Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
"soon we shall dominate"

If soon is "over 100 years later"

Their average lifespan is 125 years or so, so it's not like they're elves. :M
They're a hivemind, the lifespan of one doesn't matter. I don't think a lifespan for Elder Brains are ever mentioned, maybe in some of the more obscure books.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
a3qr1ptjsm931.jpg

From the illithids hideout in the sewers in Athkatla
It is shame that their "hidden" got his head squashed a few hour ago.:obviously:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
thinking.png

1 hour video interview with Swen at China: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av56027142/

This interview was done before the announcement of BG3, so no direct mention of the game. The interviewer seems like an avid reader of his blog and Divinity Developer's Journal but 1 hour was probably too long, topic jumps here and there.

Still, pretty interesting bits there, including possible hints to BG3's combat system:
  • When asked about "the very big RPG that will dwarf'em all", he describes it as a thing far into the future, farther than BG3, almost like Warren Spector-esque idealism.
  • 'Are you going to publish other developers' games?': they did think about it for some time, but they realized they don't have 'mental bandwidth' to do it properly and already have so many things to do with their own game.
  • 'Will things like mind-reading and dragon transformation come back in the future games?' - He can say that there's no half-dragons in the next game.
  • (36:22) "Will you make 3rd person RPG like Divinity 2?': ( :eek: Swen, awkwardly) "I'm not married to a particular format. We find a formula that is interesting... So the big thing I already mentioned to you is that you have to have the systems, you have to have the narrative and exploration, and so forth, challenging combat... Well if we figure out here is a really good combat system that will work well in 3rd person, why not? I mean, with pleasure. Recently we have little bit into the turn-based mode, because we really like turn-based. There's a lot of fun, there's a lot of stuff not done yet in turn-based that we could still do. But there's absolutely no reason why we don't go 3rd person."
  • The interviewer praises their decision to do turn-based combat in D:OS, mentioning the strategic quality of turn-based combat in comparison to real-time one. Swen agrees. "Yeah, the trick about good turn-based combat is making every single decision really matters. That's the player agency we talked about earlier. The game reacts to what you do and it matters. This is fundamental core unit of gameplay. Much harder, well that's not necessarily much harder, in third person. So if have to manage a party, think turn-based is much superior to real-time. Because in real-time they have to give you a pause button. That's because it goes too fast so you can't do the decision, or you have to leave it to an AI. If you leave it to an AI it's not really player agency anymore."
  • "Challenging is good, easy is not good." (Talking how AI 2.0 made D:OS 2's combat challenging.)
  • The interviewer mentions Blackguards as cool (encounters) but not so accessible (ruleset) tactical RPG. Swen seems to have not much say about Blackguards.
  • Swen emphasizes that what they're showing with Fallen Heroes is "just a prototype," and the final game will be very different.
  • Gustav, the dog, is 2 years old. (So Gustav, the project, BG3, is.)
  • (53:03) MCA's role on D:OS2: they learnt a lot about player agency from him; he also came up with the idea "what you guys need is a character that is going to help explain the lore", which is where Fane came eventually.

Neerasrc

Learned
thinking.png

1 hour video interview with Swen at China: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av56027142/

(36:22) "Will you make 3rd person RPG like Divinity 2?': ( :eek: Swen, awkwardly) "I'm not married to a particular format. We find a formula that is interesting... So the big thing I already mentioned to you is that you have to have the systems, you have to have the narrative and exploration, and so forth, challenging combat... Well if we figure out here is a really good combat system that will work well in 3rd person, why not? I mean, with pleasure. Recently we have little bit into the turn-based mode, because we really like turn-based. There's a lot of fun, there's a lot of stuff not done yet in turn-based that we could still do. But there's absolutely no reason why we don't go 3rd person."

thinking.png

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
As someone who has played BG1 ten years ago, when there was no internet and walkthrougs, while I admit that I don't have much experience or knowledge about rpgs in general, I am pessimistic about BG3. Times have changed, gaming industry has fallen so low and poetic beauty of original BG games will most likely not be reached.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It was rejected because Josh forgot to Ctrl+H fampyr and vampire.

Or maybe he forgot to include multiplayer.

DA:I's exploration with DA:O's combat and BG style quest design would be cool.

On second thought, I would leave that to DA: Dread Wolf Rises and rather BG3 to have old school feel.

Last edited:

Jeru

Novice
If BG3 will try to emulate / "take inspiration" from Dragon Age, even Dragon Age: Origins it will be decline imho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom