Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Yosharian

Arcane
The stat malus kind of makes sense since you can easily min-max the shit out of the important stats but then again, kingdom management isn't that relevant.
Mercs cost money to hire. You might have lost a story advisor due to no fault of your own. Most of the story advisors have pretty strong main stats. Kingdom Management DCs can get ridiculously high. Merc advisors are already penalised because they lack the personality of the story advisors.

So no, it doesn't make fucking sense. It's a single-player game, if I use mercs and I end up gaining a very slight mechanical advantage (and not really, because as I already said, the story advisors have training projects), then that's my decision.

Delterius

Arcane
I keep getting my ass kicked with the Technic League random encounter. What's the idea - is it supposed to be a very tough encounter, to give the player the idea if he has arrived too early at a certain part of the story, or is it supposed to be passable but I'm too underpowered?
It's an AoD encounter. Be taff boi or make taff choice.
bring a full caster with you and cast slicken tbh

ArchAngel

Arcane
The stat malus kind of makes sense since you can easily min-max the shit out of the important stats but then again, kingdom management isn't that relevant.
Mercs cost money to hire. You might have lost a story advisor due to no fault of your own. Most of the story advisors have pretty strong main stats. Kingdom Management DCs can get ridiculously high. Merc advisors are already penalised because they lack the personality of the story advisors.

So no, it doesn't make fucking sense. It's a single-player game, if I use mercs and I end up gaining a very slight mechanical advantage (and not really, because as I already said, the story advisors have training projects), then that's my decision.
It is for balance. When you don't have a advisor for a spot just make a merc that will ever only be an advisor. Max out his stat for that position and you will do OK. If you don't like that, well tough luck. It is how it works. You might as well complain how shooting into melee has a -4 penalty without a feat

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

It is for balance. When you don't have a advisor for a spot just make a merc that will ever only be an advisor. Max out his start for that position and you will do OK. If you don't like that, well tough luck. It is how it works. You might as well complain how shooting into melee has a -4 penalty without a feat
giphy.gif

volklore

Arcane

It is for balance. When you don't have a advisor for a spot just make a merc that will ever only be an advisor. Max out his start for that position and you will do OK. If you don't like that, well tough luck. It is how it works. You might as well complain how shooting into melee has a -4 penalty without a feat
This, pretty sure mercs as advisor is only there to counter-balance the fact that story decisions could leave some of your advisory positions unattended for the whole game.

Sentinel

Arcane
Is leaving Kingdom Management on auto a viable option or will the AI bankrupt me and genocide my entire population?

volklore

Arcane
When auto management is on you cannot lose your kingdom (and lose the game in the process) - you still hae to do stuff, like going to your throne room to receive people coming to visit you, but the rest is handled by the AI. However, kingdom management on auto don't handle artisans well, so you can be missing on a lot of good loot (sometimes build defining). It might not matter much for a blind playthrough as the game give you a ton of good items later on.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I keep getting my ass kicked with the Technic League random encounter. What's the idea - is it supposed to be a very tough encounter, to give the player the idea if he has arrived too early at a certain part of the story, or is it supposed to be passable but I'm too underpowered?
there was time when Grease did not even exist in game :M

Delterius

Arcane
there was time when Grease did not even exist in game :M
well, having a full caster still does solve a lot of problems since octavia is trickster material

also,
meteor shower still doesn't :despair:

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
I haven't messed with any of the new stuff, I was just trying to finish up this playthrough when the "patch" hit.

Maybe I'll put this one on ice before I run into a boss with an AC of 126.

Cael

Arcane
Oh it looks like the bonus stacking from saves bug is back! time got out my adamantium full plate for dumb tranny jaw blond and make her invulnerable to melee hits with stacking 3/- DR :lol:
Wasn't there an outcry sometime ago when a dev kept reintroducing bugs that were already fixed with subsequent patches. And then had to refix them every single time?

Oh it looks like the bonus stacking from saves bug is back! time got out my adamantium full plate for dumb tranny jaw blond and make her invulnerable to melee hits with stacking 3/- DR :lol:
Wasn't there an outcry sometime ago when a dev kept reintroducing bugs that were already fixed with subsequent patches. And then had to refix them every single time?
Komrade's Krokodil Konsumption in action.

Patching for Owlkat as usual.

Cael

Arcane
Komrade's Krokodil Konsumption in action.

Patching for Owlkat as usual.
It wasn't Owlcat, but another developer. Given how the usual Codex suspects slurp Owlcat's asshole, I doubt Owlcat would be given the same negative treatment.

Thonius

Arcane
The using mercenary companions for advisors feature is... well, a little fucked up. First of all, their portraits don't scale correctly, instead being squished into the top right corner of the advisor box. But that's only a minor aesthetic problem. The bigger problem is that they have a MINUS 4 penalty for being Mercs. So not only do you lose the uniqueness of having the story advisors, but you also get a massive penalty for using them at all.

And the story advisors have various research projects to boost their scores while mercs don't.

Great job Owlcat.
It's for the cases when you kill certain someone and have NOONE to fill adviser position!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, they actually do work on their current big game, unlike a certain other so called "AAA" company where they wait for players to fix it via mods. Isn't that right Toddy boy?

Sure, they work so hard their game was unplayable for so long.

Wake me up when they get rid of the kingdom management, camping, cut down map traveling time by 4 (in expeditions vikings; not that the engine is an example; you have horses and you don't spend 4 in game days each time you travel somewhere) and add a ToEE-like combat system.

You probably will be intersted in Realms Beyond I guess....

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game now automatically adds portraits you've added! :bounce:

All these potential newcomers to the game won't know how we played Kingmaker in the olden days. On foot, uphill, 20 miles both ways! :argh:
v7E2zHp.png

My god what the fuck
undefined
v7E2zHp

Quatlo

Arcane
There is a screenshot above showing a level 1 drow fighter mob with 22 ac and +21 stat modifiers overall, do you really need to ask about balancing in this game? :D Fucking goblins have something around +3 str bonus in this game.
:rpgcodex:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm playing on normal, with only one small change - xp for skill use goes only to the one who used the skill. I am lvl2 and with 5 people in the party - myself (rogue, ranged) Linzy, Jaethal, Amiri, Valerie.

Lvl2 is a little early, but with 5 people, you should still be able to do it. The main caster (who summons) flees as soon as you do a little damage to her. I'd engage the two melees with your tank and one melee, charge the secondary caster with your other melee, focus ranged/spells on the primary caster. It's not an easy fight, but it's very doable.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a screenshot above showing a level 1 drow fighter mob with 22 ac and +21 stat modifiers overall, do you really need to ask about balancing in this game? :D Fucking goblins have something around +3 str bonus in this game.
:rpgcodex:
Ok, that's a perfectly valid answer, the game is unbalanced. I was just wondering how should I understand this encounter.

Lvl2 is a little early, but with 5 people, you should still be able to do it. The main caster (who summons) flees as soon as you do a little damage to her. I'd engage the two melees with your tank and one melee, charge the secondary caster with your other melee, focus ranged/spells on the primary caster. It's not an easy fight, but it's very doable.
So far I've been sending Valerie against the two swordsmen, and Amiri agains the wizard, but not against the named character which is the one who summons the wolves. It starts out well, but then Valerie gets frightened and runs away for some 10-20s which allows the swordsment to attack my PC and Linzy who are both using crossbows. Jaethal is too weak to hold them off. Maybe I should really be sending Amiri against the named enemy (forgot the name) and chase him away first, so he can't cast Fear or whatever he is casting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom