Anyway, thought it would be cool if we share characters. My wow playing days are over, but it was still a decently enjoyable experience.

El Dee

Scholar
I went against everything I've ever preached and bought it a couple weeks ago and I have to say that I am having lots of fun. I have lvl 30 night elf hunter and am in a pretty cool guild.

I think it definitely makes the game more enjoyable when there are good people to play it with.

merry andrew

Erudite
I think it definitely makes the game more enjoyable when there are good people to play it with.
Yeah, MMOs kinda fail if there aren't people to play with. WoW is the first MMO where I've reached max level with a character and consistently play the endgame, which is Arena and Battlegrounds (personally). If there weren't people around me who play all the time, I dunno if I could've stuck with it.

Binary

Liturgist
I got a trial for this a couple days ago, and am considering buying it.

Advice on chars will be mucho appreciated ;)

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Binary said:
I got a trial for this a couple days ago, and am considering buying it.

Advice on chars will be mucho appreciated ;)

Okay:

1) melee characters tend to level slower and can't take on elite mobs/group quests with as much ease as ranged.

2) paladins are really really fucking painful to level.

3) hunter is the easiest class to play (though not to play well), with the most "escape" abilities from feigning death to sacrificing pet and running away.

4) in all my time WoWing and trying out several alts, I still haven't found any class that matches warlock in sheer self-reliance and efficiency. No other class I've played can take on four-five mobs of equal levels and then move on to the next group without stopping. Even an AOE grinding mage needs to stop and drink. A warlock, never. This may be a bias; my warlock is my main and was my first character ever.

5) do not play a warrior expecting it to be the simplest class. It's not. In WoW, non-spellcasters are just as complicated as spellcasters, if not more.

psycojester

Arbiter
Play a warlock, you level bloody quickly, you get a free mount at level 30 and your raid damage is some of the best in the game. The biggest downside is that the warlock t6 armour makes you look like skeletor at a gay nightclub.

Bluegrazz

Novice
I am on the free trial right now and although I hate the character models (why does my human mage look like he could bench press a truck?) I think the environments are really well done and artistic.....
So, I am going to buy the game tonight (wife bringing it home to me after she gets home from work) and from my understanding you can earn some free mount or something if you are an active player and bring a noob into the game. Anyone wanna sign me up and collect the reward just let me know.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Are you on US or EU? If the latter, I'd be happy to boost/make your life easier with a few bags and so on.

Bluegrazz

Novice
I dont buy leveled toons but thank you. IMO the whole fun of the game is archiving endgame and learning your class one level at a time- But thank you anyhow :)
I am really not committed to any server atm and have created a couple toons on a couple different server types just to get a feel for the game. I imagine I will probably end up on a PVP server but at this time I am still not sure (coming from EQ2 which has god awful PVP but fantastic PVE I have really never done alot of PVPing but WOW seems better set to PK)
I will be on a US server (so if you can suggest a good one I would be grateful) and again, if anyone wants to claim the free mount or whatever for signing me up just let me know.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered to ask. Is it important to start off with the expansion pack? Or does the expansion pack not really become valid until you level cap from the base game- Basically, I am asking if I should get the "battle chest" or if the regular game would suffice.

Bluegrazz

Novice
Are the Blood Elves a good "mage race" or merely cosmetically "better looking"? I would gladly fork over the extra cash to be able to play a caster who doesnt have arms the size of oak trees. I have even tossed around the idea of playing a Female because they just look better suited for the arcane arts....Perhaps not in terms of gameplay, but of immersion if that makes sense.

EDIT: Damn. I thought of another question if you would be so kind....In EQ2 there is a way to turn off your combat XP so you wont level through fighting. Many dont know this or if they do, they dont understand why this is advantageous. When combat XP is off, you still gain XP for completing quests along with disco (discovery) and AA or achievement. Someone who grinds levels or hits endgame asap pretty much fucks their toons out of AA and end up capped wioth a vastly underpowered toon than someone who levels slow and gets all their aa....I dont know if I am explaining it very well but are there any tricks to leveling that I should know or should I just rush to endgame? Thanx again.
Wow, thought of something else as well. Defence goes up (apparently) by getting struck in combat. If the game mechanics are anything like I imagine it would be in my best interest to allow my toon to take a good beating/heal/beating/heal (rinse and repeat) befor I attain even one level to get the defense bonus to my dex or con....OR do HP's just go up in a static fashion such as every wizzy gets x hit points every level (which would mean all wizzys would have the same HP at endgame.)
Sorry about typos and lack of clarity, im playing WOW watching the news and wrtiting this at the same time.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Cloaked Figure said:
second question, nope nothing like EQ2, you just level your character to level 70 either by grinding, or the funner way, questing. the former is about 2 weeks quicker than the latter.

Wtf? No. Questing is much, much, much faster leveling than grinding.

Binary

Liturgist
Lesifoere said:
Are you on US or EU? If the latter, I'd be happy to boost/make your life easier with a few bags and so on.

I'm EU and I play on Darkmoon Faire and Earthen Ring. No, I'm not looking for a boost or phat lewt, but if you feel like playing, do let me know :)

BTW I'm not (for now) much interested in PvP, more into PvE/RP

DiverNB

Liturgist
Cloaked Figure said:
oh yea this reminds me. a few weeks ago there was a whole thing on the US forums because a guild gave the legendary bow to a rogue. that rogues name is analogkid...i was thinking, where have i heard that name before? then i remembered. hes a member of the codex. not sure if he still posts here, the last post i saw from him was like 1 year ago.

I find it funny how most people that play to get up to that shit get all super pissed about shit like that and say "Well we all put in a lot of time and...blah blah"

Then you go out and point out they have no social life later because they play the game too much and suddenly they only play the game in their spare time, between fucking there model wife and taking the kids to baseball games.

Redeye

Arcane
As for D&D Online I can't see the point unless there is some kind of "Kill Lord British" opportunity. It's so dumbed down it's ridiculous.

Maybe there's an angle.

I read that some dungeons/quests can be completed by just getting to the end. I'll bet this involves acquiring a non-pickpocketable key.

On free trial I think I will just try to make the fastest character. Ranger/Monk/Barbarian with Dash. (I hope we can fiddle alignments at least.)

Super-fast guy could maybe just grind the get-to-the-end dungeons.

Armor has no effect on speed. I wonder if that also means guys in full plate will be able to leap over chasms right along with rogues.

Perhaps make a crafter that gives away free stuff to ruin the economy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom