Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your preferred Order of Operations (OoO) when exploring a corridor

sser

Arcane
Developer
First, I pull my dick out.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Personally, I hate opening doors right away. For some reason, I like to check as much of the "perimeter" of the dungeon as I can...

Me too.

Typically I send the rogue first. He can scout for enemies, traps and doors, etc. while in stealth mode.

If there is a significant enemy force ahead we pre-buff, use summons, and attack. I send in the tank first to attract as much aggro as possible (love to use a paladin or monk for this due to good saves and various immunities). I use the rogue to target spellcasters or archers in the back; most of the time he is already behind their back like a cocked rifle.

I also like to clear the area of enemies before looting and further inspection.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
  • Rush in.
  • Make sure my guys detonate all the traps so I don't have to deal with them later.
  • Heal/revive if it's not automatic, cause most games are popamole easy mode with no consequence and too many consumables.
  • Think about losing the 10xp for trap removal, but realize I don't give a fuck the game is too easy anyways.
  • Open all doors so all the enemies come at once, no time to waste.
  • Wonder if that'll make it challenging. Maybe a bit.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Rating my post retarded without a response my answer to your question you asked is quite impolite crispy. You're no longer my favorite moderator.
This thread is a good detector of noobs who haven't played anything released before baldur's gate. "I send someone to scout ahead", lmao, what?
Possible due to too much age of empires gaming, as sending a cavalry unit, or scout unit around the map to discover enemy positions is a default tactic to know where the enemy is for any future attacks. In an rpg, especially harder ones, it's especially idiotic as you're just losing that unit, most likely anyhow, for the advantage of knowing there is danger in that direction.

You can usually make useful predictions of what exists behind the doors and in the open space based on the layouts of previous dungeons in the game. What I would do in this specific case depends on the topology of the dungeon as a whole. It would be helpful to know, for instance, the corridor's displacement from the entrance, the corridor's orientation in space relative to the entrance, and the layout of the rooms cleared prior to entering the corridor.

It doesn't really make sense to have a fixed plan in this scenario because you would have to react immediately to new developments, though there is certainly one thing you should never do for both tactical and metagaming reasons: do not charge headlong into the open space before clearing both of the rooms/passages behind the doors. Doing so could cause you to be flanked by enemies from behind the closed doors while fighting enemies in the open space, and furthermore an event may trigger as soon as you enter the open space that prevents you from clearing the doors later.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
This thread is a good detector of noobs who haven't played anything released before baldur's gate. "I send someone to scout ahead", lmao, what?
Calling people noobs, just because they refer to games where character not glued together and can't move separately -stupid as hell. Recently I finished Betrayal at Krondor and overall enjoyed it (except maybe party splits after 3 chapter, fuck this shit), before this I finished Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and had fun (final battle was tough, though). It's not like I didn't played anything before BG (lol I can't even consider myself as fan of BG), it's just without party composition any Order of Operations(tm) streamlined and writing another attempt on a joke "lol I walk forward" is just boring.

polo

Magister
-Save
-Advance 1 tile
-Save
-Advance 2 tiles
-Reload cause a trap killed half my party
-Advance 2 tiles and defuse trap
-Save

You get the idea.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Rating my post retarded without a response my answer to your question you asked is quite impolite crispy.

I rated your post retarded because your response calls for a clarification on things that would only apply to a PnP RPG and I specifically stated just several posts before yours that this applies to computer RPGs only.

naossano

Cipher
Nearest door first.
Hopefully, the automap has fog of war, meaning that i know where i already went, in case my playthrough is discontinuous.

I'm pleasantly surprised that nobody has suggested grinding a few days before advancing.

I did that in Oblivion, before I knew the level scaling was observing me from a perch and taking notes.

"oh sweet I gained ten levels just from doing quests around town, time to explore that noob cave"

goblin skirmisher:

giphy.gif

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
SCENARIO:

Your party is exploring a dark dank dungeon and is standing in a corridor which leads ahead into the unknown. Ahead, you can see a door to your right at about 10 feet distance. Another ten feet beyond that is another corridor which branches off to your left. Near the end of the main corridor it looks like there may be a large open space.

Which do you explore first? Which last? And, most importantly, why?

Discuss!
I fill it with Cloudkill and Stinking Cloud. Possibly Acid Fog and Incendiary Cloud too.

Deleted Member 16721

Okay for real though, here's my order of operations:

Slowly I turn, step by step, through the back window I crept
Silent as a mouse on the set while everybody in the dungeon slept
I disconnect the traps and the rest
Find a water arrow, snuff out the torches and the lights
Now a nigga wild for the night
I come like the livin dead, straight from the dirt
Back to avenge his own death on this Earth
Ever hear of Jason, then you know my work
Down to the basement, the kobolds get it first
I can't help myself, my thoughts ain't my own
The voices in my head just won't leave me alone
Murda murda murda, kill kill kill
Pissing on the altar, flatten em with steel
So there's no escape from the fate that awaits
No one to witness the horror taking place
Yeah, now I'm on my way up the stairs
To the main room of my prey unaware
Heads will be hung from the altar with care
With hopes that the ogre mages soon will be here

I'm a killer

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom