Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demise/mordor work well on win10?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Demise/mordor work well on win10? Are they even available? Last i checked the link sites it seemed like little to no activity and it feels like physical copy is unattainable much less just a digital copy. Mordor was a bit of an anomoly in design imho. It was fun and frustrating at times. I have no idea on the sequel.

Zeriel

Arcane
Demise/mordor work well on win10? Are they even available? Last i checked the link sites it seemed like little to no activity and it feels like physical copy is unattainable much less just a digital copy. Mordor was a bit of an anomoly in design imho. It was fun and frustrating at times. I have no idea on the sequel.

I don't know on 10 since I use 7, but it works fine on 7. There is a free version that uses the retail version with some patches that add minor new content. The pay-for-play version has a much bigger fan expansion, but the content is not really worth the cost, especially when you remember almost no one finishes the retail version, let alone more.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, some of us are ocd in wants even if completing is nigh impossible.

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, I can tell you from personal experience you're really not going to miss it. The only really nice feature I wanted from the paid mod version was they sped up melee swing animations which is nice when you're a ninja with 10+ attacks, but the actual fan content itself is pretty garbage from my recollection, you really are just there for the original levels.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm running Demise: Ascension on Win 10 with no issues, but your mileage may vary. You can buy the download version of Demise: Ascension through Decklin's site directly or on GamersGate:
https://www.decklinsdemise.com/order.php
https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DEMISE/demise-ascension

I got mine through a bundle deal on GamersGate years ago. Also, of possible interest, apparently a 3rd expansion is actively in the works: https://www.decklinsdomain.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6609

Mordor does not currently work in Win 10, in my experience. I think I ran it on a virtual machine running XP to get it working.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is this the legal full version of Demise? That broken English is a tad confusing. Eh. Might just buy it. I saw this for mordor

Of this that beginning to get it to run looks good. Buying it is cheap I guess. Reminds me a little bit like an advance wizardry 1-3 in some ways. So, that's not too bad for some old school imho. I recall I had this on a shareware disc from a store.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
too-small.gif

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
After watching a vid dating back only 6 months I think Ascension is probably worth it. I'd probably just buy the digital version since its v1.06. From those links, ROTK (Rise of the Tavern keeper as a possible add-on) might be worth the wait. I also just saw this:

Finally, we're targeting Mordor v1.1 for a 64 bit Win 10 compatible release.

Well, that's certainly easier than running it from dosbox - win inside but eh... I'll think about it for the new year. I'll probably fuck around with the patches for Hellgate London since I just bought the DVD. Glad I avoided that mess on STEAMing POS version.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I noticed on a thread in Decklins site you need to register the game for a code else it only works for 30 days. Can anyone confirm this? I'm still considering on waiting for ROTK (Return of the Tavern Keeper) coming out which would be parts 1-3 i guess instead of Acensions 1-2.

tindrli

Arcane
I noticed on a thread in Decklins site you need to register the game for a code else it only works for 30 days. Can anyone confirm this? I'm still considering on waiting for ROTK (Return of the Tavern Keeper) coming out which would be parts 1-3 i guess instead of Acensions 1-2.
i dont know, most of us here are playing free version. what about that ROTK? where did you found info about it.. can you share a link?

Dakka

Savant
Damn, I never thought I'd see a Windows 10 version. I started playing again a while back but got tired of having to use an emulated system to run it. Hoping to try Demise again too.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Alright, just picked this up. Had an annoying time downloading it on the win10 comp for some reason (and my gmail is totally fucked on both computer saying routing error). Had to dl on the win7 and move it over (no bigge). Took just a little bit to get that long assed code for full version. Man, get code from gamersgate, type in on decklin's to get big ass code.

So, i guess its current version directly from download. The town screen looks fucked up in full screen. Dungeon screen is better. Mouse is damn inverse so move up looks down.. move down looks up.. fucking duke nukem 3D all over again.

Small ui to look at and there's white section all blank. Black would have been a better fit. Its small due to screen res. I'll screenie in a bit. No manual pdf... Youtube vids made this look easier and nicer to work with.

I got attacked by 2 snakes and i guess she just auto-attacked. Up close couldn't see the fuckers. Saw a sack but up close can't see it and mouse looking sucks. Guess I'll read the website forums.

So, first gamersgate purchase. I picked up mordor as well.

Yeah....
that definitely applies.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
ok, gamersgate is a fag and with my new winxp laptop it will not let me on gamersgate or run the mordor.exe (keeps saying failed connection even though i did get it connected via firefox. I own the fucking game from gamersgate but fuck. Try to install on win10 laptop or win7 I have and it fails because not compatible. So, I'm kind of fucked as I can't get a dosbox win3.1 or w/e to work with a network wifi internet. It just fails. I guess I'll have to buy a god damn physical disc copy or see if someone has a full version set up already in a dosbox/win3.1 bullshit. BAH! fucking gay. My damn inept skills at navigating these fucking compatibility issues.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Try otya's winevdm[ on Win10. Double click the install.inf file to install it system-wide so that it automatically works with win3.1 executables.

Does Mordor need some sort of activation? I always ignored these games because the developer seems to want online activations but the GamersGate page says that it is DRM-free.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
From gamergate it does. First have to log into gamergate to get their exe for said game (sort of similar to a gog install but not)

When you have the "game".exe doemloaded you must be connected to internet when you run it. It pops up an account/password panel then it goes to a decklin special install that is not compatible with 64 bit. Since notging installs and if you quit there are absolutely no files or folders.

Now, i recently bought a win xp computer and got it hooked up but the install failed to work as well. I'll have to buy physical media from decklin's site to get the old Mordor full version working. Gamersgate failed me there. I should see if Numen Contest of Heroes installs.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When you have the "game".exe doemloaded you must be connected to internet when you run it. It pops up an account/password panel then it goes to a decklin special install that is not compatible with 64 bit. Since notging installs and if you quit there are absolutely no files or folders.

Is that account/password panel for the game itself or GamersGate's downloader? DRM-free games in GamersGate have some custom downloader that you enter your username/password but you can tell the downloader to keep the install files - if you do that without closing the downloader you can grab the install files right from it. It is a very primitive program, probably done like that to avoid having doing per-game installers (all it does is download the game's original installer - some games even have autorun.inf, etc like they'd have on a CD - and runs it, it doesn't even do its own installation procedure). It does rename the installer executable for some reason, but it is trivial to just grab the files:
  • Run the installer you downloaded from GamersGate from an empty folder
  • It tries to launch the installer, doesn't matter if that fails but even if you get an error message, do not close the error message nor the installer
  • Under the folder where you run the installer from, there will be a new folder with the actual installer files
  • Copy those somewhere else
  • Close the error message/installer/whatever
Then you can run the real installer from the files you copied. All that assuming what you mentioned with the account/password panel is the GamersGate one, of course.

I bought ~40 DRM-free games from GamersGate and pretty much all of them had this stupid installer, but they were truly DRM-free (i mainly bought low budget early/mid-2000s games from there and ran it on my mid-2000s PC which has no Internet connection).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'll try. Maybe I'll have some luck and get it transferred to the winXP machine.

Dakka

Savant
I never ordered physical copies, but I have purchased both Mordor and Demise from Decklin's site. Of the two, I have only ever been able to get Demise working on Windows 10, and I think Demise took a little tinkering to get working right. I haven't attempted to play Mordor 2 in years.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, I ordered the Mordor 1:
The Depths of Dejenol physical copy. In addition, I got the digital versions free. I'll pic when i get the box. I'll say this, NEVER BUY THIS through gamersgate. I could never get through because i used an older computer through firefox. Just failed.

Numen, on win10 envy did dl and install. Anyway, next to install on the oold win98 machine.

tindrli

Arcane
This is the hottest thread on teh Codex. Why has no other blobber come close to Mordor 1: Depths of Dejenol?
to be honest i dont know. what i know is that i dont feel nothing remotely close while playing other blobbers comparing it with mordor/demise. not even M&M series and i love to play those as well
Also Demise is one of the few games that i always have installed. always

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom