Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sequels that aged worse than their predecessors

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
oof, definitely, a steep decline, but it was already seen as such by everyone who'd been in anticipation for it after the original

the series was conceptually butchered by getting more and more "modern" and mundane, moving away from heroing and the guild, and having to contrive your character's "heroic" nature and powers

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fable 2? Never played it but it had good reviews on release., if I remember correctly, but nowdays nobody mentions it.

IIRC it was supposedly a better made game but also a much simpler action type game than the RPG-ish original. I never played it due to lack of PC version though... I'd probably pay $10-20 for it if they ever do a late PC port like the Halo sequels are getting.

Dawn of War 3. What a painful disappointment that was.

i said sequels that aged worse,not sequels that are worse from day one
Oh shoot. You right. I misunderstood the thread purpose.

To actually contribute... I'd probably say The Witcher 2. In hindsight, it's very limited in scope, the controls are stiff and clunky, and the game banks on shunting the consequences to big decisions off to a sequel that doesn't seem like it was ever intended to be a shorter game with hugely branching paths. Shoot, maybe it was disliked around release on the Codex, but I liked it when it came out. Not so much anymore.

GreyViper

Prophet
Deus Ex Invisible War, that's just one game I can not go back to. Another one would be Supreme Commander 2.

Any game that is a sequel to (a) timeless classic(s), but is not itself a timeless classic. AoE3 vs AoE2, Thief DS vs Dark Engine Thief games, Diablo 3 vs Diablo 2, Dawn of War 2 and 3 vs Dawn of War, etc.

Falksi

Arcane
Mass Effect 2.

Strip away all the more RPG based elements which the first had, and you're left with a lot of combat & little else. Which is a kicker because the combat in the game is pretty fucking wank.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Deus Ex Invisible War aged very well.
When the drama dust settled and patches made the game playable, it went from awful to simply bad.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Monkey Island 2 to 1. Looks better, but the ending is still a big mess and Guybrush was too much of an asshole for me to enjoy this game.

Quest for Glory II compared to I. Way more linear and the story only started in the last tenth of the game. You could have cut out shapeir completely and let the game take place only in Raseir and it would've strenghtened the story and the gameplay more. Shapeir has lots of characters, but not conflict, Raseir has the conflict but almost no characters and interaction through gameplay.

Last edited:

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Portal 2 didn't age well compared to Portal 1
Why? Neither of their solo campaigns has much replay value. But Portal 2 has an easy-to-use puzzle editor, more puzzle mechanics than the first game, and a coop mode.

In my opinion the first Portal has better story,simple,more charming and memorable.

You right,neither of them hold replay value,so the first playthrough is important,in my first playthrough of Portal 2 i thought myself: "meh !"

Lemming42

Arcane
Half-Life 2
System Shock 2
Soldier of Fortune 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (it's amazing how much of Human Revolution was gimmicky stuff that felt cool back in 2011, like a cover-based stealth system or the dumb "press E to KO, press space to slit throat, even though the mechanics to do both are identical" stuff)

vota DC

Augur
Dune 2 vs Dune 1?
Dune 2 is better but the fact you can click only one unit at once may discourage today's audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom