Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Before the explosive era of Halo? Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast came out after the first Halo, that Halo era was already in full swing by the time of Jedi Outcast was out. Seems kind of weird Outcast is the one they went with as opposed to Academy, or didn't bundle them together.

It'd be nice if interest in this led to Activision letting Raven Software do something like that series again, instead of what they are doing, which is Call of Duty multiplayer for other studios.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FpoSdzUiDnsmcPnwP9qxe6-650-80.jpg

https://www.pcgamer.com/hunt-down-t...pinoff-gets-some-brutally-funny-achievements/

Hunt Down the Freeman, the really bad Half-Life spinoff, gets some brutally funny achievements
The game is bad, but the achievements are very good.

Hunt Down the Freeman is an interesting idea—a member of the special forces team sent in to clean up the mess at Black Mesa in Half-Life swears revenge on Gordon Freeman for wiping out his pals—and a very bad game. Accusations of asset theft didn't seem to hold up, but it was broken, buggy, and poorly designed.

But there is one good thing about it now: The achievements. Noticed yesterday by Twitter user Squibbus, they were recently added by M3sa, the one developer who hasn't washed his hands of the whole thing at this point, and they are doozies.

M3sa said the achievements are based on suggestions from the Hunt Down the Freeman Discord, which themselves were largely drawn from inside jokes and memes about the game. "game SUCKS I go to BED," for instance, is a literal (and complete) Steam user review. They're mainly intended as a joke, but M3sa acknowledged that they also reflect frustration with the state of the game, and their role in it.

Despite the surprise addition of achievements, M3sa said that no work has been done on the game itself in a long time, and expressed doubt that any more would occur.

"I have a build I've worked on to replace weapon sounds and improve some maps' playability, but they aren't public right now," they said. "All my files are spaced out between two computers and it's kind of a pain in the ass to get them back together in one package, and then on top of that, uploading the build to Steam is messy. It's a lot of work for something that made my life hell for a year."

On top of that, M3sa said they still haven't been paid for all their work. "I was paid about half of what I was owed. Some people weren't paid anything, including some of the voice actors," they said. "I was brought on like two or three months before it was released. I was only supposed to be on for two weeks, but it stretched out for months because the project had such a high turnover rate."

M3sa doesn't expect that payment to ever come. The studio behind the game, Royal Rudius Entertainment, is gone, and the lead on the game, Berkan Denizyaran, is now employed at Activision. Because of that, they're not pursuing any kind of legal action to try to get what they're owed.

"I've put it pretty much behind me," they said. "It was kind of a clusterfuck."

The achievements are real, by the way, but not actually achievable within the game: M3sa said that the only way to get them right now is with third-party software.

Cross

Arcane
Before the explosive era of Halo? Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast came out after the first Halo, that Halo era was already in full swing by the time of Jedi Outcast was out.
It came out only 4 months after Halo, which means it was in development long before and wasn't influenced by it. So the article is correct when it says:
It's a notable port that captures a particular moment in first-person game development history after the foundational days of Doom but before the explosive era of Halo, Call of Duty, and their brethren.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It'd be nice if interest in this led to Activision letting Raven Software do something like that series again, instead of what they are doing, which is Call of Duty multiplayer for other studios.
Raven not being allowed to make video games is one of the greater travesties of the video game industry, at least if we discount everything EA is responsible for.

Raven not being allowed to make video games is one of the greater travesties of the video game industry, at least if we discount everything EA is responsible for.

It is one of the great video game travesties they seemingly have no greater control of their projects anymore. Especially since it seems they still have people from the days they were the lead on games around, just talking about their last two Star Wars games it looks like the designer of Jedi Academy and Outcast is still there. It almost seems weird Activision doesn't just basically have them making new Soldier of Fortune games under the Call of Duty label to have one more in the rotation.

At least they aren't just simply doing UI stuff for CoD like it sounded like they were doing when the transition from making their own games happened.

Reinhardt

Arcane
What are you talikng about? Played some tb goodness to the morning yesterday and never seen any ching-chong.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/duke-nukem-3d-composer-sues-randy-pitchford-gearbox-and-valve/

Duke Nukem 3D composer sues Randy Pitchford, Gearbox and Valve
Bobby Prince claims his music was used in Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour without permission.

Composer Bobby Prince, who wrote music for Doom, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D, has filed a lawsuit against Gearbox Software, the company's chief executive Randy Pitchford, and Valve, claiming that his music was used in 2016 shooter Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour without his permission, and without him receiving compensation.

In a document submitted to U.S. District Court — Eastern District of Tennessee, Prince's attorneys described how 16 songs he wrote were used in 1996 shooter Duke Nukem 3D under an agreement with developer Apogee. "Apogee had a limited right to use Mr. Prince’s music in Duke Nukem 3D in exchange for a royalty equal to $1 per unit sold," they said. Prince had registered the copyrights for the songs.

Gearbox Software purchased certain rights to the Duke Nukem games from Apogee in 2010. Prince claimed the company went on to use his music in Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour, the 2016 update to the shooter, without his permission. "The electronic files for the music within Duke Nukem 3D World Tour include text specifically stating that Mr Prince owns the copyright to the music and has reserved all rights to the music’s use," the court document read. "Yet Gearbox incorporated the music into the game without ever contacting Mr Prince and without clearing the rights expressly mentioned in the electronic files."

Furthermore, Prince claimed he contacted Randy Pitchford requesting royalties for the music in the 2016 game, and was told he would be "taken care of", but never received any money. Pitchford also "refused to remove the music from the game", Prince's attorneys said.

Prince also contacted Valve, he claimed, regarding the distribution of the game on Steam. "Valve ignored a takedown notice, thus waiving any immunity under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and continued distributing infringing copies of the music despite knowing that Mr Prince owned the copyrights in the music," the document reads.

Gearbox Software, Gearbox Publishing, Randy Pitchford and Valve have been given 21 days to respond to the summons.

~You've got to pay my royalties...do you hear me?~

YldriE

Learned
I mean, good on them, but is "I love you more than Tacos, I love you more than video games, I love you more than Sprite" really something you put in your wedding vows?
Yes. Thank God there are people to not give a shit about useless conventions and traditions if they can make something fun and memorable. Even this low-brow kid stuff requires more balls than the average people calling him out possesses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom