Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Weird enough I'm having more fun with ESO than wow (fuck how awful is to lvl up from 1 to 90 in wow.)

X 8 characters to cover the crafting and farming. A lot of people (incl. Me) were sucked in to the WOW time vortex. Before that EQ. A guy could spend years climbing up through pug raids, pug instances in search of Teh top tier gearz!
Would have been better to join the fentanyl death race. At least the normies would understand that addiction

gruntar

Augur
Animation canceling is the reason I stopped playing. Devs are so incompetent that serious bug they're unable to fix (and they tried) is advertised as future.

Codex Year of the Donut
Animation canceling is the reason I stopped playing. Devs are so incompetent that serious bug they're unable to fix (and they tried) is advertised as future.
I don't think it's that they can't fix it but that there would be a community backlash because people who hate it likely already quit.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
I was thinking of getting ESO and I saw people saying they improved it a lot since the launch. How grindy is it? Could you still enjoy it with a tight schedule with just the base game?

ADL

Prophet
I was thinking of getting ESO and I saw people saying they improved it a lot since the launch. How grindy is it? Could you still enjoy it with a tight schedule with just the base game?

Considering they've never raised the gear or level cap and 99% of the entire game is open to players the moment they leave the 15 minute tutorial, this is your best choice if you're going to play an MMO. It's pretty awesome that end game players could've stopped playing five years ago, log in today and find themselves viable in the end game today is something that I've only seen in Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Considering they've never raised the gear or level cap and 99% of the entire game is open to players the moment they leave the 15 minute tutorial, this is your best choice if you're going to play an MMO. It's pretty awesome that end game players could've stopped playing five years ago, log in today and find themselves viable in the end game today is something that I've only seen in Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2.

Oh, wow. That's amazing! I will definitely give it a try then! Thanks!

shidder

Novice
I can't install this because it requires 88gb of free space. I'd have to uninstall PF:KM and Path of Exile. I haven't had fun in an MMO since ArcheAge so I doubt it'd be worth it.

ADL

Prophet
I can't install this because it requires 88gb of free space. I'd have to uninstall PF:KM and Path of Exile. I haven't had fun in an MMO since ArcheAge so I doubt it'd be worth it.
Thousands of fully voice acted quests add up across multiple expansions. Go get an extra SSD while there aren't shortages and the prices are low.

Codex Year of the Donut
I pick this game up for a week or two then quit for a few months. The "end game" content really kills it, might as well just go play WoW instead because it's basically the same thing. Goes from being very open-ended(there's even a loading screen that tells you to just pick a direction and wander off to see what you can find) to a themepark MMO.
Would prefer a 'veteran mode' for quests/open world tbh.

I like that (most) gear doesn't become invalid in ESO(as long as you're max level.) There's sets rewarded from overworld content that are just as good/better than the trial sets, the overworld sets just require you to invest in upgrading them via crafting.
Content that was released on day 1 is still relevant due to this, and it was a good design choice. Compare it to e.g., WoW where old dungeons(short of being remastered) are barely ever run by anyone other than people leveling up, and old raid content is essentially dead.

Everything in this game is level scaled until end game- enemies, crafting, items :gumpyhead:

Because the game has horizontal progression, not vertical. You get stronger by unlocking skills, getting champion points, collecting gear, etc.,
My main(a warden) is still missing a lot of abilities & passives because I lack the skillpoints. It's not like I haven't unlocked that many, I have 302/418. I actually locked myself out of a handful of them due to choices I made in quests.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
There are a thousand things you can criticize the hell out of ESO for but having an "end game like World of Warcraft" sure as fuck isn't one of them. World of Warcraft invalidates every bit of content outside of the latest expansion zones because of power creep. ESO does the exact opposite. They have never raised the gear level and every single quest/dungeon/raid in every single zone is relevant and designed for the "end game" because the whole game is designed to be an end game.

I'm well over a thousand hours into the game and I can revisit zones from my first hours of play five years ago and it can be just as rewarding as doing the expansion that releases next month. The only reason anyone would run Molten Core in 2019 is to laugh at the fact that it used to require 40 people to do this and now you can solo it.

Codex Year of the Donut
There are a thousand things you can criticize the hell out of ESO for but having an "end game like World of Warcraft" sure as fuck isn't one of them.
In that trials are just boring raids? Yeah, I can criticize that. They're not fun or interesting.
Raiding is like having a second job, been there done that.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don't get the "New content invalidates old content" complaint. I've played a game where that doesn't happen, it's called GW2, and you know what? That system sucks massive dick. I'm a huge GW2 apologist, but that's one of the systems that can't ever be kicked enough.

If someone is so hung up on one set of gear that they can't spend a few minutes to update, then I don't even know what to say. I mean, back at BC launch in WoW I had amazing gear in terms of looks AND stats AND I spent weeks or maybe months getting it yet I still was generally okay to trade it in for some random clown fiesta.

And now? A bro recently came back to play, we ran him through dungeons from HC to Mythic 2 in one evening, did a warfront and a warfront boss and suddenly next day his iLevel was 375 and he was basically ready to do just about anything in the endgame. Big fucking woop if your endgame tier armor from last expac got outdated, big fucking woop.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
And now? A bro recently came back to play, we ran him through dungeons from HC to Mythic 2 in one evening, did a warfront and a warfront boss and suddenly next day his iLevel was 375 and he was basically ready to do just about anything in the endgame. Big fucking woop if your endgame tier armor from last expac got outdated, big fucking woop.

My problem is more that with each expansion all of the content from previous xpacs becomes invalidated. Leveling is always piss easy boring but things like raids and dungeons get nerfed and are made piss easy too. So with each xpac the only challenging content is current tier high m+ and the current raid

It's horrible because if you want to be challenged in the game you basically need to grind through a 40 hour tutorial first

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Previous content doesn't even get invalidated in TESO because of how the level scaling works. Just gives you more options on how you can level up. Also Shimmering Isle gives you access to a new set of skills, in case any of them interest you. Anyhoo, I have access to the beta test for the new expac so I need to try that out and see how the Necro is.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Anyone expecting an actual Necromancer class is going to be sorely disappointed. This is definitely not it. They really misnamed this class as it falls in more with the Shadow/Death/Dark Knight archetype rather than the Necromancer. On the surface level it also seems to favor tanking with a 2H weapon since it has a lot of mitigation and aggressive self-healing, but unless they changed the 2h tree and added something there that can aggro enemies, that won't be a possibility in PvE.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yup, the one archetype that I'm remotely interested in and they totally fuck it up.

Who the fuck would think that, for a class called "necromancer", having just one minion up at a time is acceptable? Also, since when does a necromancer heal????? Fucking assholes.
tbh the classes are all ruined by the idea of letting every class do everything
makes them all feel like recolors of each other

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom