Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Silentstorm

Learned
And let me guess, Steam has payment options other than Paypal for Ukrainians, even if it's just Steam Wallet cards, those cards that allow people to go to stores and just buy a code, no Paypal or Credit Card required if people really really don't want to use those things online.

I sure know Steam has a lot of payment options, more than other stores, and yeah, most people only use the major and most common options, but the fact there are others is a cool feature of Steam and Epic is behind Valve regarding that.

Yes, Steam has a lot of payment options, but you just made the blanket statement of "everyone not living in a tiny 3rd world nation consisting of two islands should be able to make a PayPal, easy peasy, no need to use those other payment methods" which just isn't correct.

Some people in some parts of the world gotta use shittier payment options, and then it sucks when they have to pay more for a game just because of that. Epic Store brings zero benefit to these consumers, it actually makes games more expensive for them than buying the same game on Steam.
Didn't mean to imply that, sorry, but yeah, Steam's payment options are a key factor in why it got so huge and it's an underpreciated feature of Steam and something many people miss regarding how Valve runs the store, for all it's flaws, Steam didn't grow so big out of nothing.

Too bad that the newest competitor doesn't want to be "Steam but better for everyone" but instead seems to want to be "Steam but the developers win and let's screw some PC gamers or make things harder for some just because we can!".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And let me guess, Steam has payment options other than Paypal for Ukrainians, even if it's just Steam Wallet cards, those cards that allow people to go to stores and just buy a code, no Paypal or Credit Card required if people really really don't want to use those things online.

I sure know Steam has a lot of payment options, more than other stores, and yeah, most people only use the major and most common options, but the fact there are others is a cool feature of Steam and Epic is behind Valve regarding that.

Yes, Steam has a lot of payment options, but you just made the blanket statement of "everyone not living in a tiny 3rd world nation consisting of two islands should be able to make a PayPal, easy peasy, no need to use those other payment methods" which just isn't correct.

Some people in some parts of the world gotta use shittier payment options, and then it sucks when they have to pay more for a game just because of that. Epic Store brings zero benefit to these consumers, it actually makes games more expensive for them than buying the same game on Steam.
The best payment option is the GoG one,you just put your card info and you have a transaction. Why the fuck would you need a bunch of greedy cockroaches as a middle man is beyond me. The western economical system is retarded garbage.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Shit has to get reaaaally bad before someone would consider the inconvenience of trying to use Linnux day to day as the lesser of 2 evils compared to Microsoft's shenanigans.

Yea I think that once windows starts charging a monthly fee for use is when I'd switch. Or just use an older windows idk

The best payment option is the GoG one,you just put your card info and you have a transaction. Why the fuck would you need a bunch of greedy cockroaches as a middle man is beyond me. The western economical system is retarded garbage.

Because having your payment information saved in 1 place is a hell of a lot more secure (and convenient) compared to having it saved in 100 places.

V_K

Arcane
Because having your payment information saved in 1 place is a hell of a lot more secure (and convenient) compared to having it saved in 100 places.
Why would you save it though? Re-entering CC data takes about 30 seconds, hardly a major inconvenience worth taking a security risk or paying the middleman.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Why would you save it though? Re-entering CC data takes about 30 seconds, hardly a major inconvenience worth taking a security risk or paying the middleman.

Paypal doesn't charge purchasers

Paul_cz

Arcane
Sweeney is so annoying. He is like so altruistic and idealist, but at the same time inconsistent and full of shit. I both like him and loathe him. God dammit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember first seeing Tim Sweeney's name in the readme.txts for the JILL OF THE JUNGLE games when I was a kid.

zmevnr585ud21.png

Makes it hard to think of him as sinister.

cosmicray

Savant
No, they did not.

“The PC version of Rocket League will come to the Epic Games store in late 2019. In the meantime, it will continue to be available for purchase on Steam; thereafter it will continue to be supported on Steam for all existing purchasers.”

Once it comes to Epic it will not be available for purchase on Steam, but existing owners will continue to receive support.
It doesn't contradict what I said, which was the answer to a somewhat different statement:
Didn't they announce it would be removed from Steam and Epic is Windows-only.
The game won't be removed from Steam. Obviously they could still just say "fuck you" to all Linux users.

Modron

Arcane
The game won't be removed from Steam. Obviously they could still just say "fuck you" to all Linux users.
Past a certain day they will remove it from sale on steam obviously users who have previously purchased will still have access to it but moving forward it will only be on epic.

cosmicray

Savant
Unless they remove it from every account. Which is technically possible and, let's be frank, with Epic it's not out of the world possibility. Although, the most logical step would be to simply stop updating it on Steam while offering it for free for everyone who purchased it on Steam. F2P is also a possibility, like it always is for every online game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember first seeing Tim Sweeney's name in the readme.txts for the JILL OF THE JUNGLE games when I was a kid.

zmevnr585ud21.png

Bobby Kotick has been CEO of Activision since the year before Jill of the Jungle was released.

Does that make it hard to think of him as sinister?

cosmicray

Savant
Bobby at least never tried to fool anyone into thinking he's someone other than the businessman. And he doesn't get involved in twitter dramas, E3 hype shows, etc. He let other be the fools.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Same here, Jill was the first game by EPIC MEGAGAMES that I played. I have liked Sweeney unambiguosly for...decades, really. I cheered for him when he was roasting MS few years back.
And then he goes and does this stupid shit.

Keshik

Arcane

zmevnr585ud21.png

Give him a couple of years, he too will turn.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Once it comes to Epic it will not be available for purchase on Steam, but existing owners will continue to receive support.
They say that now. It's an easy way to soften the PR blow of the exclusives. I wonder how long it will take until they drop that pretense.

"Oh no one uses Linux let's drop support."

"Oh 98% of the game's players are on Epic let's drop Steam support."

Silentstorm

Learned
At another place someone posted an Escapist article(yes, i know) about why Steam can't have a 12% cut like Epic that i found interesting:
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/05/07/why-steam-cant-meet-epics-price-challenge/
Basically, there are actually reasons why Steam has the 30% cut in place beyond just being greedy and really can't offer what Epic is offering right now, and Sweeney probably knows this so him saying that if Valve reduced the cut from developers he would shut down the store is just a PR movie because...well, Steam has formed in such a way that it can't.

I also like that it points out that the indie developers that wouldn't be able to afford the 30% cut of Steam and can't distribute the games for themselves are also the kind of developers that right now can't enter Epic Games Store because it's heavily curated towards AAA and proven indie games and developers.

The article also makes me think that Epic itself can't sustain the 12% cut and all those payments for exclusives in the long run, the bigger the store gets, the more money it will take to sustain, and while they have a lot of Fortnite money coming in, there's no telling if another game won't manage to become big in the future...though Fortnite is so big i can't imagine most gamers just dissapearing out of nowhere and it not having a fandom that lasts for years.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
At another place someone posted an Escapist article(yes, i know) about why Steam can't have a 12% cut like Epic that i found interesting:
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/05/07/why-steam-cant-meet-epics-price-challenge/
Basically, there are actually reasons why Steam has the 30% cut in place beyond just being greedy and really can't offer what Epic is offering right now, and Sweeney probably knows this so him saying that if Valve reduced the cut from developers he would shut down the store is just a PR movie because...well, Steam has formed in such a way that it can't.

I also like that it points out that the indie developers that wouldn't be able to afford the 30% cut of Steam and can't distribute the games for themselves are also the kind of developers that right now can't enter Epic Games Store because it's heavily curated towards AAA and proven indie games and developers.

The article also makes me think that Epic itself can't sustain the 12% cut and all those payments for exclusives in the long run, the bigger the store gets, the more money it will take to sustain, and while they have a lot of Fortnite money coming in, there's no telling if another game won't manage to become big in the future...though Fortnite is so big i can't imagine most gamers just dissapearing out of nowhere and it not having a fandom that lasts for years.

Also, if there's one thing silicon valley assholes love it's operating at a massive loss in the hopes of future success. Burning money ostentatiously and going into debt is how you show that your company is a winner

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom