Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rock-Paper-Shotgun Top 50 RPGs on PC

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Yakuza, Nier, Stardew Valley..

Looks like their definition of "RPG" is pretty loose.

Matter of fact I wouldn't even consider Undertale because it's more like a gimmicky SHMUP

Other than that tho - would the actual Kodex list really be THAT different :D:P

Falksi

Arcane
From that list there's around 10 games which I'd consider for a top 50.

The worst thing they do is pick games from a franchize which aren't even the best game in the franchize.

Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2 , Skyrim, Nier: Automata, Mankind Divided etc. just a few examples of games which should further down the list than their predecessors.

Reads more like a lits to appease what they think people want to hear, rather than a quality list of quality RPGs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you're butthurt about this, i wonder how you'll feel about IGN's list. https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-rpgs/20

unknown.png

Ok I'm definitely Chrono Triggered now

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Well I'll admit I have not set foot on RPS since they make it a constraint to disable AdBlock (&co.). This list is decent, sure some titles there are not "TRUE" RPGs but it could have been way worse.

I am curious to see that the Codex still pays attention to a site that would considered by most users here: a den of scum, degeneracy, SJW values broadcasting center, "cultural marxist" hotspot, <insert any alt-right invented derogatory term>.

Anyways, we should ignore such lists and websites because who needs them when you have the CODEX RPG LIST to guide us in these dark times of DECLINE.

mondblut

Arcane
this list lack jrpgs.

02. Dark Souls
11. Undertale
12. Nier: Automata
13. Yakuza 0 [new entry]
14. Stardew Valley
15. Planescape: Torment
19. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster [new entry]
21. Monster Hunter World
32. Anachronox
35. Dragon Quest 11 [new entry]
45. Chrono Trigger [new entry]
50. Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom [new entry]

I think 12-ish entries is more than enough

It's 12 too many.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Star Traders: Frontiers made the list :cool:

There isn't a Codex review of this, just a handful of posters interested in Trese Brothers shilling the game where possible. They are criminally underrated.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fuck all of you nerds shitting on DOS2. It is one of the super rare crpgs with an actual good combat. The fact that it is popular means that industry will make more. Stop acting edgy. Yea it has problems but it least it gets something right.

What are you going to rate as having better combat? BG2 and Pathfinder with their complete rng armor systems? Give me a break. Or some simplistic shit like underrail/fallout? I enjoyed all those games don't get me wrong but give credit where credit is due. The only game to try and make alternative to DND rng trash is POE which failed miserably and DOS which while has its problem actually succeeded.

Being an edgy story fag is not synonymous to being incline.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Jagged Alliance 2 combat destroys DOS2. As does Silent Storm and ToEE.

DOS2 is a fag's game, fullstop.

There are better combat games so what? How is that relevant? It still has better combat than like 99% of top 100 rpgs listed here. No one is arguing it should be #1. Just that this edgy attitude of popular=bad and it is not #1 game = decline is fucking retarded.

Let's make this distinction clear cause people here seem to be very confused. If you rate a game with absolutely dysfunctional combat like planescape or vampire the masquerade over games like DOS2, you do so for 100% storyfag reasons by definition.

Harthwain

Magister
I am using Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin and AdBlocker Ultimate.
...Why? That's way overboard. uBlock Origin is enough, just use that.
I had one, but it didn't block something on some site somewhere, so I added another. This happened again at some time (I think the sites learned how to recognize the were blocked), so I installed another and didn't bother uninstalling the old one, partially because I wasn't sure which to uninstall and which to keep. Thanks for pointing that out.

You might well be correct that this list is the best we can expect from mainstream videogame "journalism", but this supposedly Top 50 CRPGs list has zero games from the 1980s and three games from the 1990s, indicating the writers possess remarkably little knowledge of the computer game genre they are ranking.
I doubt it is supposed to be a historical list by any means. It looks more like a contemporary list of games (contemporary to people who were making it), with some older games thrown in purely because they are widely known in the gaming sphere for being the best RPGs.

This list ranks Final Fantasy X-X2 as the 19th best RPG on PC. Let that sink in for moment.
So what? Diablo 3 is on the list. I wouldn't pay it much attention. Such lists are inherently subjective. It could be useful to checking out some titles you might have missed though. The comment section might have some interesting propositions too.

barghwata

Savant

The games you just listed are the best of the best when it comes to combat and are very much an exception, the truth is most RPGs have shit combat and the genre as a whole is pretty fucking weak when it comes to combat systems. Say what you will about DOS, it has shit writing, it's a fag's game etc... and i will agree with you since i don't like the game myself but you still have to admit that it is one of the very few RPGs out there with anything even resembling "decent" combat despite all of its flaws.

As for DOS2's combat system, i wouldn't know since i never played the game but i heard people saying that it's shit in comparison to DOS1, is that true?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

The games you just listed are the best of the best when it comes to combat and are very much an exception, the truth is most RPGs have shit combat and the genre as a whole is pretty fucking weak when it comes to combat systems. Say what you will about DOS, it has shit writing, it's a fag's game etc... and i will agree with you since i don't like the game myself but you still have to admit that it is one of the very few RPGs out there with anything even resembling "decent" combat despite all of its flaws.

As for DOS2's combat system, i wouldn't know since i never played the game but i heard people saying that it's shit in comparison to DOS1, is that true?

It solves problems of DOS1 combat only to introduce its own.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Let's make this distinction clear cause people here seem to be very confused. If you rate a game with absolutely dysfunctional combat like planescape or vampire the masquerade over games like DOS2, you do so for 100% storyfag reasons by definition.

Wrong. Because PS:T combat is better than DOS2 combat.

PS:T has more interesting enemies, more interesting itemization, and more interesting companions as they pertain to combat.

Also, it is based on a far superior ruleset and engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom