Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Drowed

Arcane
[VIDEO]

Looks like a MMO.

Yeah, looks like an empty MMO, which is even worse. And an MMO that is trying to emulate the combat and interface of Dark Souls. The concept and the description of the game sounds interesting, but it seems that in practice it didn't work out so well. It looks pretty boring.

Deleted Member 16721

If you guys think this will be empty you're going to be mistaken. This game is like a 3D Kenshi. You'll stumble on all sorts of things I'm sure, enemies, patrols, ruins, etc.. And the world will be vast so survival will be important and immersive. Trust me, after 90 hours with Kenshi, this game looks like it will be taking things from Kenshi for the good of it, and this is going to be a fantastic title I feel. As long as the difficulty options allow hard difficulties so it doesn't become a pushover.

Deleted Member 16721

This looks incredible. This is not a game to sleep on. This is shaping up to be a 3rd person action CRPG Kenshi-like, in that you have to survive a harsh world, eat and worry about the environmental hazards as well as the enemy hazards. I'm sure they took some inspiration from Kenshi while that was in development because even backpacks work similarly. So this is a good thing. Day one purchase for me.

Deleted Member 16721

I just hope the world of Outward is truly vast, like really huge. Not the size of Skyrim's map but more like Kenshi's. We'll see. It would be great to see this survival type CRPG set in an enormous open-world rather than a smaller one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm sure they took some inspiration from Kenshi while that was in development because even backpacks work similarly.

Apparently not, from October last year: https://steamcommunity.com/app/794260/discussions/0/1733216893881567486/

Hey there! Today is the first time I hear about Kenshi, but it sounds like it has interesting features and I admit that there seems to be similar conceptual roots as Outward. I should try it once it leaves Early Access. I am honestly glad to find another game that goes against the trend of saying you're some sort of special superhero. Kingdom Come was recently released and also has a more humble approach, I really like that and I hope to see more :)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
You can't jump (let alone climb) in a game about exploration. I've lost the majority of my optimism for this. Why play this, when BOTW exists?

Deleted Member 16721

Interesting. It's definitely good then to see like-minded devs taking this approach. I want to see more Kenshi-likes like this one in the future. I love the idea of survival in vast, harsh land, as long as the land is interesting enough and vast enough to sustain it. As well as challenging, which is important. Outward seems like it is going to be a great step in the right direction for this type of game and Kenshi-likes in general.

Although don't get me wrong, I want to see more squad-based and isometric Kenshi-likes, too. This game seems like it will just take a more action-oriented approach to things, which will add variety to the genre.

Doma

Augur

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
This looks incredible. This is not a game to sleep on. This is shaping up to be a 3rd person action CRPG Kenshi-like, in that you have to survive a harsh world, eat and worry about the environmental hazards as well as the enemy hazards. I'm sure they took some inspiration from Kenshi while that was in development because even backpacks work similarly. So this is a good thing. Day one purchase for me.
Bro, not hating but every single post you make in any thread there is Kenshi you mention. We get it you like the game.

Viata

Arcane
Bro, not hating but every single post you make in any thread there is Kenshi you mention. We get it you like the game.
What is more funny is that ALL posts he made in this thread, he mentioned Kenshi.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Really cool concept, but the combat and factions look shallower than Regina George.
- Combat will underly the whole experience. This will suck if the combat isn't good a variation on Dark Souls, which it clearly aspires to be. Unfortunately, the combat AI is functionally retarded, and animations are choppy, clunky garbage.
- Factions, side stories, NPC's, worldbuilding, etc. are the only way to give the game legs beyond "survive another day and get a better weapon." Doesn't look like the devs have put much emphasis on this at all though.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is open world cheap ass 3D with animu looking PCs and monsters, generic setting ''Kingdom of Levant'' :hahano: and is done by totally unknown developers.

serveimage

Also Fluent :bounce: over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom