Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhorse Studios bought by THQ Nordic

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Cos games cost money and you can't KS 30 million.
They cost money indeed, but I struggle to remember when 30 million was poured in gamedesign and not in marketing department or CEO pocket. Maybe I wrong, tho.

Age of Conan cost more than that in 2008. Before marketing etc.

Games are expensive.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Well, this came out of nowhere. Also, KCD has now sold over 2 million copies, which is great to hear.

Although it says that Warhorse will stay independent, I'm cautiously optimistic about this acquisition...

A patch for KCD reskinning half the NPCs as black and the other half as women confirmed.
I was going to tag your post as "Funny" but then I remembered it's Sweden we are talking about here, after all.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Next: Owlcat Games?

Anyway, press release from Koch Media side has a bonus quote from Vavra's new boss, and some stats:

Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO Koch Media GmbH adds: “We are delighted to welcome the team from Warhorse Studios in the Family. The successful cooperation we developed during our journey with Kingdom Come: Deliverance linked both our companies already very closely and I am sure that our now even closer combined knowledge and experience will open up amazing new opportunities for both companies. Not only the 2 Million sold copies but also the motivation within the teams to create new ideas combined with the learnings from the past, are a rock solid foundation for future projects to build on.”

Some more numbers:

To bring perspective to what has been a journey back in time the team sat back and relaxed a bit, which is an achievement in itself given the fact that over 5.000 liters of coffee went into creating Bohemia 1403.

Looking back the devs want to share even more facts about Kingdom Come: Deliverance and the story that started as one of the most successful Kick Starter projects and grew into one of the most celebrated RPG experiences of the past year. The script alone fills over 2.200 pages of text, that’s 4.1 Million letters. The amazing journey took Henry and the team at Warhorse to over 40 public events around the world – meaning Henry travelled 4 times around the globe – not bad for the son of a 1403 blacksmith from Bohemia! 50 actors recorded more than 45.000 unique lines for the games amazing cut scenes. And while part of the team was on the road others dedicated one year of their life to create a in game monastery.
Owlcat games is already owned by the russian mob.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was going to tag your post as "Funny" but then I remembered it's Sweden we are talking about here, after all.

Well ironically the Deep Silver division that everybody hates right now because of the Metro Exodus Epic Store decision are German/Austrian. THQ Nordic, the "good guy" parent company who appeared to disavow that decision, are Swedish.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well ironically the Deep Silver division that everybody hates right now because of the Metro Exodus Epic Store decision are German/Austrian. THQ Nordic, the "good guy" parent company who appeared to disavow that decision, are Swedish.
The parent company disavowed nothing, that was the sister company which confusingly shares the same name.

Unless that's what you meant by "appeared."

Mark Richard

Arcane
Damn. I celebrated Nordic's purchase of the Expedition series because the developer had no other option. Is that Czech billionaire not willing to pitch in for a Kingdom Come sequel?

It's hard to think of a more benevolent publishing overlord than Nordic at this time, but sooner or later the natural course of every public company is for the shareholders to become the real priority, while the actual folk who buy the games end up playing the role of the neglected dog. Good news is we'll likely get a sequel to Kingdom Come with all the bells and whistles long before that happens.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Smejki What do you have to say for yourself?
eU46FSC.png

bronson

Novice
Dan was a minority owner of the studio, right? I take it he's well off after the sale and his inevitable resignation due to "creative differences" in the future won't hurt him financially.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

Disgusting. So now they will certainly put their games on the Epic Store and they will lose their creative freedom.

WTF was the point of all that work and pain on Kickstarter if then you sell everything to the usual shitty capitalist publisher who are only interested in profit above everything else?

Doktor Best

Arcane

Disgusting. So now they will certainly put their games on the Epic Store and they will lose their creative freedom.

WTF was the point of all that work and pain on Kickstarter if then you sell everything to the usual shitty capitalist publisher who are only interested in profit above everything else?

So you are 32 millions richer than before.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Isn't THQ rather hands-off? They allowed PB to make ELEX as an old-fashioned game without any DLC.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
THQ Nordic are building a reputation for safe sequels and iterations on old formulas to target established audiences. I wouldn't expect to see any drastic changes in KC2, Expeditions 3, ELEX 2, The Guild 3, Spellforce 4, Aquanox 3, Darksiders 4, Desperados 3, etc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why do we have a separate thread in the GenRPG forum for this? Either make a new Warhorse subforum of put it back into KCD. This offends me.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Further notes:
  • Nobody outside the old and new owners knew about this deal until yesterday evening. One of the major reasons of course is the fact that THQ is a publically traded company and leaking this could lresult in insider trading.
  • A third party has always had a majority stake in our company. We faced many grave challenges and at any time (like 3 occasions really) they could have just jumped on the brakes and dissolve the company altogether. This recent change means that now it will be a major company in the games industry who will be deciding our fate and not an individual who primarily dealt in energies.
  • So far nothing changes internally and it should remain as is for the forseeable future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom