Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So this thing actually turned out decent? Hive mind opinion please!

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Buahahahahahaha fuck me sideways,i just noticed,AOE2 went full on faggot :).

ADNUIF2.png

updated my gulash.txt

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been watching a few gameplay videos lately and it does indeed look very good, it's almost like this is actually a remaster. AoE1: DE also looks very good tbh and I've read they've fixed most of the egregious bugs by now, and they are still working on it. I'm almost tempted to buy them (on a sale), but I have to test whether they'll work on my PC first, I'm not downgrading to Win10 just for them and break pretty much all my other games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've been watching a few gameplay videos lately and it does indeed look very good, it's almost like this is actually a remaster. AoE1: DE also looks very good tbh and I've read they've fixed most of the egregious bugs by now, and they are still working on it. I'm almost tempted to buy them (on a sale), but I have to test whether they'll work on my PC first, I'm not downgrading to Win10 just for them and break pretty much all my other games.
AoE2 works on win7,for the first i don't know.

EDIT:At least on release,now that is patched i don't know,microcunts could be petty cunts and patched this out. Still the zamunda version should be running fine.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
There's not much of a difference with the original, except YOU CAN QUEUE FARMS

It is a revolution.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Well, you could *queue* farms before, what you can do now is have them automatically reseed, without needing to queue them (which costs wood ahead of time). As I'm sure you know anyway, just clarifying for the benefit of others.
Also, monks seem to've been stealth buffed, and are converting faster.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Oh, there is much, much more qol stuff than just farms. The ability to see exact number of villager assignments at all times is mindblowing, then there's overall queue for everything including upgrades and a lot of noob-friendly stuff for newcomers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are some changes to the campaigns between AoE1 and AoE1: DE. It turns out I have the original AoE1 installed on my PC for some reason and I started playing that. The second-to-last mission of the tutorial is pretty brutal. You start with 5 villagers, no army, and almost no resources, but the enemy attacks you relentlessly in like the first 2 minutes with swordsmen and catapults. I had to restart the mission three times to get a hang of what I can actually do to survive. I'm playing on Hard, though, so that might influence how big the army is. I watched a let's play of this mission in DE and it's changed significantly. You start with 5-6 units and 2 already-built towers, and the AI doesn't rush you with an army and catapults, only ships that get destroyed by the conveniently placed towers. The difficulty curve in original is pretty brutal, but it does make you wake up and not dilly-dally, so the DE is decline on that front.

catfood

AGAIN
AOE 1 is a very hard game. Anything else above moderate and you need chink level micro skills. Hell, even moderate is more challenging than most strategy games out there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The AI also has quite good micro, especially with archers, but it doesn't prioritize its targets very well, so that's easily exploitable on the harder difficulties.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The first game did have a very shit difficulty,it was really cheating a like a progressive wife on a blackpride after party.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nobody replied to that comment in 5 days, nobody is butthurt lmao.

As for AoE 1, I tried to compare the original with the DE in terms of campaign, but nobody on YouTube is man enough to play on something other than normal difficulty. The tutorial is definitely changed, it's not even close. There is also a distinct absence of discussion on forums about it.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Do people even play it when AoE2 HD is available? Game being dead is pretty understandable, 2 makes it obsolete.

When the remaster came out originally I remember watching a stream of some asian guy and the ai was generally very passive compared to the original. I bought it on steam, but didn't really play it yet so don't have any comments on whether it was patched or working as intended.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There have been a lot of patches lately, the last one was like a month ago, and the AI is better. As for it being dead because of AoE2, not really, there are a lot of people playing the original on GameRanger, and there are some games on HD since they introduced an Elo rating system. I'm more interested in the campaigns, though.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Same, I just want to play the campaigns. AoE2 never managed to click with me in the way AoE1 did, and I've always preferred the time period, art style, and music of AoE1.

First thing I'd do after downloading AoE1: DE is install a mod to restore the original music because fuck that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The soundtrack is indeed something special, I've had it playing on loop in my head since I've started playing a week ago. I heard the remastered version, but eeeeehhhhh.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So Lacrymas did you try it out on win7? The second game is better in every aspect except whololooo,but still it is a nice game to replay once a decade.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I haven't tried it because I have to set up a VPN here to ...demo it. I'll try it when (if) I go to Bulgaria.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom