Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Damn, Lithium, bro...

Some of us are reading on smartphones, where it's a bitch to scroll

Keep those ONE MILLION WORDS inside Disco Tedium where they belong, not spilled out over the forum in an ocean of butthurt.

Sure thing dude, I will promise to stop trying to engage people in the fine art of intellectual internet deb8 when I'm bored if you promise to stop going on rants about lizard men and "the coloreds" every time your anti-psychotics run out ok

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
For some reason, when I create a new character and pick up the right shoe from the balcony, it doesn't get added to my inventory. I started a couple of new games, they all failed to register me picking it up. When I tried an earlier save file of my first character, it worked properly...

Am I to forever wear only the left shoe, while the right one is stuck in a perpetual limbo, never reuniting with its pair?!

What if that secret 5th area is actually Limbo Elysium (underworld in greek mythology) and you'll find your shoe there. :M

Prime Junta

For some reason, when I create a new character and pick up the right shoe from the balcony, it doesn't get added to my inventory. I started a couple of new games, they all failed to register me picking it up. When I tried an earlier save file of my first character, it worked properly...

Am I to forever wear only the left shoe, while the right one is stuck in a perpetual limbo, never reuniting with its pair?!

I found my shoe. Maybe you're just too myopic?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

are you sure it's not just going directly on your feets?

None

Scholar
Sooo i have question guys. Is those attribute voices a psychological thing or is it a supernatural element?

From what I understand they are all psychological. Some may end up giving you some supernatural information that isn't conventionally available, but they're all internalized. Could be wrong though.

Deleted Member 16721

And so far we don't know if the game features supernatural elements. It's hinted at, or sometimes implied a bit, and there are a few weird things that can be explained by mental illness, but it keeps you guessing, sort of like a Lynch movie.

Prime Junta

And so far we don't know if the game features supernatural elements.

The Pale and its effects on people who regularly traverse it is pretty damned supernatural as far as I'm concerned.

Also I'm really curious about that book on Fascist magic.

Deleted Member 16721

The Pale and its effects on people who regularly traverse it is pretty damned supernatural as far as I'm concerned.

Also I'm really curious about that book on Fascist magic.

Interesting.
Is The Pale the dream world? Otherwise I haven't found it yet.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
It sounds to me like Disco Elysium will explain away all typically eastern game bugs with ". . . it was always intended to be that way. . . it's a feature." Meanwhile, you're still questioning if your required quest item disappeared as a part of an actual quest line element or is an actual bug. But maybe, just maybe, it is your codexian mental illness and you need only to take your drugs meds; the shoe was actually there all along. There is no spoon. You'll never really know. Jokes on you.

Prime Junta

If ever there was a game you can legitimately play through wearing only one green crocodile-leather shoe, this is it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Repost with feet.

bataille

Arcane

are you sure it's not just going directly on your feets?

That's what the shoe does on my character with numerous levels in inland empire, after a note about acquiring it. The brute, however, "gets it" and that's it, I don't even receive the usual "Item acquired!" notification. The shoe is just gone from the balcony...

Also, I forgot to update my game. Maybe the new patch opens up a massive rift in reality filled with all the missing green crocodile shoes? The hanged man has nothing on this mystery.

Prime Junta

The brute, however, "gets it" and that's it, I don't even receive the usual "Item acquired!" notification. The shoe is just gone from the balcony...

Sounds like the missing item notification might be a bug. Not getting the rest of it is just failing a passive skill check, I think.

lobsterfrogman

Scholar
Question about UI: Above the health and morale pools there are icons with a cross and a number in it. What do they represent?

luinthoron

Learned
My daily search for more DE, because I'm clearly a desperate junkie by now, has unearthed two more articles:

https://news.softpedia.com/news/disco-elysium-preview-pc-527715.shtml (more screenshots, some quite interesting new ones in the article's gallery)
Disco Elysium Preview (PC)
We take a deep dive into the mind of an unstable Sherlock

It's completely wrong to try and play a detective adventure game with a character that has the IQ of a chimpanzee, but that's totally cool in Disco Elysium. Indeed, you won't have an easy time, but playing a dumb but strong detective in a decrepit world is perfectly viable in this game.

Disco Elysium is a quirky RPG where you play an alcoholic detective who wakes up in a pool of his own puke with no recollection of what happened. Depending on what skill you chose before the opening sequence, your monologue will be shorter or longer, but keep in mind that the longer it is, the more information you'll learn about who you are.

There are 24 skills and at least half of them are quite unusual for an RPG, such as encyclopedia, drama, conceptualization, visual calculus, esprit de corps, shivers, savoir-faire and a couple more. Disco Elysium is a game that throws at you a lot of checks that require a wide range of skills. You can have all the skills, but those that you have will help you overcome some challenges using a specific path.

The game is split in days, which means that some things won't happen until one or more days have passed. The more things you manage to discover in a day the better, and while there might be deadlines to solve certain puzzles, it seems that you can take your time to unveil the whole plot.

I've been given access to a preview version of the game that allowed me to play through the first day, but I died after 4 hours reading a letter addressed to me, probably because my heart couldn't cope with the shock.

Morale and health are the only two stats that matter in Disco Elysium and you get them in very short quantity at the beginning of the game, so any shock or fight can kill you fast. There are plenty of objects in the game that replenish either morale or health, but they're useless if you're one-shoted.

Disco Elysium is a “game of words.” There are way more than one million words in this game, so be ready for a lot of reading and less combat action. I confess I didn't understand everything that developers probably wanted to convey to the player, but I did feel the emotions.

disco-elysium-preview-pc-527715-3.jpg

I also love the oil paint art style, I think it fits perfectly with a psychological thriller like Disco Elysium. I haven't got into a fight yet since I went the Sherlock way and boosted my “deduction” skills instead of trying to get physical, but my next playthrough I'll try another path.

I did see a lot of what the game has to offer during my several hours spent in Disco Elysium to know that this game will be eye-opening. Developer Za/UM says the game could take between 60 to 100 hours to finish, so I'm ready to take their challenge.

Thankfully, I won't have to wait too long, as Disco Elysium is scheduled for release on PC via Steam on October 15.

https://indiannoob.in/disco-elysium-an-explosion-of-creativity-and-unbridled-ambition/
Disco Elysium- An Explosion of Creativity and Unbridled Ambition

“Revolutionizing RPGs”. In the many decades of Computer Role-Playing Games, such a statement has been thrown around so much that it has lost its gravitas. A bold statement for sure, but one that’s easier said than done. From Betrayal at Krondor to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the obsession with shaping limited and contrived VRPGs in the mould of Pen and Paper RPGs, an endless ocean of creativity and possibilities, is an ongoing process. A hit and miss process, to be sure. While Original Sin 2 and Pathfinder have been successful in emulating tabletops digitally, compromises are always made, especially in balancing the mechanical complexity with reactive world-building.

ZA/UM, A European video game developer comprised of artists, writers, entrepreneurs, and activists that initially wanted to bring forth a cultural renaissance before turning to full-time game development, is now taking the shot at ‘Revolutionizing RPGs‘. As if that wasn’t weird enough, the title of the game that is supposed to bring this revolution is even weirder. Disco Elysium, they call it. An isometric detective RPG with the prime focus on bringing the complete tabletop experience to your PC. Sounds ambitious? It is.

6.jpg

Calming the voices in my head, I wake up with the worst hangover in a sleazy motel room. Naked. I have no idea who I am or how I got here. The mirror told me that I had a face showing years of alcohol abuse and suppressed pain. Collecting my scattered clothes, I head outside, only to be greeted as ‘officer’ by the tired lady in a jumpsuit just outside my room. She told me that I was a police officer and has been in the small city of Revachol for three days, most of which I spent stone-cold drunk. To this, I replied, “why would anyone let ME be an officer of the law?”. With this, I had taken the first step in defining how I wanted the world to perceive me. I was the ‘sorry cop’ and no one would be safe from hearing me wallowing in self-pity and disgust.

20191003092234_1.jpg

Apparently I’m here on official duty. There’s been a murder 7 days ago. Tensions have been on the rise between the union of dockworkers and a mega-corporation. A corporate mercenary has been hanged and the suspects are, obviously, the union workers. The fact that the corpse is still hanging in its original position and the alcohol-induced retrograde amnesia insinuates that I’m not a really good cop or a well-functioning human being for that matter. But the murder can wait. The top priority is the philosophical back and forth between me and the dozens of voices in my head.

20191003091055_1.jpg

Much like what Planescape: Torment did 20 years ago, Disco Elysium plans presents the player with a unique and bizarre world to explore, humongous walls of texts to stare at, wads of ways to get through quests and giving the complete reigns of the pre-determined hero to the player. Similar to Torment, Disco Elysium puts you in the shoes of a fixed character from a fixed designation but the real magic lies in how much freedom you get in shaping character both physically and intellectually, as well as influence the events of the world and shape its outcomes through your actions. Not even a single dialogue escapes the gaze of over 20 skill checks the game employs. Even though every skill check doesn’t affect the dialogue drastically, it results in well-written lines of texts to pop up. It’s a thinking man’s RPG for sure, but one that will not be much interest to people that dislike reading.

20191006210839_1.jpg

Now, you may have seen RPGs try to do these things before; presenting a reactive world, a character who can be moulded to your liking, choice-driven gameplay and more. The difference between those games and Disco Elysium is the degree of success in doing so. Within 2 hours of playing the game, I had mapped out the initial traits and behaviours of my detective. Not just by putting points into shiny columns but also by putting myself in his shoes and confronting the world with his worldviews. It’s not my avatar I was staring at. It was Det. Harry Winsor, a confused, pathetic excuse for a human being that can’t do anything right. Within the next two hours, I had taken up neo-communism, lost my gun, badge and crime reports, got bullied by a substance-abusing teenager, crashed into a wheelchair-bound paraplegic, burst into tears in front of a union leader, and die due to a cardiac arrest before the day was over.

20191003191600_1.jpg

But the city of Revachol wasn’t ready for Det. Dushyant Phillauri, the baddest of the bad. The daddy of the baddy. Within the first two hours, I had taken up racial theory, lost my gun, badge and crime reports, hit the substance-abusing teenager in the face and made him respect my authority, mishandled a 7 day old corpse and tried to steal its shoes, asked the wheelchair-bound paraplegic out, beat the union leader at his own game and told cardiac arrest, “not today”. The third playthrough had me play a pseudo-feminist who said things like “do you have a phallus in your ear” to male chauvinists. Disco Elysium is self-conscious and doesn’t shy away from ridiculing the modern socio-political climate and propagandas. It expects you to take the game in the same spirit as well, which may be off-putting to some people. Just chill out, will ya? It’s a video game.

20191003100346_1.jpg

Aside from the variety of role-playing possibilities to be found within, one unique aspect of Disco Elysium is The Thought Cabinet or THC. THC is the main way through which the game lets you be one with your character. Disco Elysium keeps track of all things you say, how you say it and who you say it to. Then presents the summarised version of commonalities as thoughts to the player. You can internalize the thoughts in the thought cabinet to reveal its true identity and how it affects your detective. They function as traits, perks, reputation, and alignments; and gives defining or even contrasting personality traits to your character. Pursuing traits like good cop, bad cop, asshole cop, superstar cop, suicidal tendencies, hell even an art degree is possible thanks to THC. There are about 54 thoughts in the game but the player will only see about 16 per playthrough.

20191003151444_1.jpg

Disco Elysium is a visual treat and I expect no less from a collaboration of artists. The hand-drawn world looks something out of an oil painting and ushers in the retro-nostalgic feel of the ’70s and ’80s. Even though most of the interaction is in the form of text, they are accompanied by well-designed animations to give them visual flair. Though I have given so much praise to the game, there are several kinks to work out. The option to pan edges of the camera, more responsive and smooth character handling, ability to customize UI, font size etc are really needed if Disco Elysium is to deliver on all fronts.

20191003101259_1.jpg

It’s not possible to say if Disco Elysium is going to re-invent the RPG genre with just the 15 hours I spent in the preview version. But what I can say is that it is a massive game made with lots of love and care. The sheer amount of brilliant writing and creativity in Disco Elysium is seldom present in any other game in the genre. It’s a thinking and reading man’s RPG that continues to reduce the gap between PnP RPGs and VRPGs. It’s a very ambitious and experimental game that’s not going to be everyone’s cup of Masala Chai. The lack of traditional combat, text-heavy gameplay and slow pace might turn casual players away. Truth be told, I haven’t been this impressed with the narrative of an RPG since Torment. Hopefully, the rest of the game continues to keep up and polish this excellent formula. Expect a full review once the game launches on October 15.

20191006220912_1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom