Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your favorite videogame genres?

Tiospo

Learned
RPGs. what's the question?

Larry Soot

Literate
I love blobbers (Wizardry, Elminage Gothic for that Japanese flavor, currently Grimoire) as well as all sorts of turn-based cRPGs. I'm also a fan of old-school FPS games like Doom, Quake, Blood etc. mostly for the fact that they very elegantly and holistically combine level design, monster design, and weapon design into one great whole.

HansDampf

Arcane
FPS, RPG, 2D Platformers, Puzzle, Tactics

I'm usually gameplay and challenge focused, but then there is also VtMB... There seems to be an exception for everything. For example, I don't like racing games except F-Zero GX. And I can't stand Walking Sims except What Remains of Edith Finch.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
RPG aside?

I don't have a straightforward answer... It depends by the game itself. For example In the past I played STALKER, classic Thief, System Shock 1&2, Silent Hill 1-4, Quest for Glory 1-4, Dungeon Master, a lot, but what are they? RPG? FPS? Adventures?

If I have to generalize I tend to like survival horrors or games with a strong sense of mistery and danger, but they are almost extints nowadays, regardless of the specific genre tag (fps, 2d platforming, adventure, blobber, etc...)

Morkar Left

1. RPG's
2. Strategy Games (mostly civ-likes)
3. Space Sims, Privateer/Elite-likes preferred
4. all other genres; once in a while I get the urge to play other games. Could e everything from adventures to flight sims to beat'em ups or sidescrollers. This is basically a left-over from my Amiga days when I played basically every genre. I even bought sidescrollers as full-version boxed games (when the price dropped).

I guess it's RPGs and strategy games mostly because it allows slow progress and continuous advancement with not much - if at all - focus on action and my past with pen&paper rpgs and the fantasy/scifi genre.

And I like mixing genres with rpg-elements. It's just hard to accomplish it in a good way and I appreciate the pureness of a game sticking to one genre to show off what makes this genre so compelling.

Real world settings are usually the things I'm not really interested (ofc there always exceptions which depend how good the specific game is and my personal mood atm).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
RPGs obviously, but not the 100h+ ones (with exception of Wizardy VII) and blantant level scalling (they go against the core of this genre for me and suck out most if not all fun).
Tactical games and similar, with soft spot on Apeiron's games.
Some RTS like Dawn of War (first one) and maybe Men of War and older games.
FPS games? Sure.
And while I'm not fond for crafting and garbage collecting in modern games there is STALKER Anomaly that makes me filled in that regard and stops me from grabbing modern popamole garbage (and save me wasting time on download, playing that crap and sometimes - money).
And then there are days when I want some point'n'click variety or sneak past things in The Dark Mod or Thief FMs.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
FPS, RPG, stealth, tactical shooter.
A few token racing games every now and then, but almost everything I play is of the above genres.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
RPG
Mostly ARPG's and Turn Based RPG, those are the ones I play the most (specially ARPG's).
But my requisites are: a well designed and built character development system (or whatever you wanna call it); engaging quests that support different playstyles and outcomes; fun exploration; good level design; well realized world building; all, or at least the majority, of the different mechanics should be consistent quality-wise (ex.: combat shouldn't be good and the remaining systems unpolished); and lastly if it's going to have C&C, than have the choices being meaningful and consequences impactful enough so that the player gains, or loses, access to content and reconsiders his playstyle.

After that, games with a prominent Action component are the ones I enjoy the most.

Hack & Slash/Beat-em-Ups
However not just any hack & slash games.
I am talking about those with well designed enemies, deep combat mechanics that truly reward player skill and where hitting the enemies feels right.
Such as Dark Messiah, Nioh, Severance, Devil May Cry, God Hand, etc...

Shooter
The kind doesn't matter. Can be something as fast paced as DOOM or as slow as RE4. A FPS or a TPS or even Top-dow (like Hotline Miami, Enter the Gungeon). And long as they are done right.

Platformers
It's a simple genre, but one that harbors so many great games - Super Mario 2/3/World/64/Sunshine, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic, Super Meat Boy, etc...

Action-Adventure
Always tough this tag as bit ambiguous both I can't find anything else to better describe games like Zelda: Majora's Mask or Tomb Raider.

Stealth
There isn't a whole lot to say. I just love the challenge and tension a good stealth game offers.

Metroidvania
Don't think it can really be called a genre, but like the action-adventure case, it's a good tag to describe these type of games.
IMO, I actually consider games like the old RE games and dungeon crawlers to be Metroidvanias.
You explore a big well designed level, or several interconnect levels; you carefully manage your resources; you solve puzzles or complete task to either gain acess to a new level, or a item or some kind of update (these last 2 can give you acess to a unexplored location); there is some optinonal areas/challenges/upgrades to discover; combat is done mostly to drain your resources, change the pacing of the experience and overall increase tension; and finally these games rarely lend a hand or try to guide you.

While it's not genre but a design choice, I am very fond of GOOD open-world games.

Genres that I don't like, but also don't dislike:

Card - Most of the times they have a very close relationship to Lady Luck. Someone that was never very fond of me.

Strategy -
Never got into them. So I don't have any real experience in this genre.

Adventure -
Don't have a particular reason. But just solving puzzles and reading text isn't enough to truly hook me in. For example I like Portal 2, the game has some some good puzzles and fun story + plus a puzzle editor with loads of excellent user made puzzles but it just manages to grab me for 2-3 days before I move on.

Figthing - Might seem weird considering I really like action games, but the reason is I have very little experience with genre. Melee is the only fighting game I truly understand and love.

Racing -
Same reasoning with fighting games. I have very little experience with them, but I do love me some F-Zero GX.

I dislike:

Sports - I may enjoy playing ball with my mates, but sports games are fucking dull to me;

Simulations -
I can see their appeal to people that have an interest in race cars, planes, trucks, forklifts... and even realize that they can be useful "training" software. But for me simulators are just dull, even more appealing ones like ARMA.
Walking Sims - They are not games.

Storyfag shit -
Just because they are novels that you can interact, it doesn't make them games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom