Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great Old Games

Surlent

Liturgist
Well those games were classics based on my opinion.
Unlike Volourn's, my opinion is not factual.

Some could comment Hexen and Lost Vikings2 as well compared to Doom/Heretic and Lemmings.To me they are however classics-

Jed

Cipher
Yeah, I dunno. My intention for this thread was for the ABOSULTE BEST MUST PLAY OF ALL TIMES GAMES. Like, top three of each genre. IWD, while fun for a while, just ain't a must-play. Nope.

Whipporowill

Erudite
This list, is based on what I've played and enjoyed the most. Nothing else.

FPS:
AVP2
HL2
Ultima Underworld I & II

RPG:
Fallout I & II
Arcanum
Ultima VI & VII's
Gothic I & II

ADV:
the Dig
Loom
Grim Fandango
Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

(there's too many "classics" in this genre to be mentioned)

STRAT:
Master of Magic
Master of Orion II
Age of Wonders series (Shadow Magic is the best, as it's the latest)
Syndicate

Hawkwing74

Liturgist
If I had only three they would be:
Wasteland
Civilization 2
Final Fantasy VII

at the moment anyway

Talorc

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Icewind Dale is a classic?

Ooookaaay.

Hell yeah its a classic - I enjoyed it more than the original BG. (Which I only 85% finished)

I almost cried when I installed Heart of Winter and all the original IWD avatars got replaced by the lesser BG ones :cry: Would have been nice if Interplay took pride in the Art assets they had developed, and expanded them as required, rather than go the cheap way and recycle the Bioware stuff.

Rurik Halverstaff, my Grand Master Axe wielding Dwarf just never looked as mean and deadly ever again...

Sure its not as "deep" story wise as the BG series, but it is a damn fine dungeon crawler.

Again, I wont rehash others suggestions, but some other standouts

RPG Classics:
The Magic Candle (unlike some other older RPGs, still great fun today IMHO)

RTS / Strategy:
Kohan Immortal Sovereigns
Heroes of Might & Magic III series (Ive seen this as a box with everything real cheap)
Stronghold

Adventure / RPG:
Return to Krondor. (Yes, its basically on rails. But it is good story)

crufty

Arcane
QQP's conquered kingdoms was fun for its time. As was Escape From Hell, Battletech - Crescent's Hawks Revenge and a few others. But those are fairly old school. Mechwarrior 2 was pretty fun as well.

As already mentioned, you can't go wrong with Nethack, ADOM, and Zangband. If you can find it, give Continuum a shot. That was one of the most unique games I've ever played -- you play a craft that bounces off trampoline squares through groupings of levels, with each grouping representing an emotion. You can't really die, and there didn't seem to be any point beyond exploring the levels.

For killing time on a island, might as well include NWN, Morrowind, Doom3 and Quake I.

trystero

Novice

Have to throw in for Sword of Aragon - one of the best fantasy strategy games I've played to date.

- trystero

almondblight

Arcane
I can't believe no one's mentioned Realmz, it seems like all the old school/open ended RPG lovers would really like that game. After checking out a bunch of goldbox games (I may actually play all the way through one if I ever get enough time) I decided to download it again, and am really enjoying it, even if its age is showing. I've been playing for 45 minutes and haven't hit combat yet, mostly doing different deeds around town. I tried to get a boys dog out of a well, but didn't rope beforehand, and slipped and fell in. Fortunately, a member of my party was agile enough to scale the walls, and managed to find a rope ladder so I could get out. Then I went to the bar and talked to an orc, who was assasinated in front of me. My low level characters tried to chase after the assailants, but were too weak, and just ended up getting hurt (as well as my clusmy fighter pricking himself on a poison pin when he was searching the body). Not a perfect game, but definatley worth checking out.

almondblight

Arcane
It came out for the PC a while ago. But yeah, I guess the popularity on this side would be quite a bit higher (any old school Mac RPGer will list it among the classics, along with Escape Velocity and the Spiderweb games), I'm not sure what kind of reception it got on the PC side.

Oh yeah, I just found a dying orc mother giving birth in the wilderness. Not sure what will come of it, but I'm carrying around the baby now.

TFVanguard

Liturgist
First Person Shooter:
Wolfenstien
Ultima Underworld

Role-Playing:
Pool of Radiance
Fallout
Baldur's Gate
Ultima IV - VI

Adventure (I do miss this genre):
King's Quest I - III
Space Quest I - III
Indiana Jones, Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island
Star Trek 25th Anniversary

Strategy:
Civilization II Gold
Master of Magic
Master of Orion II
Syndicate
Jagged Alliance II

Ausir

Arcane
How about Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, which plays more or less like the Master of Orion games?

roguefrog

Liturgist
My essentials:

RPG:
Planescape: Torment
Fallout
Baldur's Gate
Anachronox

RTS:
Total Annihilation
Red Alert
Homeworld
MechCommander
Myth

TBS:
Jagged Alliance 2
X-Com
Heroes III

FPS:
Deus Ex
Half-life
Operation Flashpoint
Thief
System Shock 2 (Haven't played SS1 either. I suck)

Misc:
Max Payne
Freedom Force
Grim Fandango

Rayt

Liturgist
xJEDx said:
Obviously we have:

Fallout
Jagged Alliance 2
Wasteland &
X-Com: UFO Defense, for starters.

What other Must Plays are there?

I played these games to death when I was in highschool:

Syndicate (which amazingly enough still looks pretty good), Lands Of Lore, Dune 2, Privateer, Day Of The Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Crusader: No Regret (better than the original in my opinion). Oh, and Strike Comander, which was an odd mix of flight sim, arcade shooter and soap opera but a lot of fun.

Though Dune 2 is kinda shit compared to newer games like Starcraft. So maybe it's not really a classic, though it did pretty much define the modern strategy game.

Speaking of classic games, has anyone ever played the Origin game called Bioforge? It looked extremely awesome when I read a review of it, but back then I lacked a computer powerfull enough to play it, so I never bought it. And nowadays I can't find it anywhere, so I'm wondering if I missed out on something brilliant.

Bioforge was buttfuck difficulty and the combat system was clunky and slow. Other than that it was a decent enough game. Won't run properly on any modern machine gets heavily speeded up, you might try dosbox if you find a copy.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Here's my list. I've graded it from what I like the most at the top.

FPS/3PS
Deus Ex
MechWarrior II: Mercenaries
MechWarrior IV: Mercenaries
Max Payne
Max Payne II

RPG
Diablo
Diablo II & Throne of Destruction
Fallout
Anachronox
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate / Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate 2 / TOB
Ultima 7 Part 1
Ultima 7 Part 2
ChronoTrigger
Prince of Qin
Divine Divinity
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Action
Crusader: No Remorse
Crusader: No Regret
Freespace II
I-War II: Edge of Chaos
Gods
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Tyrian
Raptor
Duke Nukem
Commander Keen series
BioMenace
Jill of the Jungle
Lost Vikings
Lost Vikings: Norse by Norsewest

Strategy
Master of Magic
Master of Orion II
Syndicate
Syndicate Wars
Civilization
Colonization
Total Annihilation
Warzone 2100
X-Com Enemy Unknown
X-Com Terror from the Deep
Jagged Alliance 2
Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper II
Dune II
Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness
Starcraft
Heroes of Might and Magic 1 - 3
Disciples II
FFT Advance
Panzer General
Medieval Total War & Viking Invasion
Myth
Myth II: Soulblighter
Lemmings

Simulation
Theme Park
Theme Hospital
SimCity 2000
SimCity 4000 & Expansion

Adventure
Kyrandia series (3 of the absolutely the best adventure games ever made, all by Westwood)
Day of the Tentacle
Monkey Island 1-3
Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail
Full Throttle
Simon the Sorcerer series

I can't comment on Final Fantasy games as I haven't played them aside from FFTA.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Kyrandia, meh... its developers might have been the first to introduce the notion of basing the supposedly ADVENTURE game (I mean like Fate of Atlantis etc) on finding 65535 different coloured gems. Booring as hell.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I liked the Kyrandia games, but the first one was a bit meh because of the huge labyrinth thing and also because if you don't take certain items with you in the start, you might get screwed somewhere closer to the end, unable to finish the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom