Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where the majority of the game takes place in one city-sized area

Codex Year of the Donut
List 'em.
Doesn't have to be the entire game, just most of it. e.g., PS:T(Sigil) and BG2(Athkatla) are acceptable.

A couple more I can think of:
Divinity 2: Flames of Vengeance(almost exclusively takes place in a city — forgot its name though)
Dragon Age 2

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Define what specifically you mean by 'one area'?

If you define 'one area' as limited to one city (and its surroundings) as in your examples, Harebrained's Shadowrun games fit the bill, being set in Seattle, Berlin and Hong Kong respectively.

Then there is plenty of blobbers and other Dungeon Crawlers which are set in just one Dungeon, from Grimrock over Eye of the Beholder to Dungeon Master and many more.

Still, I don't think this will get us very far unless you define more clearly what you are looking for. Gothic is technically set in one area (prison colony) but it is so big that going by that logic Avernum would fit the bill as well, being set in a prison cave system, even though its a huge area. Is Morrowind one area, it being an island?

Codex Year of the Donut
Define what specifically you mean by 'one area'?

If you define 'one area' as limited to one city (and its surroundings) as in your examples, Harebrained's Shadowrun games fit the bill, being set in Seattle, Berlin and Hong Kong respectively.

Then there is plenty of blobbers and other Dungeon Crawlers which are set in just one Dungeon, from Grimrock over Eye of the Beholder to Dungeon Master and many more.

Still, I don't think this will get us very far unless you define more clearly what you are looking for. Gothic is technically set in one area (prison colony) but it is so big that going by that logic Avernum would fit the bill as well, being set in a prison cave system, even though its a huge area. Is Morrowind one area, it being an island?
I didn't want to limit it to cities by saying city, and couldn't think of a better word.

Tytus

Arcane
Ultima Underworld - Takes place in the Abyss
Ultima Underworld 2 - Takes place under Lord British Castle.

But those locations are pretty big so I don't know if this counts to you.

deuxhero

Arcane
Does Tribunal count? It's an expansion pack, but it's all within a single city outside of the final dungeon and quest leading to it.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The Shadowruns were already mentioned, otherwise I can think of:

- Vampire: Bloodlines (L.A.)
- Hero- U (The castle)
- Victor Vran (Most locations are part of the big city)
- Temple of Elemental Evil (The Temple)
- Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva (The Town of Riva)
- Ys: Origin (The Tower of Darm)

For completeness sake:

- Planescape: Torment (Sigil)

Last edited:

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva
Siege of Avalon (sort of)
Menzoberranzan (+Dungeon+village)

:troll:Hellgate: London

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mysteries of Westgate, South Park (with a brief excursion into Canada). :)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A Dance with Rogues: Part 1. Although you leave the city of Betancuria two or three times for certain quests (some of them optional), 90% of plot related events happen there. And despite Neverwinter Nights suboptimal engine the city is really great.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does Tribunal count? It's an expansion pack, but it's all within a single city outside of the final dungeon and quest leading to it.

Its in fact located only in Royal citadel of Mournhold the city being in Lore bigger than Vivec. Old World Blues located entirely (except starting bunker) In Sierra Madre:

V_K

Arcane
Alternate Reality: The City (duh).
Most Quest for Glory games (except maybe for 3) have a small town + nearby wilderness setup. QfG2 particularly has most of its action happening to one big city, with occasional forays into the desert.
Venetica (except that one chapter that take you to Africa)
Dishonored (if qualifies as RPG)
Ultima 8 (you didn't say good RPGs)
Legends of Valor (ditto)
Arcatera: The Dark Brotherhood (or playable RPGs for that matter)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Swordflight's Calimport is bigger than BG2's Athkatla. It consists of 150 areas including several sprawling districts under which are 17 sewer system zones under which are 30 or so Dark Calimport Undercity zones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom