Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conglomerate 451 - procedurally generated cyberpunk dungeon crawler

it's not bad, it definitely isn't, but it's doooooooooooomed to be repetitive fast.

Jinn

Arcane
Someone thought procedural generation was a great idea again.

Take the time you put into designing your procedural generation into actually crafting your game, and it won't become a repetitive slog. It blows my mind time and time again that people who are supposed to understand game design come to the conclusion that this is an acceptable way to create an RPG.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Take the time you put into designing your procedural generation into actually crafting your game, and it won't become a repetitive slog. It blows my mind time and time again that people who are supposed to understand game design come to the conclusion that this is an acceptable way to create an RPG.

There are games where it works. Never seen it work in a blobber though

Jinn

Arcane

Yeah, I agree. I shouldn't have generalized that much. True Rogue-likes make good use of procedural generation, like Caves of Qud and Tales of Maj'Eyal. Too many games with great premises go down this route when it just isn't suitable to the other content. It's a fad that needs to die.

laclongquan

Arcane

Remind me which games it work?!! The name does flit over my minds but I cant quite catch it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Remind me which games it work?!! The name does flit over my minds but I cant quite catch it.

4x and other types of strategy/tactical games with procedural generation

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Two basic necessary rules (not sufficient) to make procedural generation work:
  1. Use fixed random seeds
  2. Don't tell anyone you are using a procedural generation algorithm.

bored after 5-6 missions :| a random event gave me a huge boost and let me unlock all the classes almost right away, so i could find out early that they're all uninteresting or of too limited use in a 3 men squad. a real shame, just looking at all the customizations available got me drooling, but the core gameplay is too lacking to hold my interest.

laclongquan

Arcane

So none?

Codex Year of the Donut

maybe you've heard of this relatively popular game called diablo 2

Silentstorm

Learned

Yeah, I agree. I shouldn't have generalized that much. True Rogue-likes make good use of procedural generation, like Caves of Qud and Tales of Maj'Eyal. Too many games with great premises go down this route when it just isn't suitable to the other content. It's a fad that needs to die.
Well, some popular and loved games are randomly generated, Darkest Dungeons, Binding Of Isaac, Enter The Gungeon, Spelunky and Slay The Spire to mention a few, so i can see why some developers go for it, also, the idea that not repeating the same areas again and again means that there is more replay value.

Except, a lot of the time the algorithms tend to be so crappy that levels are generally pretty bad or the gameplay is one that gets old fast, particularly if you go with the standard of starting out with few options and maybe weak and having to play the game a lot to unlock everything.

It can work, there are some good games like it, but there are also a shit ton of them and people don't seem to realize you must make your game actually good and fun to play, hopefully with something unique to it, and even then it may not sell.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Most likely a bunch of autistic programmers thinking that other people are like them.

agris

Arcane
Patron

So none?
Diablo 1, Daggerfall and FTL come to mind quite easily, although such a short list may validate your assertion.

Codex Year of the Donut

So none?
Diablo 1, Daggerfall and FTL come to mind quite easily, although such a short list may validate your assertion.
the best selling video game of all time uses procedural generation

Serus

Arcane
Patron

So none?
How are 4x "none" ?
As to other examples - roguelikes.
One has also need to remember that "procedural generation" is not the same as "everything and his dog" must be procedural in a given game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
rusty_shackleford Ok, but it's a bit disingenuous to use 'best selling' as a proxy for good, which I think is laclongquan's point. (edit: that good games don't use it, which I disagree with).

I remember reading in Wolfram's a new science that his evolutionary-inspired algorithms ("constructive generation") were used for procedural level generation in an old 2D game, maybe a metroidvania, but a quick google search doesn't turn up which game it was. Any idea?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Diablo levels are shit. In Daggerfall the procedural levels are just a filler, so they were accettable. I haven't played FTL.

However, one of the best uses of procedural generation has been done in Frontier (Elite 2) to fit a whole explorable galaxy in a 720k floppy disk. A galaxy that make sense, from actual astronomical data and observations, with real physics. Not that space theme park for retarded kids that is No Man Sky.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
MadMaxHellfire I’m not very familiar with the classic rogue likes, but I’ll take your word for it.

Nifft Batuff what did you dislike so much about Diablo 1’s maps? Or did you just dislike Diablo 1 as a whole? I thought the procgen dungeons were some of the best I’ve ever played, and the random inclusion of hand made content was a nice addition to make runs feel more unique. Halls of the Dead, Skeleton King, Icarus lair, the well, etc etc.

as you say, DF’s dungeons fulfilled their purpose, which is supporting a good game. I think that’s another successful example of procgen levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom