Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
went with swapping pistol and dagger. I think im officially out of newbie phase, after surviving trip to manticore lair. Had to sneak past boss in front of the cave, all my traps could only bring it to 25% hp, while were more than enough to deal with 2 regular manticores inside.

y4mTR2UYMf8fZX-6i7zzX-pJHs0jEal-_xQqKRUwZCJakF8xSALsUqM5pSDxK6CCbeDOtYJ4JhCAa-3RAB6PkSIX6ftBO9R67aCyTLx3_qksqm3_VypP0PSTJe9wv5oxq_Zoh5cthBzsh1btBXLSxYI3XQU0XJoRRNVsVYnNjLJ3JqBtTEtyoUW2cMSfDOtVlNN

Could finally drop windigo that ambushed me on number of occasions

Zanzoken

Arcane
Ahhh, Outward. I really need to go back and finish this one eventually. It's a cool game and I hope they are working on a sequel.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Ahhh, Outward. I really need to go back and finish this one eventually. It's a cool game and I hope they are working on a sequel.
better gothic successor than elex.
Anyway I doubt I will cross the finish line. Its quite annoying and Im cheating a bit to play as much as I already did. For example I aint walking across continent to some vendor, or returning from dungeon because I forgot some gizmo.

limited save system
if you turn on debugging you gain access to list of saves, they are made on every loading screen

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
After cleaning 1st region I realized something. There is no progression for me until I finish the game.
I have no dlcs, I already own best dagger - manticore. Best light armors - amonite&scaled. Best axe - horror.
Pistol I do not intend to change, since its important for me to apply confusion & pain in single shot.

Kind of kills the joy of the game since there is no xp and progression is gated behind equipment. Judging by my current progress would need 30-40h to clear rest of the game

Yeah it's more fun if you enjoy making lots of weird builds. SheenShots on youtube got a lot of builds. I have around five different build plans that I want to try out. And there is some endcontent with hardbosses and the two DLCs, especailly the second one is a grind area.

Other reasons to enjoy the game is the early game, it's quite hard and fun to scrap around and trying to earn small amounts of silver in anyway possible. Then the fun turns into triyng to develop your build. Coop is also excellent with the game, especially local couch split coop. But it's not exactly a game you replay for the story or C&C... But atleast the animals that you get crafting materials from fight back unlike Red Dead Redemption 2.

Perkel

Arcane
playing this atm with my friend in co-op.

Easily one of best ARPGs we played. It is so closely replicating that PnP feel that often times we joke about sleeping in cave making fish (old joke from PnP days)

It is also on promo 75% off on everything. For like 10$ you can get everything.

Perkel

Arcane
I was always fan of flat progression and this game pretty much nails it completely. Despite me spending 30 hours the difference between my build from start and now is mostly knowledge + specialized gear on certain situations + a little bit better armor. If I would play bad like on start I would be dead just as well.

Another thing about it is that it perfectly replicates Gothic exploration. Sure world is a lot bigger and sparser but lack of proper map, using land markers to navigate etc. is really nice. I wish they would completely remove map but I guess "slow steps" approach here won.

Combat wise it is mixed back. There few moves and weapons that have really nice animations and other clunky ones. It is rough but combat is pretty fair.

Magic. This is the thing I always wanted from my RPG. Magic being completely different than shooting color bullets. Want to cast firestorm ? Need a lantern. Want to shoot ice projectile ? First you need to cast ice boon then transfer it into sword then you can start shooting with it.

Either way got to second town afer exploring heavily first map.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I was always fan of flat progression and this game pretty much nails it completely. Despite me spending 30 hours the difference between my build from start and now is mostly knowledge + specialized gear on certain situations + a little bit better armor. If I would play bad like on start I would be dead just as well.
Either way got to second town afer exploring heavily first map.
your progression will stop soon/now

deuxhero

Arcane
On Fanatical as part of a make your own bundle deal for lowest price its been even with some other stuff that's also lower than normal. Got it.

Cleared the debt on the first day. It was easy enough thanks to all the crap laying around town nobody cares if you take, and the fact that you're fully healed after the shipwreck scene (I noticed there's a decent amount of stuff to find if you ignore the prompt to sleep and keep going). Feels really uneven. UI is trash as you need to dig through menus to see basic stats like how hungry/thirsty you are or what time it is, and things are hold to use for no reason (the stuff with two options). Tutorial unfortunately never gave much chance to play with resisting opponents so it's a bit annoying have to learn under fire in a game without save/reload. If my current impressions hold, I think I'll get my $7.50's worth but won't be a huge fan.

Also water+egg is, for some reason, a failed cooking recipe but egg alone produces a portable cooked egg whose icon looks like it was boiled. WTF???
Edit:
Also tone is really inconsistent. You're told half the village hates you because of blood price, but nobody cares outside of that one cutscene.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what about that guy in the starter town with the leather hat and overcoat carrying a shovel and trudging up and down the hill in the mud? I get the vibe that he's burying bodies but EVERY DAY? I feel like this mystery is key to understanding all the larger events of the game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love the "fail forward" mechanics of the game. When you are defeated (in non-"hardcore mode") the game invents some cockamamie story to explain how you survived. Often you are rescued by a mysterious benefactor, but last night my buddy and I got knocked out in a dungeon and woke up near where bandits had dragged our bodies and stolen our stuff. They said we could have our gear back if we brought them $300. They'd wait around a week and if we didn't pay up by then they were taking it forever. So even getting your ass beat has fun and interesting consequences, not just "sigh reload a save loser".

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok not feeling this new project look at all. I can tolerate or even like stlylized look, but i just associate that kind of art direction to dota or moba / hero shooter stuff.

If it's outward 2 then it's def a downgrade because i think the srt direction is one of the things outward did very well. If it's not outward i hope it's an rpg and not some shitty hero multiplayer something

Spike

Educated
Yeah it doesn't look like Outward, maybe the publisher forced them to make a mobile game or something?
I trust 9 Dots as cucky/gay as that might sound. He specifically said they only make games for themselves, i.e., gamers with sophisticated tastes (i.e. codex) who know what they want.

1 is a great game. I am cautiously optimistic, maybe it's high-level or obscure gear or something.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hope is still not lost!

It seems they are working on 2 projects, and this is the thumbnail for today's live stream later

1000062302.jpg

That definitely looks outward instead of moba art from earlier

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom