Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing the DE version now, really great, the early game is really fun in this game. You really need to use all the gadgets to win flights, rags, traps and bows. This is because the bandits will often trade with you on hits and with no armour you lose against two. Trogs are easier to sidestep sense they don't block. So I love that they have upped the difficulty so you get a slower power progression.

One Bugg I found was that they broke AutoHDR which is a shame, the sun, torches, lanterns and magic with the bloom really glowed on 1500nits. Hope they fix it.
I love the early game where you have like 20 meters of spike trap to kill the boss bandit in the camp near cierzo

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam says I have the definitive edition in my library, but I clearly do not.

Do you own both DLC? If so, you should have been upgraded to the DE automatically.

Only having The Three Brothers DLC grants you Definitive Edition. (So basically they give you the other DLC for free.)

They say this upgrade still works, so The Three Brothers DLC is practically the upgrade DLC. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/794260/view/3210514959201492088

How to claim your free copy of Outward: Definitive Edition
If you own both the Outward base game and the The Three Brothers DLC digitally, you are entitled to a free copy of the Definitive Edition.
Here on Steam, as well as on Epic and GOG, it should simply appear in your library.

If you play Outward on console, or something is unclear to you, please refer to the instructions on our support page. You can also create a ticket there if something isn't working as intended.

For those who own the base game, but not the The Three Brothers DLC, no worries! The Three Brothers will remain available for purchase on all platforms, making it possible for you to upgrade at any time.
(This is the easiest way for you to get the Definitive Edition!)

Not sure why they're still selling the other DLC separately though.

SumDrunkGuy

i lost interest when I 1) couldnt jump/climb 2) couldn't swim 3) couldn't even fall / drop of a cliff.
in a linear game those things are expected, in a modern open world game, lol, no.. these mechanics all add to atmosphere, immersion, feeling like you're an explorer and not like someone bound to a wheelchair.

Even a person in a wheelchair can fall off a cliff.

mkultra

Augur
i lost interest when I 1) couldnt jump/climb 2) couldn't swim 3) couldn't even fall / drop of a cliff.
in a linear game those things are expected, in a modern open world game, lol, no.. these mechanics all add to atmosphere, immersion, feeling like you're an explorer and not like someone bound to a wheelchair.

Even a person in a wheelchair can fall off a cliff.

True, it would've been a more fun game if you actually were in a wheelchair and with realistic physics ;)

someone said you can fall, not my experience when i tested the game like 1.5 years ago, all that happened when i walked to the side of a cliff was an invisible wall, in fact i ran into several in the 30 mins i tried it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I will agree with people that the lack of fast travel was needlessly harsh in the name of survival realism. They could have easily included a fast travel option such as teleportation, but made its usage risky, limited, dangerous, etc.
  • Make it rare by granting a mark/recall system ala Morrowind, essentially letting you only fast travel to one location.
  • Give it a long cool down, or make it so you need a rare potion, gem, etc.
  • Tie it to specific places.
  • Make it unreliable, so that fast travel has a chance of sending you somewhere you don't want to go.
  • A serious and long term debuff after fast traveling.
  • Making fast travel available only at certain times of the day
  • A magic/runic fast travel system that is hard to achieve
  • Expensive fast travel by boat or carriage
There's a lot of ways to do it, just gotta be a little creative. All they really need to avoid is making it too easy and/or too cheap.

Alter Sack

Magister
Is the game fully developed now?

Because some of the latest reviews on steam still complain about bugs, broken skills etc.

Or did the definitive edition introduce some new bugs/problems?

notpl

Arbiter
Is the game fully developed now?

Because some of the latest reviews on steam still complain about bugs, broken skills etc.

Or did the definitive edition introduce some new bugs/problems?
Nah, still an empty MMO map with a few fetch quests that would be over in ~45 minutes start to finish if not for the fact that they forgot to program fast travel.

Ironically there is a bug in the DE edition related to their changing of spawns which sometimes makes the entire map almost empty when you exit towns sometimes.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Ironically there is a bug in the DE edition related to their changing of spawns which sometimes makes the entire map almost empty when you exit towns sometimes.

Nice to know, I've had this happen a couple of times but thought nothing of it. Another thing I've been noticing is the AI breaks occasionally. I've had enemies suddenly turn their backs and ignore my presence for short lengths of time, enough to kill them unchallenged sometimes. I hope a fix is coming soon.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
aaah that's why the map is so empty. aside from like 2 hyenas and 1 chicken, chernoneese was completely empty. the same with enmekar. some enemies spots i remember doesn't spawn at all, i thought they stupidly remove enemy density from the game and made the whole map empty

They released a patch for PC. Seems that spawns might have been fixed.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/794260/discussions/0/3414304680774525737/

"- Fixed an issue where enemy would spawn a few km in the air in the open areas."
lol. Also means they aint even dropping down I believe sense they only activate when you get close enough. You can often see enemies T-posing like 5 meters up in the air at longer distances, adn they drop down when you get close.

notpl

Arbiter
They released a patch for PC. Seems that spawns might have been fixed.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/794260/discussions/0/3414304680774525737/

"- Fixed an issue where enemy would spawn a few km in the air in the open areas."
lol. Also means they aint even dropping down I believe sense they only activate when you get close enough. You can often see enemies T-posing like 5 meters up in the air at longer distances, adn they drop down when you get close.
My attitude toward this game has always been "sort of interesting, I hope it does well enough that the developer gets a second chance to make a decent game as a sequel." This definitive edition doesn't seem to have changed that assessment, although I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that it picked up an audience with the normie coop/streamer crowd and thus my wish about the sequel may eventually come true.

I got a copy of the game about 2 years back and I still haven't even started it up.

I'm not necessarily afraid super challenging Action RPGs, and KC:D was one of my favorite games over the past couple of years- but something about it has just kept me away from it and I have absolutely no idea why.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
picked this game.

Mage killed me in bandit camp. Spawned in said camp as prisoner? Managed to kill mage without equipment.

So... where is my stuff?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Black chest in bandito camp
is it on very top, behind some locked gate and dude in armor that almost nullifies my attacks?
I think it was in a tent very close to where u wake up.
Ahh found it. It was nowhere near my spawn location but tent hint helped, it made me recall empty chests that I found earlier.

Bandit lord is dead, couldnt survive my traps.
I seem to like lurking and trapping. Is dagger any decent? I saw it must be wielded in offhand... Was curious if I can pair it with pistol but that one appears to be offhand too?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
anyone with modding experience? Tried to install https://outward.thunderstore.io/package/stormcancer/Knives_Master/ and see if I can get dagger + pistol. Or dagger + shield. Not sure if backstab would work with mainhand dagger

Anyway with manual installation SideLoader step bricks my game, while with thunderstore crapware nothing seems to happen.
Im on standard edition btw

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom