Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

DeepOcean

Arcane
yet he's a millionaire and we're all just sad fat fucks. who's laughing now?
I dunno man, when Obsidian (when they still had someone talented in there) made New Vegas and a dangerously big portion of the Bethesdards actually considered New Vegas the best Fallout game and Fallout 4 was seen as a disappointment by a big portion of their fan base because it was seen as a downgrade from New Vegas (of course for those ignorant morons, Fallout 1 and 2 don't exist.), Bethesda reacted on a strange way.

They cut all contact with Obsidian, despite the game selling well and refuse to this day even remotely mention John Gonzalez and Avellone material, they actually stolen many things from New Vegas so they must had played the game. Sure, this can be downplayed as publisher doing its usual fuckery but Bethesda, a company that is used to resurrecting corpses for profit, don't even mentioning Ceasar's Legion for example? That seems odd and has the smell of creative jealously.

I dunno man, when Obsidian (when they still had someone talented in there) made New Vegas and a dangerously big portion of the Bethesdards actually considered New Vegas the best Fallout game and Fallout 4 was seen as a disappointment by a big portion of their fan base because it was seen as a downgrade from New Vegas (of course for those ignorant morons, Fallout 1 and 2 don't exist.), Bethesda reacted on a strange way.

They cut all contact with Obsidian, despite the game selling well and refuse to this day even remotely mention John Gonzalez and Avellone material, they actually stolen many things from New Vegas so they must had played the game. Sure, this can be downplayed as publisher doing its usual fuckery but Bethesda, a company that is used to resurrecting corpses for profit, don't even mentioning Ceasar's Legion for example? That seems odd and has the smell of creative jealously.
still millionaire. [woody harrelson drying tears with money]

Risewild

Arbiter
Todd Howard meets guys from CD Projekt Red:
ot3qh5n5g7411.png

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought the whole fucking point of this game was that there weren't going to be any NPCs.
You really thought they weren't going to give the game to gamejournos?
I haven't been paying close attention but what they pitched at e3 was a gameworld populated by players. That was a retarded idea to begin with even for bethesda but I would expect them to at least carry through with that retarded idea rather than make it more retarded.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I wouldn't be surprised if Todd eventually add NPCs through DLC, it will be the first game of their new monetizing model: "Pay to Not be Bored.".

DeepOcean

Arcane
I thought the whole fucking point of this game was that there weren't going to be any NPCs.
Those "factions" are just labels Bethesda hopes the Bethesdards will larp being part of, there are no faction NPCs as well, probably there is some computer out there with some message from the Brotherhood and you can "join" the faction that way to do some meaningless MMO grind to grind faction reputation.

They hope larpers will get a BoS power armor and do some lame ass bullshit like killing 10 scorched or find 20 pre war holotapes for being promoted.

Gerrard

Arcane

Why would they be keeping contact with them after fucking them out of that bonus money?

Codex Year of the Donut

Why would they be keeping contact with them after fucking them out of that bonus money?
did they deserve the bonus money for shitting out a buggy mess that took modders years to get into a remotely playable state?

DeepOcean

Arcane
did they deserve the bonus money for shitting out a buggy mess that took modders years to get into a remotely playable state?
As if Bethesda could claim any moral high ground on this regard.
You didn't answer my question.
Did they deserve a bonus for releasing an unfinished product?
Define unfinished product. How much unfinished? The game got 8.4 on metacritic, so it wasn't a buggy disaster or an enough of an unfinished product to be rated as a bad game.
They lost the bonus for 0.1 points on metacritic, doesn't matter how you think the game was bugged, that was a pretty shady thing for Bethesda as the game sold really well. It was the only Fallout FPS that is truly a decent game so it deserved more than that.

Well...you can claim Obsidian was retarded for signing that shit up, especially as the publisher that placed this clause has the control for the time of the release of the game and was the one responsible in part for Q&A but that doesn't clean Bethesda.

Okagron

Prophet
Bethesda was actually the one that did the Q&A and testing, so they have a big portion of the blame for the state New Vegas was at release.

In the pc release now at least umodded, the game is pretty stable. Only issue i had was crashing and that happened like 5 times in 300 hours. That's more than i can say for games like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
:nocountryforshitposters:

Like Okagron said, the Q&A and testing for Fallout New Vegas was Bethesda's responsibility.

This thing on shitting on Obsidian for releasing a buggy mess should be shitting on Bethesda for not have made a proper Q&A and testing of the game before release.

I like to shit on Obsidian as much as the next guy, but I don't like to shit on stuff they had no part of. Specially if by doing so, it prevents me from rightfully shitting on Bethesda.

Codex Year of the Donut
:nocountryforshitposters:

Like Okagron said, the Q&A and testing for Fallout New Vegas was Bethesda's responsibility.

This thing on shitting on Obsidian for releasing a buggy mess should be shitting on Bethesda for not have made a proper Q&A and testing of the game before release.

I like to shit on Obsidian as much as the next guy, but I don't like to shit on stuff they had no part of. Specially if by doing so, it prevents me from rightfully shitting on Bethesda.
So you're telling me these people didn't exist?
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_developers#Quality_Assurance

Risewild

Arbiter
Anthony Rogers wasn't a tester, he made animations for the game.
Casey Kwock was a Designer...

I guess when you do animations and have to see if they work, it technically counts as a tester... Same with when you design an area, you have to check to see if it looks ok in the game, so you're technically a tester too.

Ashley Betters is probably the only tester they had, and probably only to test if bugs/problems Obsidian fixed were actually fixed before sending the game to Bethesda for real testing.

Or are you telling me that a company will test a game like FNV with only 1 tester? Not to mention it is common knowledge that Bethesda was the one to do the real testing. So I don't know what you're trying to say here.

Here, have a quote:
This has caused some unfortunate misunderstandings for Obsidian. In the mid-2000s, Obsidian earned a reputation for releasing buggy or unfinished games, with Kotor II, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas all receiving criticisms in that regard. But Urquhart states it has always been the case that publishers, not developers, are responsible for providing QA.

“Even back in the day when we were doing stuff with BioWare, or Blizzard for that matter at Interplay, QA was done at Interplay,” Urquhart says. “But then there are these weird situations. With Neverwinter Nights 2, Atari was closing down their Santa Monica office, which we were originally working for. So there was no test locally, and Atari was still trying to figure out where they were going to test games. So we came to the arrangement – now I’m pretty sure we’d already signed up to do the game – we then just came to the thing of like, we would hire thirty testers and then Atari would pay for them.”

Because of unusual situations like this, and the flak that Obsidian received for them, the studio now stipulates precisely the terms of QA in any contract they sign with a publisher. “One of the things that we’ve had to learn to do is to actually, in our contract, to say the publisher must put this number of QA people on the game as of this date. And KEEP them on the game for the extent of, you know, from when the game is ready to be tested all the way through like a month or so after the game has been released.”

Gerrard

Arcane
As if Bethesda could claim any moral high ground on this regard.
You didn't answer my question.
Did they deserve a bonus for releasing an unfinished product?
It was finished by Bethesda's own standards.

If publishers can manipulate reviews to get higher scores, what makes you think they couldn't do the same to prevent a game from getting high scores?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom