Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Habits - Paying Bills while Farming Kills

How strict is your gaming regimen?

• I play on a strict timetable

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I play whenever and don't feel the need to organise my time

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I only rarely play vidya nowadays, but when I do, I binge. I spend every minute I can on it by leaving work early, sleeping too little and eating unhealthily. The addiction burns in my brain like a fever. But by the time the game's over I'm a burnt out husk and won't feel like playing anything for a while.

Can't really recommend but that's how I roll.

I chose not to have a partner/wife or have kids. I'm 43 and decided some time ago that becoming a grownup was shit. I can do what I want, when I want, for as long as I want. So the secret to finding time to dedicate yourself to gaming is staying single and masturbating a lot.
are you me from the future?

thesecret1

Arcane
Come back from work, sit your ass down, do nothing but play until bedtime. You should be able to get around 6 hours of RPGs every day that way. That's plenty of time to get immersed.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Come back from work, sit your ass down, do nothing but play until bedtime. You should be able to get around 6 hours of RPGs every day that way. That's plenty of time to get immersed.

Yes sir!

This seems good on paper but man if more time on a computer after getting home from work is rarely an appealing concept.

But maybe I just need to suck it up and push myself harder. No pain no gain!

Trashos

Arcane
When real life takes over and I can't get immersed into games, I just do other stuff. Why do you consider this to be a problem? You may even find yourself compelled to do exercise or dating, and generally add to your arsenal of ways of having fun.

What is it you do when you don't feel like gaming?

overly excitable young man

Sometimes i think it was all just wasted time, but actually having a life is so boring.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When I play, I play a few hours at a time. I don't enjoy the idea of only playing in 1 hour bursts; in that situation I'd rather go work out or do something else. I am picky when it comes to RPGs, so I don't feel the need to play everything that comes out. I also don't play every single day, and I don't play games at work (visiting forums is okay, though).

On a typical weekday, I'll have about 3 to 4 hours free time at home. Sometimes I spend it playing, sometimes I work on hobby projects, sometimes I'm here chatting with you lot, etc. It's a pretty good form of entertainment. In theory I could just dedicate all my free time to hobby projects or study, but "all work and no play".

When I travel, I only bring my work computer which doesn't have any games. Right now I'm travelling out of town for 3 days, so that's 3 days of no RPGs unless I get really aimless and play something on the phone or load up some abandonware (unlikely, but now that I'm typing this...)

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
Video games are gay. Lookit this...

DSC_0983.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Elves will not kill themselves good Codexer, take up thy trusty mouse and heft that keyboard with a lusty relish, for with every Elf slain we make a better world.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I play them at work when I'm not browsing the Codex.

The only reasonable solution.

Also, I play games at night when everyone's asleep. That's the moment when noone bothers me anymore. If you think it's difficult to be a gamer and a working man at the same time, imagine how it is when you also have a family (like spouse, child or god forbid, children), a few friends and one or two other hobbies.

Still, I manage to complete some new games and advance through my backlog. Steadily, patiently, one game at a time.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Tell me you fuckers. How do I make it work without constantly day dreaming about games I'll never actually be able to get into as much as I want to.

Easy, first, you have to stop playing shitty games like ME and Twitcher so you'll get more time for good ones.
Then, you can play at work when it's slow or if you're so efficient you have plenty of free time and too smart to let anyone know about it.
If it's not enough, rainy winter days ...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If you had the privilege of growing up during the Renaissance era between 1996 and 2004, you need not play anything anymore.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
If you had the privilege of growing up during the Renaissance era between 1996 and 2004, you need not play anything anymore.

Ah the curse my generation bear...

Still, it would be like giving up reading just because I've read all of Philip K. Dick's books.

There is plenty of enjoyment to be had if I can just approach each game as its own thing, probably.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Tell me you fuckers. How do I make it work without constantly day dreaming about games I'll never actually be able to get into as much as I want to.

Easy, first, you have to stop playing shitty games like ME and Twitcher so you'll get more time for good ones.
Then, you can play at work when it's slow or if you're so efficient you have plenty of free time and too smart to let anyone know about it.
If it's not enough, rainy winter days ...

Truth in this- both ME and Twitcher had first entries with nice stories and potential which were followed up by mind numbing action sequels that I didn't even need to turn on my brain for. Very sneaky method of fooling me into thinking I had just grown sick of the RPG formula.

Playing Kingmaker has made me realize that without challenge these games are mind garbage, with challenge they are a very nice and satisfying way to spend some time.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here

Ah the curse my generation bear...

Still, it would be like giving up reading just because I've read all of Philip K. Dick's books.

There is plenty of enjoyment to be had if I can just approach each game as its own thing, probably.

There are likely a lot of games people have missed from that era too that they can still spend time going through today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom