Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

zapotec

Liturgist
Hmm didn't wrath of righteous add the mythic system?

Thonius

Arcane
IMO Pathfinder ATM worth full price tag. Just buy it and play it.
Kingdom is good for first or second playthrough. Then it can be stale.

Last edited:

Mojobeard

Augur
I'm happy they're finally adding Oracle.

For those that don't know, it's a divine spell caster that works like Sorcerer; Charisma based, limited amount of spells known but more casts per day, and its "Bloodline Powers" (Mystery Revelations) are actually useful. Battle Mystery for example gives you tons of fighting feats if you want to melee. Bones Mystery gives you a skeleton buddy, turns you into an undead, and other necromancy stuff. And so on.
You also have a curse, which ranges from crippling to barely noticeable, and gives you boons related to it every 5 levels. So you could make amazing use of your charisma based character and be deaf, but all your spells are silent and you have tremorsense. Or you could choose something safe and boring like being harassed by spooky ghosts, so it takes extra time to take out your items, but you get Mage Hand. OOoooOooOOoOoo.

My favorite archetype is Spirit Guide which is even more customizable, but I doubt it's in, since it uses a Shaman (Witch/Oracle combination) class feature.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the kingdom management is as bad as people make it out to be? I'm getting the game soon when its on sale again
I liked it at first, but at roughly after act 3 it becomes a chore. Random events repeat too much, building structures beyond 2-3 settlements is boring and matters too little, building structures in general is very clunky, and leveling up kingdom stats takes too long and is terribly implemented: once you start, for two weeks (1 after an upgrade) you can't take 5 minutes to address new events that pop up. Even if your kingdom is burning to the ground in the meantime you're unable to do anything while you're discussing farming turnips with an advisor for two weeks :hearnoevil:

Trashos

Arcane
Even if your kingdom is burning to the ground in the meantime you're unable to do anything while you're discussing farming turnips with an advisor for two weeks

Nearly all events (with very few plot-related exceptions) blow up at the end of the month. Just make sure you are around at he end of the month and have advisors available.

Most events take 14 days to complete, and rank ups also take 14 days. You have time for two events per advisor each month, and said advisor will still be available at the end of the month for whatever new problem may have come up.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
I know. It's a workaround for poor design though. The game could just stop the time skip whenever a new event appears or an advisor completes a project, so you could assign new tasks while upgrading a stat. Advisors can travel beyond the kingdom’s borders while working on events but you’re completely shut off from the world for two weeks? Come on, that should’ve been fixed long ago.
I don’t think the kingdom management ruins the game but it could be a lot better.

user

Savant
Is the kingdom management is as bad as people make it out to be? I'm getting the game soon when its on sale again

Even though some of its mechanics may be annoying or not make too much sense, I think it's pretty damn good considering it's their first iteration and what the competition offers. It offers a sense of the passing of time and progressive growth of your kingdom. It is decently connected to the main game loop, influenced by your choices and making quests and threats feel more real by directly threatening your kingdom. So what if councilor missions are filler? The game is still packed with RP, with throne room events which can be resolved with a decent range of options and have some impact FOR A DAMN CHANGE.

Could it use a lot of improvements? Definitely. For example the resolution/annex time upgrades shouldn't be fixed but instead give players a chance to research them earlier. Yes, it would be cool if each generic mission was a mini-dnd campaign masterpiece by itself instead of being generic, but we are not there yet.

Would I prefer a more personalized class stronghold like the good old D'Arnise Keep or the Planar sphere packed with RP events ONLY? Fuck yeah, I'll never forget overworking those apprentices to death. Imagine a good, extended adaptation of that in a modern game. Let's hope they will go for it.

Delterius

Arcane
Aha, you are EPIC MYTHIC just because you are EPIC MYTHIC and it essentially replaces EPIC levels without going above lvl 20, got it.

I don't like it.
To be fair, the mythic paths are being pigeonholed into certain character types -- demon, angel, lich, etc -- so it kinda adds to a feeling of endgame ascension.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Aha, you are EPIC MYTHIC just because you are EPIC MYTHIC and it essentially replaces EPIC levels without going above lvl 20, got it.

I don't like it.
To be fair, the mythic paths are being pigeonholed into certain character types -- demon, angel, lich, etc -- so it kinda adds to a feeling of endgame ascension.
>endgame ascension
I read that as Diablo 3. Please don't be Diablo 3.

Delterius

Arcane

I don't like it.
>endgame ascension
I read that as Diablo 3. Please don't be Diablo 3.
Read it as a reference to a beloved and ancient mod for bg2 instead.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
But as far as I can tell, you can choose a mythic path at lvl 1 and it basically allows your characters to be better than other level 1 characters just because. Why is this needed or a good idea?

Delterius

Arcane
But as far as I can tell, you can choose a mythic path at lvl 1 and it basically allows your characters to be better than other level 1 characters just because. Why is this needed or a good idea?
Nu, the mystic paths are post level 20 shenanigans. Picture a necromancer necromancing all the way and then fuggen lichdom happens.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, I reread the rules and it says you begin as a *tier* 1 mythic character, not a level 1. My bad.

Delterius

Arcane
When are the events of the game situated as compared to Kingmaker? At roughly the same time? Earlier? Later?
Pathfinder continuity doesn't seem very detailed when it comes to dates but I've read in forums and such that its generally assumed the adventure paths occur in order of release.

• Council of Thieves (August 2009)
  • Kingmaker (February 2010)
  • Serpent's Skull (August 2010)
  • Carrion Crown (February 2011)
  • Jade Regent (August 2011)
  • Skull and Shackles (February 2012)
  • Shattered Star (August 2012)
  • Reign of Winter (February 2013)
  • Wrath of the Righteous (August 2013)
  • Mummy's Mask (February 2014)
  • Iron Gods (August 2014)
  • Giantslayer (February 2015)
  • Hell's Rebels (August 2015)
  • Hell's Vengeance (February 2016)
  • Strange Aeons (August 2016)
  • Ironfang Invasion (February 2017)
  • Ruins of Azlant (August 2017)
  • War for the Crown (February 2018)
  • Return of the Runelords (August 2018)
  • Tyrants Grasp (February 2019)
So lots of things have indeed happened.

deuxhero

Arcane
Wrath of the Righteous actually occurs during Kingmaker since that takes roughly 5 years of in-game time. There's actually an event in Kingmaker where you can choose to send crusaders to the Worldwound, but it's bugged and never properly triggers despite entering your journal.

Delterius
One exception to that is that Hell's Rebels and Hell's Vengeance take place at the same time and many following APs take place during Kingmaker since it lasts so long in game time. Some adjacent APs could overlap.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Wrath of the Righteous actually occurs during Kingmaker since that takes roughly 5 years of in-game time. There's actually an event in Kingmaker where you can choose to send crusaders to the Worldwound, but it's bugged and never properly triggers despite entering your journal.
I think I had that event when I played.
a crusader came to ask for volunteers to join and I said yes, then I had cultists posing as concerned citizens trying to convince me to change my mind and trying to kill me when I didn't

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't you actually get some bonus vs Evil for that later, down the road? Like "Mendevian Crusaders" country-wide buff or something.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Yes, iirc you get a project that gives you a bonus vs evil and one huge structure (crusader's castle or something) for the capital.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I worked for me the first run thru the game, in subsequent runs I never met those crusaders again. Dunno why, perhaps it's a random encounter that starts it and when using lots of teleport circles you never encounter it?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I worked for me the first run thru the game, in subsequent runs I never met those crusaders again. Dunno why, perhaps it's a random encounter that starts it and when using lots of teleport circles you never encounter it?

It is alignment-unique Kingdom quest for LG. Afaik you can get 3 of them in one walkthrough, first one for your alignment and 2 later from "neighbors".

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Some artists that Paizo commission do a better job. Take a look at this guy:
lie-setiawan-img-20190816-131354-061.jpg

lie-setiawan-blood-of-the-ancients-lie-setiawan.jpg

lie-setiawan-beyond-the-veiled-past-liesetiawan.jpg

lie-setiawan-pathfinder-playtest-adventure-doomsday-dawn-cover-liesetiawan.jpg

lie-setiawan-gallowsofmadnesscover-liesetiawan.jpg

lie-setiawan-attack-on-the-crimson-liesetiawan-paizo.jpg

lie-setiawan-openfeat-liesetiawan-paizo.jpg
His art thingy if you want to see more: https://www.artstation.com/liesetiawan

Definitely a massive step-up from most of the Pathfinder art!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom