Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm worried that Kingmaker's success might give them the wrong idea and thinking they are actually competent game designer, then trying to "evolve the system" in their next game.

Kingmaker is a great game and all owlcat did was dragging it down with their awful design choices and endless bugs.

Stick to the PnP system and adventure module, leave all those bullshit encounter design and dice meddling out of the game.
Yes i agree, stick to pnp system.

It's turn based.

Because that’s all Pen and paper can handle. You’re modeling a real-time phenomenon. Your tool (computer/console) can handle real time. Use it.

We’re not Amish.

The first Pillars of Eternity sold better than Kingmaker. I'd recommend you wait and see how their sequel does before putting them mentally on the same level as Larian Studios

I'd double down and say they're (at least) on the same level now. AFAIK none of the newer Obsidian writers have proven to be as competent as the older ones, I haven't bought TOW so don't know how much Cainarsky had to do with the writing there, and - just personally - preferred the wiriting/mental level/structure of PK to POE anyway.

Still, my post was a bit of a troll at Sawyer's expense. He essentially admitted that he doesn't know what fun is - when the Codex always seemed to assume that it was just never allowed under his watch.

I'm not really interested in the Pillars vs Pathfinder pissing match. What I'm saying is that in recent years we've seen a lot of sequels that tanked compared to the original games. It's almost a rule these days, with Divinity: Original Sin 2 as the sole exception. So be careful before proclaiming Owlcat Games as the next RPG powerhouse. People talked about Harebrained Schemes the same way after Dragonfall and that didn't last.

sorry, you will be very upset by Owlcats continued success I am afraid.

As long as they stick to pumping out modules (or AP's) to pathfinder or D20 or AD&D and sticking strictly to the rules I guarantee this to be the case. All the other technical details will fall by the wayside, so unless somebody completely fucks up and spends the entire production money on cocaine or something, if they follow this simple formula they will succeed, it won't be a 'fluke'.

You are completely right. The marked showed time and again that if you find dedicated niche audience you can survive for years by producing very similar middle-budget games that can reuse some of the assets you've already made.
Examples:
Dynasty Warriors and clones (shitload of them)
Neptunia (6 plus weeb RPGs)
Kings Bounty: The Legend (they made 4 almost identical games and are now creating an upgraded sequel)
Atelier (I don't even know how many of those are there, they are almost identical)
Etrian Odyssey (5 games + 2 Persona spinoffs)
IMO Owlcat could produce at least 3 more Pathfinder games that are just Kingmaker + more shit (classes, races, spells) + new campaign.

it should get easier for them too. Their biggest hurdle IMO is overthinking it and trying to add too much of their own ideas or god forbid creating their own RPG system or something... or over simplifying and dumbing it in order to bring in people who don't even like RPG's. If they must dumb stuff down, I would hope they do it as optional switches, don't just eliminate.

Xeon

Augur
they say devs spoiled the module but did anyone find the full image?
Those people are twats. The devs did a good job.
I thought he meant the devs revealed the full image by mistake or something.

---
I doubt they will try and come up with their own systems, they are probably fully aware what people who liked their game thought of PoE's systems.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ooh.

Yes, he's referring to the supposed fact that the devs accidentally leaked the adventure path being wrath of the righteous.

AFAIK, even if that leak actually happened, the spoiler image itself has not yet been shared, accidentally or otherwise.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ooh.

Yes, he's referring to the supposed fact that the devs accidentally leaked the adventure path being wrath of the righteous.

AFAIK, even if that leak actually happened, the spoiler image itself has not yet been shared, accidentally or otherwise.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I was confused and thought they were talking about the game.

deuxhero

Arcane
Shirtless character in new reveal doesn't look like an ally (note the face isn't really in "focus", lacking details, which suggests a generic character) and does look like a monk (What other class walks around shirtless?). Only 2 APs with enemy human monks I know of are Jade Regent (where they're masked ninja) and Hell's Rebels (Where they're one class of generic enemies.).

Desiderius

Patron
Shirtless character in new reveal doesn't look like an ally (note the face isn't really in "focus", lacking details, which suggests a generic character) and does look like a monk (What other class walks around shirtless?). Only 2 APs with enemy human monks I know of are Jade Regent (where they're masked ninja) and Hell's Rebels (Where they're one class of generic enemies.).

Wrath of the Righteous/Hell’s Rebels mash-up?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why are monks enemies? Is it the hellcat monk?

deuxhero

Arcane
They're "Asmodean redactors", in charge of editing the official history. As far as I can tell, they're supposed to be opposite number of Irori's Sacred Order of Archivists you're working with during that part. (Ultimately they're kind of a joke in the module as written because they're low level chained monks, but I'm sure any rewrite would fix them). Asmodeus actually has quite a few monks, as he has orphanages/indoctrination centers that teach it to kids.

Thonius
There's Monks in that? Only one I can find is a Rakshasa. Was this a 3.5 to hardcover change?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm worried that Kingmaker's success might give them the wrong idea and thinking they are actually competent game designer, then trying to "evolve the system" in their next game.

Kingmaker is a great game and all owlcat did was dragging it down with their awful design choices and endless bugs.

Stick to the PnP system and adventure module, leave all those bullshit encounter design and dice meddling out of the game.
Yes i agree, stick to pnp system.

It's turn based.

Because that’s all Pen and paper can handle. You’re modeling a real-time phenomenon. Your tool (computer/console) can handle real time. Use it.

We’re not Amish.

LOL. All rpg games "model a real-time phenomenon". According to You all people playing turn-based crpgs on their modern computers (which are able do deal with real-time) are Amish. I like your way of thinking.

Wait, there's more. All crpgs, many/most strategy games, tactical games and wargames and more deal with "real time phenomenon". Those Amish you mentioned must be the most computer savvy religious group in the world.

:positive:

Desiderius

Patron
LOL. All rpg games "model a real-time phenomenon". According to You all people playing turn-based crpgs on their modern computers (which are able do deal with real-time) are Amish. I like your way of thinking.

Wait, there's more. All crpgs, many/most strategy games, tactical games and wargames and more deal with "real time phenomenon". Those Amish you mentioned must be the most computer savvy religious group in the world.

:positive:

Wouldn't put it past them. They're pretty handy with a jigsaw.

Whatever. From the looks of it you faggots are gonna force games to be both going forward. I get it. Age of Empires and Warcraft rubbed my completionism the wrong way for years (I stuck to Civ). But now TB RPGs are just too immersion-breaking. Like mobs are just going to stand there and let me hit them? Why not just round up your grandsons to play 40K with you and let the rest of us enjoy our computer games?

purpleblob

Savant
So, I've been talking to more PF experts on Discord and they firmly believe it will be Wrath of Righteous - a mythic level AP.

The lady with white hair is not an elf but a gnome. The architecture that's been revealed appears to be of Kenabres (fortified crusader city bordering the Worldwound - which is quite close to Kingmaker setting):
800px-Worldwound_expansion_map.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
It's epic levels that can be tacked onto a character of any level, giving them parallel advancement. This gives characters some random abilities that make them better at survival. After this each character gets one of 6 pseudo-classes (no multiclassing) and takes their choice of special abilities out of them, plus a special ability at the start of their class.

Casting classes get to pull any spell in the game out of their ass on demand. The martial classes get to move and full attack in the same turn or ignore concealment and cover for one attack or reduce the damage from a single attack. There's no support for any hybrid characters or those that do anything slightly outside of fighter/mage/thief/cleric, minimal support for characters that use pets, and loads of other issues.

Nobody liked it (at least not without heavy 3PP support. Legendary Games literally rewrote the entire thing to make it sorta work.) Paizo only ever gave it new material once after the first wave, and that was just to make the occult classes sorta compatible. They've only ever mentioned it for boss monsters (since it makes them harder to kill and lets them act twice without adding much offense if done right).

Thonius
That's the iconic Monk. As in one of the characters they use for illustrations that stands in for the players. He's in loads of stuff.

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant
It's epic levels that can be tacked onto a character of any level, giving them parallel advancement. This gives characters some random abilities that make them better at survival. After this each character gets one of 6 pseudo-classes (no multiclassing) and takes their choice of special abilities out of them, plus a special ability at the start of their class.

Casting classes get to pull any spell in the game out of their ass on demand. The martial classes get to move and full attack in the same turn or ignore concealment and cover for one attack or reduce the damage from a single attack. There's no support for any hybrid characters or those that do anything slightly outside of fighter/mage/thief/cleric, minimal support for characters that use pets, and loads of other issues.

Paizo only ever gave it new material once after the first wave, and that was just to make the occult classes sorta compatible. They've only ever mentioned it for boss monsters (since it makes them harder to kill and lets them act twice).

Thonius
That's the iconic Monk. As in one of the characters they use for illustrations that stands in for the players. He's in loads of stuff.

Apparently, its just tacked on top of your normal progression (so you can still multiclass) - you just get to choose 1 of 6 mythic paths on top of your current progression.

deuxhero

Arcane
purpleblob
The no-multiclassing is refering to the total inability to mix mythic paths (with one exception only one of the six paths can take and even then only once). If you're a Magus, you have to choose between boosting your inferior magic or an inferior boost to your melee abilities. If you're an Alchemist you're completely and utterly fucked because they aren't actually casters, many of them aren't melee focused, their bomb damage has nothing to boost it and lags behind with the increased defenses ect..

Thonius

Arcane
Thonius
Yeah if you zoom in on falling dude from puzzle image he is looking sorta like iconic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom