Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

But what of our beloved choices and consequences? if you don't follow your own alignment and don't know it, make a mistake and lose an alignment shouldn't you live with that consequence? That's the type of RPG I'd like to see. Then you have to adapt and make due from what happened.
I'm enough of a metagamer that shit like that would annoy me. Because even if you believe you're following an alignment and taking alignment-appropriate actions, it's being run through the filter of multiple DMs and being nibbled away in an absolute ton of small dialogs. In tabletop you can argue the point if you feel like the DM is interpreting your actions incorrectly, and unless you're being an absolute shit about it (I killed that shopkeeper to steal the sword so I could more likely fulfill my quest to slay the great evil! It was a good action!) DMs are usually pretty forgiving about alignment stuff since it's a really loosey goosey part of D&D anyway.
It also doesn't matter all THAT much in Kingmaker unless you're playing a paladin or something anyway. At least so far as I've seen.

Sometimes you just have to pick that Neutral Good option in order to fool your subjects into thinking that you're not a complete tyrant.
Exactly! Though that's the weak point of a CRPG. You end up gaming the system more because on tabletop you could tell your DM how you're still a lawful evil tyrant but you're a fucking wizard with high INT and WIS and you don't really feel like completely poking the beehive of peasants and getting them riled up into a rebellion instead of being content to do what you say, whereas in Kingmaker that means sometimes taking non-lawful evil options for kingdom management since the evil ones are sometimes too dumb to go for, which then means you need to make up your evil points by strangling a few puppies in your royal orgy pit. And without those peasants doing your bidding your orgy pit would be low on people AND puppies.

Funposter

Arcane
Sometimes you just have to pick that Neutral Good option in order to fool your subjects into thinking that you're not a complete tyrant.
Exactly! Though that's the weak point of a CRPG. You end up gaming the system more because on tabletop you could tell your DM how you're still a lawful evil tyrant but you're a fucking wizard with high INT and WIS and you don't really feel like completely poking the beehive of peasants and getting them riled up into a rebellion instead of being content to do what you say, whereas in Kingmaker that means sometimes taking non-lawful evil options for kingdom management since the evil ones are sometimes too dumb to go for, which then means you need to make up your evil points by strangling a few puppies in your royal orgy pit. And without those peasants doing your bidding your orgy pit would be low on people AND puppies.

This also applies to simple dialogue interactions at times. The incident at Overgrown Pool with the fey and the bewitched loggers comes to mind. Saving the loggers requires you to pick a Chaotic Good dialogue option, even though this is the option which leads to the greatest material gain. Anything other than this results in the bewitched loggers dying, and you receiving less gold from their boss for solving the situation, since he needs to put some gold away to pay for their funeral expenses. So even if my character is driven entirely by greed, they need to do a GOOD thing in order to achieve this. Weird.

Cael

Arcane
I was hoping that there was some Undead romance element, but alas there wasn't.

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines thread is two blocks down.
Wrong game. The closest you get to a romance in that game, IIRC, is with your ghoul, and she is the stalker type because, you know, ghoul.

The game you want is Redemption.

Funposter

Arcane

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines thread is two blocks down.
Wrong game. The closest you get to a romance in that game, IIRC, is with your ghoul, and she is the stalker type because, you know, ghoul.

Protagonist can also seduce Jeanette, and if they're female, perform "favors" for Romero in the Hollywood graveyard. There's also that thing about VV sending you all of her dreadful poetry.

Cael

Arcane

Protagonist can also seduce Jeanette, and if they're female, perform "favors" for Romero in the Hollywood graveyard. There's also that thing about VV sending you all of her dreadful poetry.
None of those are really romance :D I mean, seriously, Jeanette? Her idea of "romance" would be a middle finger stuck up your bum :D

Cael

Arcane
Jaethal is probably one of the least offensive women characters in CRPG land when it comes to coming on like a fuckface. If we compare them on basis of being neutral evil companions, I'd take Jaethal any day over Viconia. I don't have time for the latter's crazy cunt mood swings and she also sucked in bed. Living in a sexually charged society for centuries and can't even fully heal my guy on an 8 hour rest. Fucking useless.
That is because you didn't get the 8 hours rest...

Incendax

Augur
The incident at Overgrown Pool with the fey and the bewitched loggers comes to mind. Saving the loggers requires you to pick a Chaotic Good dialogue option, even though this is the option which leads to the greatest material gain. Anything other than this results in the bewitched loggers dying, and you receiving less gold from their boss for solving the situation, since he needs to put some gold away to pay for their funeral expenses. So even if my character is driven entirely by greed, they need to do a GOOD thing in order to achieve this. Weird.
  • Lawful Neutral also has an option to save the loggers.
  • Pathfinder has objective morality. Rationalizations don’t matter.
  • So yeah, you often have to do things counter to your alignment to stay true to your characterization.
  • But when in doubt, Atone! Throw some gold at your god and pray your problems away.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Jaethal is probably one of the least offensive women characters in CRPG land when it comes to coming on like a fuckface. If we compare them on basis of being neutral evil companions, I'd take Jaethal any day over Viconia. I don't have time for the latter's crazy cunt mood swings and she also sucked in bed. Living in a sexually charged society for centuries and can't even fully heal my guy on an 8 hour rest. Fucking useless.

Hohohoho

Naughty, naughty Cael.

Cael

Arcane

Hohohoho

Naughty, naughty Cael.
giphy.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nice, my paladin went to talk to Bartholomew after troll thing was done. It is when you can ask him to become your advisor. But I didn't and I had Octavia with me. So she gets on his nerves and he attacks the party. And that meant free loot and no loss of alignment :D
And he has a nice +4 Int headband and +3 to dodge dagger.
Even good guys can get some nice things in this game :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
Took me 5th playthrough to figure out that the guy that sends you on the quest to Candlemere
Wisp island
is same guy that starts the whole Varnhold mess by
stealing that thingy from the cyclops lich
I find it cool how you meet people early in the game and they have a bigger role later
like the gnome from Inconsequential Debates companion quest
Not that many games bother with that.

Incendax

Augur
There are quite a few instances of these throughout the game. Really adds to the immersion.
One small thing that really made me smile was getting a copy of Jubilost’s magazine. Most games might have Jubilost mention writing a review about your kingdom. But to actually be given the readable article later? It was neat.

guys i think i screwed up my latest save.

so the kid goes missing in troll trouble.

I am supposed to investigate the swamp witch; but I already killed her earlier and a tribe of thickskin lizards too while murderhoboing earlier for xp.

can I continue the quest? can it be fixed anyway? i am open to using cheat menu/save editing etc.

Cael

Arcane

I am supposed to investigate the swamp witch; but I already killed her earlier and a tribe of thickskin lizards too while murderhoboing earlier for xp.

can I continue the quest? can it be fixed anyway? i am open to using cheat menu/save editing etc.
Speak with Dead?
Raise Dead?
Go to www.youaresofucked.com?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

try visiting the actual location of the kid, will have to spoil it for you

the lizard village south of the lake of candlemere

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom