Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Payd Shell

Arcane
The game assumes you are purchasing slaves to free them.

The game also assumes Holy Nation are the bad guys. Muh raycis and miss treatment of wymmyn, oh my!
Not really, though. If you dive into the world's lore you realize the Holy Nation is mostly right. The Shek are bloodthirsty retards only held back by their new leader, the United Cities are thugs in suits and the Skeletons, well. If you have a skeleton in your party NPC skeletons have rather different dialogue if you use your skeleton to talk to them.

Zanzoken

Arcane
mondblut MadMaxHellfire I am not an expert on mods but the Recruit Prisoners mod works decently well if you just want to amass a bunch of pawns to use as slaves.

Build a bunch of prisoner cages at your base.
Find a gang of hungry bandits / starving vagrants / etc and beat them up.
Pick up as many as you want and heal them.
Return to base and throw them in your cages.
Save game, then load (seems it often takes a reload to make the dialogue option appear).
Put a bunch of food in your inventory and initiate dialogue. Sometimes they will ask for a certain type of food, but if you don't have it just come back later. Eventually they will accept anything.

I don't know if there is a mechanic to treat them as actual slaves, if that's what you're after. With this method they will join like any other party member.

mondblut

Arcane
mondblut MadMaxHellfire I am not an expert on mods but the Recruit Prisoners mod works decently well if you just want to amass a bunch of pawns to use as slaves.

Yeah, I know of that one. That way I won't stop until I fill out my 256 slots with useless retards, which would happen rather soonish. I'd rather keep my uncontrolable recruiting spree in check the way the game itself does it :lol: Same reason I am mortified at the thought of importing the game.

(35 people now, and I never ventured outside shekistan plus a recruiting mission into the holy land)

mondblut

Arcane
I guess what I am trying to ask is whether kidnapping slaves sneakily even works as a technique of rescuing. I mean sneak in, open the cell, pick up the slave, get out, carry far away, drop, unlock shackles. Every single time they respond with either "getting into my cell" right away, or start with "retreating fast" towards the mine, then switch to "getting into my cell" once close enough. Does the game even acknowledge I got them out? After all, if I release them from their cells, most of them do try to break out - but outside, they act in the opposite way.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Most everything to do with slavery is the worst part of the game, which is annoying as hell, since what first caught my imagination was playing a ex-Holy Nation slave who then patches things up with them and becomes a slaver in his own right. I had Tipu Tip in mind when I first got the game and how so often in something like slavery, a lot of those in the business are the people you'd think would be completely opposed to it. Something the games developers didn't realize themselves.

i need the most brutal combo of mods you can come up with, i want the game to be difficult again. especially, i need a mod which severely cuts the amount of resources the trade caravans have, because right now all i have to do to win the game is mine enough ores (which i set to cost only 10 kitties) to buy some food and then wait until a caravan animal gets slaughtered, grab its stuff and be rich forever and ever.

PrettyDeadman

i need the most brutal combo of mods you can come up with, i want the game to be difficult again. especially, i need a mod which severely cuts the amount of resources the trade caravans have, because right now all i have to do to win the game is mine enough ores (which i set to cost only 10 kitties) to buy some food and then wait until a caravan animal gets slaughtered, grab its stuff and be rich forever and ever.
you probably just need a mod which increases max amount of simultaniously engaged enemies to like 5 (from 1). with that hordes will do 5x damage.

Payd Shell

Arcane
There isn't, really. Once you've seen through the formula, there is no going back. Sure, you can alter the prices, but that just postpones your financial powerspike a bit. Haven't you noticed that Kenshi isn't actually difficult, just very time consuming? Combat is 'your numbers vs. my numbers' for the most part, only crossbows mix it up by being pretty broken with how movement and combat works. The only thing you can do is limit yourself, which is a shitty way to play any game. While I had fun with Kenshi for a good 100 hours or so, that's the thing that keeps me from going back. Even if you don't steal shit or you don't build a base to generate infinite money, the only gold sink in the game is food. And food is easy to come by, even if you'd increase the prices to a ridiculous amount.

Solfear

Novice
What about increasing lethality to x2 or x3 and the max amount of engaging ennemies?

Payd Shell

Arcane
What about increasing lethality to x2 or x3 and the max amount of engaging ennemies?
Lethality just affects the speed with which damaged limbs deteriorate / blood loss occurs, which in turn is offset by the toughness stat. You'd just make it slower to get through early game while late game remains largely unaffected. If you increase the attack slots, that mixes up how you play the game, because the amount of people you have in your army has an even greater effect. Which would make fights harder when you're outnumbered and fights where you outnumber the enemy considerably easier, think of the Bugmaster or Cat-Lon. Also, I think animal type enemies would be even more of a hassle than they are in vanilla, enjoy those Beak Thing AoE attacks when 5 of them can attack one dude at once. The AI can't deal with AoE attacks, and since every attack causes a bit of AoE because the hitboxes are tied to the animations themselves I don't think this would make for a particularly good experience. If the game had something like poise or stagger resistance this might work, but since basically every attack that deals more than 1 or 2 points of damage staggers you, well.

Tiger

Learned
There isn't, really. Once you've seen through the formula, there is no going back. Sure, you can alter the prices, but that just postpones your financial powerspike a bit. Haven't you noticed that Kenshi isn't actually difficult, just very time consuming? Combat is 'your numbers vs. my numbers' for the most part, only crossbows mix it up by being pretty broken with how movement and combat works. The only thing you can do is limit yourself, which is a shitty way to play any game. While I had fun with Kenshi for a good 100 hours or so, that's the thing that keeps me from going back. Even if you don't steal shit or you don't build a base to generate infinite money, the only gold sink in the game is food. And food is easy to come by, even if you'd increase the prices to a ridiculous amount.

Yeah I was well into Kenshi when I first got it, couldn't get enough of it. The interest in it pretty much just fell off a cliff and never felt the urge to go back.

all stuff which can be tweaked, not really a broken, hardcoded mechanic.
i wish for a project nevada-style overhaul, with thirst, fatigue, stamina, remodeled weapon boni to better interact with each other... i have a dream!

mondblut

Arcane
I seem to have figured it out. Kidnapping a shackled slave doesn't work. First you have to unshackle him, then you grab him and stroll out (nobody bats an eyelid) to release somewhere outside. Ignore those who don't want to flee or try escaping on their own, only carry those who are grateful and keep standing near you once released from their cell - these are like to join.

...dat feel when your party of two strolled into holy mine to look for slaves willing to join you, only to have to help defend the compound against a horde of 100+ hungry bandits.

Last edited:

Payd Shell

Arcane
all stuff which can be tweaked, not really a broken, hardcoded mechanic.
i wish for a project nevada-style overhaul, with thirst, fatigue, stamina, remodeled weapon boni to better interact with each other... i have a dream!
On the other hand, I don't know how much is possible with the tools the devs have provided. For example, people have tried for a long time to get a 'finish off downed enemies' type mod working, but all they've come up with so far are crappy workarounds that add items to every NPC that cause death when removed, like with the Fog Princes and their heads or with animals. Needless to say that this is suboptimal because it causes slavers to kill anyone they try to enslave since they take away everything in your inventory. It seems you can only modify what's already in the game or repurpose some mechanics but adding entirely new things, like biome effects that are independent from weather effects or thirst seem to be impossible for now. Maybe some code wizard cracks the game's code and provides the community with some sort of script extender but I wouldn't hold my breath.

"I found the treasure of Killing a Leviathan and all I got was this stupid pearl". and it doesn't even say "100% cotton".

seriously, a creature as big as a town and it doesn't even drop any meat? retarded tower of goat even has its own special item but iconic leviathans are empty shells?

user

Savant

Ah yes please!

These also something else missing for me... I can't quite point what... not a goal, but something that will give more impact to enemies getting in your base and will give you some kind of ultimatum and a more important reason to make a base other than crafting etc. Don't know if that makes any sense.

The art in this game is so fucking bland and dreary.
Everything has that same shitty pre-baked clay color.
Its just so obscene and really takes some enjoyment out of a fairly robust game-play loop.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You guys are crazy; you want the world illuminated by a 2700 Kelvin light rather than a 6000 K light? Maybe if it were the reading room in your house or the light on a nightstand, but that reshade filter looks like yellow/orange garbage in comparison to the default lighting.

I wonder how many people who use reshade mods even use the basic windows color calibration tool for their screens. Does that mod look great with 100% brightness, 50% contrast and totally fucked channel balance?

after a run with the holy nation i can finally say: who's the idiot who keeps saying they're evil? their land is SAFE, and i mean SAFE, nothing will attack you, even wildlife is neutral and extremely weak and even if you're inept enough to screw up there's plenty of patrols willing to help and feed you, there's just no danger, everything is green and lush and tranquil, resources abound everywhere, people are nice, kind and welcoming. all they ask in return is thoughts and prayers once a week and for you to know your place in society because safety and richness demand order. that's it.

united cities? skimmers. gorram skimmers everywhere. and when you dodge skimmers there's sand ninjas. and then dust bandits. and then rebel farmers. and then vagrants. and then slavers or manhunters. and when you finally find a military patrol, oh sorry it's a noble hunter who'll snipe the shit out of your face in the middle of nowhere-to-hide.

holy nation is not a "lesser evil", it's plain good.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
after a run with the holy nation i can finally say: who's the idiot who keeps saying they're evil? their land is SAFE, and i mean SAFE, nothing will attack you, even wildlife is neutral and extremely weak and even if you're inept enough to screw up there's plenty of patrols willing to help and feed you, there's just no danger, everything is green and lush and tranquil, resources abound everywhere, people are nice, kind and welcoming. all they ask in return is thoughts and prayers once a week and for you to know your place in society because safety and richness demand order. that's it.

united cities? skimmers. gorram skimmers everywhere. and when you dodge skimmers there's sand ninjas. and then dust bandits. and then rebel farmers. and then vagrants. and then slavers or manhunters. and when you finally find a military patrol, oh sorry it's a noble hunter who'll snipe the shit out of your face in the middle of nowhere-to-hide.

holy nation is not a "lesser evil", it's plain good.

They don't demand taxes or extortion either, just say your prayers and they go away. You do have to answer their patrols correctly or they will attack you for having non-humans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom