Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God Tier RPGs/Games of the past few years

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

LordofSyn

Scholar
That's dumb though. Running away from every fight is boring AF, and I don't think it's remotely 'deep.' If the simulation cared about realism then bandits would be enemies to all and unprovoked attacks would be fair game for reprisal. It's like china or belgium hating you for killing somali pirates. They're fucking pirates, end of story. Enemies should be just as worried about losing rep as you are, but they're not. Making a game where the point of every combat is to flee is fucking stupid.

It's really odd because the ship combat system is very decent. The game just punishes you whenever you interact with it in any way. So you're stuck doing the dumb random dice roll card missions and fleeing from the actual fun battles.
In no way did I ever say that you should run away all of the time.
You are right. That game is most likely not for you as reading is not your strong suit.

I can help you. It is not tough or complicated. Hating a game because it doesn't play how you want it to play is a very entitled stance.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Deleted Member 16721

Ohhh, shoot. I forgot about Enderal! Let me go ahead and update my God Tier list. :)

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ghost of a Tale
The Nameless Mod
West of Loathing
Trails of something something go play Falcom games they are the best thing to come out of Japan since the California roll
Enderal and Nehrim for the setting
Sabres of Infinity
Sorcery!
Dark Souls 3 was the best Dark Souls

I was going to write Hollow Knight but instead I'll just write the entire genre of indie platformer jumpy things that was started with Braid in 2006 and Cave Story before that and has more or less gone unbaited.

There's so fucking many of the things and they are mostly pretty good because it seems liek as long as you make good looking art it is literally impossible to fuck up those games as a game developer, Ori and the Blind Forest etc

Yakuza 0 was probably the most hilarious shit though but I can't really defend the gameplay, but the stories have me in tears. Most enjoyment I've ever had playing a video game I'll be honest
There's nothing glaringly wrong with the Yakuza 0 gameplay though. Also there are good things about Enderal and Nehrim aside from the setting. Some of the quests/dungeons are really fun.

What does Sabres of Infinity do well? I agree with the rest of your list more or less (including the golden age that Platformers are going through), so I'm curious.

It's a text only CYOA adventure that is written super well, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed it and fuck yeah CYOAs rock

Yakuza 0 gameplay I cannot really justify as an RPG let's be honest but it is neat.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's a text only CYOA adventure that is written super well, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed it and fuck yeah CYOAs rock
You're goddamn right they do. Checking it out then.
Yakuza 0 gameplay I cannot really justify as an RPG let's be honest but it is neat.
Oh, pfft, of course not. But notice this thread is somehow about both great RPGs and "other Games". Somehow. In General RPG.

purpleblob

Savant
Only few people seem to think D:OS2 is a god-tier. I'm playing it right now but not finding it particularly good - in fact, Expeditions: Viking was heaps more fun imo.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd say Grimoire is the only real God-Tier release, since Wiz 8 pretty much.
But there are plenty of really good ones out there, pretty much all already mentioned itt. But atm I'd say Pathfinder, Kenshi and KCD are the highlights of the past few years. Haven''t tried Elex or Age of Decadence yet though

Deleted Member 16721

Edit, epic status alert!!! New God Tier game discovered, Serpent in the Staglands!! That is all.

Deleted Member 16721

I have an important announcement to make. I, Fluent, on March 31st, in the Year of Our Lord 2019, have declared that Outward is now a God-Tier RPG. I shall be updating my original post post-haste.

Nioh. Yes, the enemies become repetitive later in the game, but the gameplay and boss battles make up for it. And no, the lack of an open world doesn't ruin the game.

The game features a rock-solid implementation of the core Souls mechanics, and Team Ninja added new things to the mix without mucking it up - Guardian Spirits, stances, etc. It's one of those games that just immediately felt good to play.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
I have an important announcement to make. I, Fluent, on March 31st, in the Year of Our Lord 2019, have declared that Outward is now a God-Tier RPG. I shall be updating my original post post-haste.

Is it, really? I tried it and it's fun, but a lot can be done to improve it further.

Codex Year of the Donut

Is it, really? I tried it and it's fun, but a lot can be done to improve it further.
I found it boring. It's another one of those directionless "make your own fun" games where you're just plopped into the world with a tiny bit of backstory.
World is largely empty except for enemies. World design is meh, lots of nothing everywhere.

rock-solid implementation of the core Souls mechanics
buzzwords

Well, I could list them: stamina management, the importance of dodging and positioning, the bloodstain mechanic, the bonfire mechanic, etc. That seems unnecessary.

But I get it - "Souls-like" is overused and often applied to games that have very little in common with Dark Souls. It annoys me, too. Trust me - Nioh is actually a Souls game.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, yeah, following the same logic one could say that roguelike is a buzzword. Which it is, technically, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have a meaning and that it can be used to describe something in a way that someone understands what you're talking about.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They have to be recent, right? Only ones I truly loved since the release of Wizardry Empire 2's PC edition in 2003 would be these ones:

Elminage: Gothic
Elminage: Original
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Paper Sorcerer
The Dark Spire
Dragon Quest 11
Knights Of The Chalice
Vampire: Bloodlines
Fallout: New Vegas

And the very recent Dragon Quest 11 makes the cut, it's the only RPG since 2014's Elminage: Gothic that stirred something in me. There are many RPGs that have released in the past decade that are VERY good but I'm sticking to what I consider *GOD TIER*, which is why my list is small.

EDIT: Forgot another one! Bloodlines 1.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
as far as I'm concerned there are only two god-tier RPGs: Temple of Elemental Evil and Wizardry 7.

Prelude to Darkness remade in the ToEE engine would be god-tier. also Fallout with full party creation and JA2 style combat.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh shit, your ToEE mention just reminded me that I forgot to list Knights Of The Chalice!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Underrail
Age of Decadence

Truly two god-tier RPGs.
/thread
Is age of decadence an RPG?

It's more of CYOA really.

They have to be recent, right? Only ones I truly loved since the release of Wizardry Empire 2's PC edition in 2003 would be these ones:

Elminage: Gothic
Elminage: Original
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Paper Sorcerer
The Dark Spire
Dragon Quest 11
Knights Of The Chalice

Aside from Shadowrun and Dragon Quest, those games are blobbers (in the classic Wizardry sense). A genre I would hesitate to call RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom