Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Isles of Adalar - open world fantasy action-RPG with co-op and level editor - now on Early Access

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know about gameworld, but its stability is certainly TES inspired :-/. I had the game crash three times at startup, then after a reboot i managed to run it up to the character creation but once i started the game (chose the 8GB world because that is the RAM i have ATM) it crashed again.

I'm redownloading the files just in case, though i doubt it'll make any difference.

That's a weirdly specific point to make without attaching even a ballpark number to it

The Skyrim devteam was just 90 people, according to this article about its modular level design approach from one of the designers.

Now consider that alongside this photograph of the Skyrim development team. There are 90 people in the photograph below. With the exception of a small number of outsourced assets, you’re looking at the entirety of the dev team across all disciplines. We've resisted the temptation to grow into a multi-studio team of hundreds, such as you often find behind games of similar scope to those we make.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Played about 30 minutes of the demo. Had no performance issues and actually kept at 60 fps the vast majority of time. I'm more impressed than I was at first glance, but nothing about it really excites me except...
You can be a furfriend!
J68CwG7.jpg

And try to fuck furfriends!
NBCwgZU.jpg
:smug:

Map definitely reminds me of the Morrowind map too
354hkLd.jpg

90 is surprisingly high for Skyrim, I gotta say. I would have guessed 20 or 30 given how sparse and unpolished the content was.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think i figured out the issue with crashes... according to this comment by the developers the game doesn't have streaming but instead loads the entire level in its entirety (hence the 6GB requirement for VRAM).

I do have enough VRAM (8GB) but it looks like the 8GB version of the world needs more than 8GB of regular RAM (i only have that, i'll upgrade at some point around Christmas). I guess they didn't try it on an actual 8GB RAM machine with Windows 10 and the new Steam running at the background :-P (though fortunately you can run it without Steam).

Ranarama

Learned
Voice acting is the worst fucking thing to happen to RPGs. No wonder everyone complains about C&C being hard to pull off. The moment all your dialogue needs voicing and you've got to pay people to do it, your budget is fucked.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Considering their lack of social media presence, lack of updates during the campaign, lack of any requested YouTube or press coverage, it's likely the team didn't feel confident over this indiegogo in the first place.

I would think the team is going back to development with whatever they made and maybe try again after some work is done.

ADL

Prophet
I've been playing this for about an hour and there's certainly far worse ways to spend $20. The quests I've come across are incredibly barebones but at least they're not relying on quest markers (so far). The combat is incredibly weird and clunky feeling, especially in first person. I'd rather have Morrowind's miss miss miss than whatever this is trying to do. Dark Souls and first person perspective don't mix so I'd appreciate it if everyone would stop trying to blend them together.

You come across about five companion NPCs that you can recruit to your party in the first ten minutes that decimate the introduction zone's enemies. You start off incredibly weak and without the companions you're fucked. Companions are the worst thing about Bethesda's games so I wish they'd just remove the companion system entirely and rework the introduction area where instead of starting off in a dangerous wilderness area I can start in a settlement and kill some rats or something instead. The multiplayer seems to work alright, the music is decent and the character models are ugly as sin but that's fine because the environments look good. The furry race sucks though, hope they heavily rework their aesthetic because they look straight out of Second Life. Everything looks straight up like Vvardenfell but I'll give that a pass because giant mushrooms and marshlands are more interesting than generic medieval sword and sorcery shit

Frankly even if this crashes and burns miserably, at least someone's out there trying to make something like this. If you wanna spend an afternoon or two fucking around with a friend in a Bethesda-ish open world game where you can kill stuff, loot stuff and go around pickpocketing people, check this out. It might be Unity-based but at least it's not fucking Gamebryo.

For everyone else, check it out 18 months from now. It's at least something I'll keep installed and check out periodically.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Everyone tell this dude to drop the fucking voice acting and invest in better writing and scripting instead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom