Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
They added a mode where you start in Feudal Age with a bunch of building and villagers already tasked to gather resources.

MASSIVE incline because build orders suck and so does the entire Dark Age.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL they made Aleric in to a downtrodden hero that wanted only peace and a fighter for justice while the romans in to evil racists :lol::lol::lol::lol:
You've never played the Saladin campaign, have you?
I have played it on the original game,it is not that bad,after all he is defending his lands. Here we have a german barbarian sacking rome while pretending to be a poor victim. Also in the original alaric campaign was not like that. They decided to remake all of those campaigns and even fucked up a few good missions.

Endemic

Arcane

Yes, the one where in the Horns of Hattin scenario, the captured knight comments on the Saracens' cruelty. Then, later in the campaign, observes how much more warlike their culture has become. Ensemble didn't follow history 1:1 but they didn't sugarcoat things either, to my recollection.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Then, later in the campaign, observes how much more warlike their culture has become.
Islamic cultures have always been warlike. There were no innocents in an 8-crusade long holy war between two major world religions. Blaming one side or the other exclusively is garbage.
Ensemble didn't follow history 1:1 but they didn't sugarcoat things either, to my recollection.
Their Aztec campaign is a fucking wreck, historically speaking. They absolutely did sugercoat, read any of Sandy Peterson's rather self-righteous devblog entries of the time period.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
LoL they made Aleric in to a downtrodden hero that wanted only peace and a fighter for justice while the romans in to evil racists :lol::lol::lol::lol:
I have played it on the original game,it is not that bad,after all he is defending his lands. Here we have a german barbarian sacking rome while pretending to be a poor victim. Also in the original alaric campaign was not like that. They decided to remake all of those campaigns and even fucked up a few good missions.

How was Jerusalem "his land" to a Kurdo-Turkic warlord?

AFAIK, even the rural population (least subjected to crusader displacement) was majority Christian before the establishment of Kingdom of Jerusalem.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

AFAIK, even the rural population (least subjected to crusader displacement) was majority Christian before the establishment of Kingdom of Jerusalem.
Yes it was part of the abbasid caliphate before the crusaders conquered it. Then he kick them out and formed the Ayyubid sultanate.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Yes it was part of the abbasid caliphate before the crusaders conquered it. Then he kick them out and formed the Ayyubid sultanate.

No, it wasn't a part of the Abbasid caliphate. Abbasids lost control over the area several centuries prior. The Crusaders wrested Jerusalem from the Shia Fatymids, who have just conqered it themselves after kicking out the Seljuks.

Still, Saladin wasn't an Abbasid and had shit to do with them aside from being a Muslim.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
After playing this for a while I have to say this is the best re-release of an old game I've ever seen, by quite a distance. Looks really good, runs butter smooth (I actually played it on a laptop and no frame rate drops whatsoever, but it was just standard full hd res, as the augmented dlc seems to matter for bigger screens only) and has some really nice qol stuff. It takes a while to boot and load maps, but this is some weird trend in strategy games now as Planetfall, nu-civ, TW or Endless games all run really smooth, but boot and load like crap.

Don't really have any comments on faction rebalancing, didn't notice anything outrageous.

Btw, does anyone know if they finally fixed camels, so they aren't classified as boats? Didn't have the chance to test it yet.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/2019-winter-celebration/

Seasons greetings Age fans!

In addition to the first major update to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, we’ve also dropped a new mod for the game: the 2019 Winter Celebration!

As a thank you for joining us for our game’s journey thus far, we’ve added some festive touches to the game. Download the mod for free and enjoy:
  • Snow covered trees
  • Patches of snow on all non-water terrain
  • Piles of presents in place of forage/fruit bushes
  • Piles of presents underneath Town Centres
  • Icicles replace normal sized arrows
  • Candy canes replace spears from skirmishers and genitours
  • Presents replace Trebuchet projectiles
  • Snowballs replace cannonballs for bombard cannons, cannon galleons and bombard towers
  • Snowflakes replace projectiles for Mangonel/Onager/Siege units

The mod will be available for free download until we update the game in January (the exact date will be confirmed in the new year) but will then disappear. However, once you have the mod, you’ll be able to switch it on whenever you want a touch of festivity—no matter what time of year!

—The Age of Empires Team

Cael

Arcane
1. They should make two-handed swordsmen and champions wield candy canes. The swing animation is perfect for that.
2. After researching chemistry, the fiery icicles or snowballs would be hilarious.
3. Who put the acid in the punch down in game dev HQ?

Last edited by a moderator:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Bought this, tried doing the art of war tutorials, got a silver medal for the early economy one after a dozen tries of going for gold. How the fuck do people do this shit on a consistent basis?

Perkel

Arcane
heh there is nothing better than playing cockroach strategy. BTW gamepass is for 1$ for 3 months right now which includes plethora of game and AOE2HD

sssssss.jpg

Doktor Best

Arcane
Been dipping into the game the last few days.

Man this game must be the most stressfull game ever created, at least in my book. The amount of multitasking in castle/imperial age is ungodly. I barely beat the moderate AI(Definitive version) now.

Yes i'm bad at the game. But having a great time nonetheless.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In random maps the AI, starting from moderate, is really decent, although pretty easy to rush.

In campaigns, it depends. I don't know exactly how it works, but in some scenarios it's really passive regardless of the difficulty, but in others it's just relentless. Still, playing the campaigns on the highest difficulty level is a genuine challenge.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Got special summer sale 365 days a year -100% edition and I must say I'm considering actually getting non-sale one. I think I suck a lot at it but it's fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom