Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Pondswith stopped to be reliable the moment that declared "I did not wanted give the cyberpunk license to make a game that is cyberpunk just in the title" and later being perfectly fine to Cyberpunk 2077 beings a FPS.

So you're a bigger authority on the themes of Cyberpunk than the creator of the setting.

'k

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I may be not an authority but pretty much almost all the pen and paper fans thinks like that. Just check the forum of Cd projekt red. Ah you may have to scroll down since the moderator Sardaukar that loves to post pics of ponies tend to lock any negative thread and spawn the forum with useless polls nobody asked about.

Prime Junta

I may be not an authority but pretty much almost all the pen and paper fans thinks like that. Just check the forum of Cd projekt red.

Nah, only a really vocal subset of retards who are unable to see the forest for the trees.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well ot each one his own opinion of course.

Is retarded to expect some degree of continuity with the source material the game is based from how terrible of me! :D

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pondswith stopped to be reliable the moment that declared "I did not wanted give the cyberpunk license to make a game that is cyberpunk just in the title" and later being perfectly fine to Cyberpunk 2077 beings a FPS.

So you're a bigger authority on the themes of Cyberpunk than the creator of the setting.

'k

Not to argue about Pondsmith authority, and he is free to say anything his consience allows him to, but he's neither first, nor the only creator to sell his child for a handful of bloody shekels.

Danikas

Arcane

'k

Not to argue about Pondsmith authority, and he is free to say anything his consience allows him to, but he's neither first, nor the only creator to sell his child for a handful of bloody shekels.

George-RR-Martin-DB-Weiss-David-Benioff.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game not even come out and this shithead already talk trash about themes/setting as if he knows it better than the actual creator of the setting and the game's developer.

Go home and suck your mom's tits loser.

Prime Junta

Huh, if the FPS gameplay is competent this could actually turn out to be fun.

(Big if though, not going to put much weight in a single puff piece like this. Presumably we’ll hear more presently...)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Huh, if the FPS gameplay is competent this could actually turn out to be fun.

(Big if though, not going to put much weight in a single puff piece like this. Presumably we’ll hear more presently...)
pretty much. anyone who's expecting a deep RPG with complicated system that interact in lots of ways like say DnD games are deluded from the start.

from the trailers there are just few things that worry me:
-enemy level increase also exponentially increase their HP pool therefore endgame enemies will be pain in the ass damage sponges.
-they will give you enough points/EXP that in endgame you can master almost everything, therefore the real fun gameplay choices where you are forced to stick with your style is only in the beginning/mid of the game.

there are still unknown factor like weapon variety and the differences in handling them but few we see are cool (homing bullets, ricochet enhancement so i can play as revolver ocelot) and the map looks fantastic. it's still good to be cautious and keep hype in check, but it's shaping up to be alot of fun.

Prime Junta

enemy level increase also exponentially increase their HP pool therefore endgame enemies will be pain in the ass damage sponges

This is my biggest concern right now, along with the likelihood of brain dead mmo style leveled loot. The boss battles in the trailers certainly looked spongy.

Melee looks bad too but that’s probably not a problem since you ought to be able to avoid it simply by not making a melee build.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Melee looks bad
well i really never played first person game with good melee combat. closest i played is dishonored but it isn't an RPG and HP bloat isn't really a problem. KC:D is very good but the melee combat is the core of the game. and yeah, i don't know how they will sustain 50+ hours campaign without the weapons being super repetitive with higher stat. i really hope the weapons will be upgrade focused instead of replace basis.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They imagined that computers would keep getting smaller and more powerful; personal electronics more personal and more powerful until eventually they merged with the humans they served; drugs would get stronger, more varied, and easier to obtain. They thought that Reagan's and Thatcher's utopia would quickly go dystopian as the rich would get unimaginably rich, the poor would fall off the train, and corporate power would eclipse and eventually take over governments and state power.
Much like what we have today then.

Has the time come to rewatch the 15 mins demo? Because pretty much everything there looked rather bad. Melee is always terrible in 1st person games, but the stealth and gunplay in CP77 were also pretty bad. My hopes are for a good interactive movie a la Witcher 3.

I still have this question unanswered, regarding character customization - if the character is fully voiced and the player can choose his character race - will differences in voice be reflected for black and asian characters? And if not, which is most probably the case, can we expect some delicious SJW drama over this? :)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
well i really never played first person game with good melee combat. closest i played is dishonored but it isn't an RPG and HP bloat isn't really a problem. KC:D is very good but the melee combat is the core of the game. and yeah, i don't know how they will sustain 50+ hours campaign without the weapons being super repetitive with higher stat. i really hope the weapons will be upgrade focused instead of replace basis.

I had some fun smashing people violently with two-handed hammers in Skyrim. The Shadow Warrior reboot had good melee combat. Project Warlock's axe thing was cool, as was Doom's chainsaw. It's definitely not as obviously better in first-person as shooting is, but there's some good stuff out there.

Harthwain

Magister
if the character is fully voiced and the player can choose his character race
Here:
"You don’t choose your gender anymore. You don’t choose, ‘I want to be a female or male character’ you now choose a body type. Because we want you to feel free to create any character you want," Jonkers explained.

"So you choose your body type and we have two voices, one that’s male sounding, one is female sounding. You can mix and match. You can just connect them any way you want. And then we have a lot of extra skin tones and tattoos and hairstyles. So we really want to give people the freedom to make their own character and play the way they want to play."
Source

jf8350143

Liturgist
Here is my take:

The combat will be OK, nothing spectacular but serviceable as a AAA title.

However the dialogue system will be completely shit. You won't know what your character will say because the sentence they show is shortened and the option will be very limited most of the time(they showed a scene with one dialogue option for you to "choose" in the trailer).

And the cinematic experiences will be way worse comparing to Witcher 3 because they ditched all the 3rd person cut scenes. The protagnist will be a half-assed character because he has too much things pre-defined but still needs to be "player's character", instead of a flashed out character like Geralt.

Basically it's going to be a watered down version of Witcher 3 where it lose some of Witcher 3's greatest strength, and the new stuff won't be able to make up for it. Whether you think it's a good game or not will depend on how much you love Witcher 3.

Oh and CDPR will make one more single player RPG at most before they start go full rock star, sit on piles of cash the MP brings in and do nothing.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Melee looks bad

Dishonored Melee Combat.. You mean like.. Instantly killing any enemy with one hit? I wouldn't say that counts.

KCD is probably the closest.. but that's a setting without guns. Can you imagine going through the motions of some complex 5 point system of rock paper scissor style riposting and striking enemies while some dude stands behind you, unloading a bullet storm into your head?

Also personally I found KCD's efforts noble.. but ultimately annoying to deal with and pretty shallow.

I really don't know if any game has even done good First Person Melee..
I think we are doomed to Floaty Skyrim shit where you side step around poking at enemies.

Beowulf

Arcane
Dark Messiah had pretty good melee combat for an FPS, even with The Kick being your best killing move quite often.

Other than that Mordhau and Chivalry comes to mind.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Dark Messiah had pretty good melee combat for an FPS, even with The Kick being your best killing move quite often.

Other than that Mordhau and Chivalry comes to mind.

What? No.. it was terrible..
I don't even have to explain why.. you just did..

Kicking shit into spiked walls was literally the most effective and only fun part of the entire game's melee combat design. I spent every fight looking for environmental doodads to stuff enemy sponges into.. because the combat was so shit.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
They imagined that computers would keep getting smaller and more powerful; personal electronics more personal and more powerful until eventually they merged with the humans they served; drugs would get stronger, more varied, and easier to obtain. They thought that Reagan's and Thatcher's utopia would quickly go dystopian as the rich would get unimaginably rich, the poor would fall off the train, and corporate power would eclipse and eventually take over governments and state power.
Much like what we have today then.
Except those dystopian visions of the future from the 80s and 90s were quite badass and depicted social degeneration in a rather thuggish way - you know: gangstas, bitches, people who don't give a fuck etc. No one predicted that the world would turn into a huge advertising plant managed via Internet social media that would degenerate society in the most vapid and grotesque manner.

So unfortunately this:
jy1b9TG.jpg

is not our reality. I say "unfortunately" because I'd rather hide from cyborgs than live in the era of Turdbook, Cuntagram, or Shitter. FUCK.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's not going to be Deus Ex. It's going to be first person Witcher 3 with guns, that's what people need to expect from this. And Witcher 3 was hardly a RPG.

This being said, if it is competent at that, then all will be fine and we will have a good game. To become a classic worthy of several playthroughs even 10 years from today, then it would however require to be much more than that or to be extensively modded.

JDR13

Arcane
I couldn't care less how much of an RPG it is as long as the game is good.

What's more important: having X amount of RPG mechanics so people can qualify it as an RPG... or having a game that's actually fun to play?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom