Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
This game does feel a little bit like Obsidian selling out. Like when a breakout artist goes mainstream and starts making the same generic pop songs as everyone else.

With FNV, if they wanted to make another Fallout game they had no choice but to use Bethesda's tech, so it was forgivable. But when they have the opportunity to make anything they want, they make... a game that looks and plays like Bethesda's games. If you want to make a shooter-rpg there have to be more ways than slurping at Todd Howard's sloppy seconds.

On the other hand, one thing I think people don't give Gamebryo enough credit for is the level of interactivity in the environments; that ability to just pick up random objects and toss through clutter. It may not heavily affect gameplay but it does make the world feel more alive. I noticed it right away with Kingdom Come Deliverance; the world felt very static and artificial, and this feels similar.

Yosharian

Arcane
Unspoilered, saved as PNG (adds like 1mb to the filesize for no reason), 2k resolution for no reason... you're doing it wrong, Rusty

frajaq

Erudite
real quick can someone hit me up with the Tim Cain's inverview where he says this is his "dream game"

Codex Year of the Donut
Yosharian here's a version for people using australian internet, hope you guys get 56k soon
australian-version.jpg

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
wacky ruleset with absolutely bizarre attribute scaling, perks are boring as fuck, overall it's not that interesting to play with.

Part of this could be easily fixed if they dropped from 50 to 30 skills. It's a good system , just need some tweaks. Also agree about Perks. They could make interesting perks , they don't even need make much ''special'' perks because of the flaw system. Just cooler perks..
Or even forget perk at all. Some bonnuses from the skills would be perk in a Fallout game.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
real quick can someone hit me up with the Tim Cain's inverview where he says this is his "dream game"
It was Boyarsky who used that phrase specifically

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10425

What's your dream game that you'd like to make? And when are we getting Bloodlines 2 or Arcanum 2? What Troika game would you like to make a sequel to the most?

I'm happy to say that I'm currently working on my dream game.

Blunder!

Codex Year of the Donut
It was Boyarsky who used that phrase specifically

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10425

What's your dream game that you'd like to make? And when are we getting Bloodlines 2 or Arcanum 2? What Troika game would you like to make a sequel to the most?

I'm happy to say that I'm currently working on my dream game.

Blunder!
Maybe he was working on multiple games simultaneously :M

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
a game that looks and plays like Bethesda's games. If you want to make a shooter-rpg there have to be more ways than slurping at Todd Howard's sloppy seconds.

I mean , the gameplay seems a bit like Bethesda. But imo it plays more like a Mass Effect or Kotor , even each ''mission''/planet have a certain companion that reacts much more (Ellie don't stop talk in Roseway). It makes things like the choice of companions more meaningful because perhaps you can a more information, get to know the world better, resolve something differently because of them or just get a really funny line.

Of course you've fetch quests, even tho i think those are way better than anything in Skyrim or FO4 because they can matter to resolve a quest later and some places feels pretty statics, dead and meh.. But the later feel like is a legit more a lack of budget than anything.

Edit: the game also suffer form lack of enemy variety and combat being too easy after a while.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Really wish it was possible to see the quests you have show up on the map and you can activate them like in Witcher 3. That way you can go to the nearest one complete it and be on your way.

Really dislike the quest tracker for Outer World, you can only activate one quest at a time and they only show up on the map if they are activated.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I don't think I can keep going. Quests and writing continues to be total crap. I haven't come across a single memorable character or quest in my 15 hours playing. The choices suck, too. Like this bitch wont give me what I want but I can't take it from her without turning an entire city against me. Do I really have to kill everyone in this city just so I can advance the story without doing a bunch of fedex quests?

This is the 4th city I've visited and just like the previous 3 it's devoid of any meaningful NPC's or quests and I'm tired of looking for nothing. Really unfortunately because I was enjoying the mechanics very much. My game pass expires tomorrow but it's time to throw in the towel. There's just no motivation for me to keep going. I guess I'll just be lurking around from here on out.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
Do you lose the flaws if you respec?
I'd recommend against picking any flaws, perhaps sans robophobia so you can scream in dialogue at every robot you meet.

warning: picking Robophobia makes using SAM a bad decision since his mere presence will give you the minus stat debuff

and SAM is a Good Companion

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom