Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Lords release date

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Guild Wars is kind of like an MMORPG that focuses more on party based stuff. So, most of the time, there won't be thousands of people camping on a hillside waiting for critter X to respawn so you can all complete for it's experience. The only place you'll see a lot of people are in the towns, and even those are instanced so you won't see thousands of people - just maybe fifty or so. The missions, though, you'll only see at most four or six depending on what size party they allow.

There's a catch though. Depending on how things have changed since the last beta I played, some of those missions really suck. The upside to that is that you don't absolutely have to do the missions. Instead, you can walk from town to town and do sidequests and other things(kill critters along the way) for experience.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah you don't have to do the missions if you don't want to, though they did tweak the game quite a bit since you've played, Saint. The missions are much easier (AI on that Rurik guy is improved), the subquests are fully implemented, and they've implemented big wilderness areas in between most of the quests that you absolutely have to go through instead of being dropped at the next spot. I figure that they will probably implement wilderness areas in between each and every quest.

You can just go straight into the exploration if you don't want to do the quests, and if you reach Ascalon you can go straight to the PVP stuff. It's likely that you'll be missing out on quite a bit of content if you don't do the quests, though. At the end of the last beta weekend we had to do a 'defend the ship' quest, after it was complete we went to a new continent, though that wasn't implemented at the time. It will be interesting to see if they've put that in the next BWE.

Astromarine

Erudite
there is no server split, at least at the moment. It's all instanced, which means that latency won't be bad. Even the cities are divided in "districts" with 50 or so people in each

Really, this game shares the honor, with EVE and ATITD, of being the only games in the MM field to actually manage to break out of the usual formulas. I've been playing AO for free, and there is very very little in the two experiences that can be compared, IMHO

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I dont think there will be a server split when the game goes retail, either. It's more likely that they will divide the districts up based on geography. So, just imagine an Ascalon USA 1 and an Ascalon Australia 1. It'll be a lot easier to find people from your own time zone/locale that way, though it'll certainly still be possible to play with people from other countries by going to their zone.

Reklar

Liturgist
It was billed as a MMORPG by most gaming news services last year, but as Exitium pointed out, it's not really one except for the fact that it shares a similar audience and server farm type setup. It looks okay to me, but I don't plan on buying it because it's still going to be a time sink, even if it's not a MMORPG.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Elwro said:
And tell us if it does. I also have fond memories of that game :D

Installed it, applied the 1.22 patch, fired it up. It read my disc drive and then asked me to enter disc two, which was in there. I ejected the disc, and then put it back in once again. This worked and Revenant fired up. Other than that minor problem, it worked fine.

I'd have to get a good ways into the game before I could give you any news on stability issues or whatnot. I played to the caves though with no problems. And that was a very nice change. So, if anything, playing it on XP has made it more stable than it was. Go figure. :P

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Reklar said:
It was billed as a MMORPG by most gaming news services last year, but as Exitium pointed out, it's not really one except for the fact that it shares a similar audience and server farm type setup. It looks okay to me, but I don't plan on buying it because it's still going to be a time sink, even if it's not a MMORPG.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

It's not a time sink. You can create a ready made character for PVP combat.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks for the info, Otaku :D I've completed Gothic 2 today (very fun game, but a weak ending imo) so I'm looking for something else to play... I guess I'll try Wizards & Warriors first, cause I got it free with a magazine and it has waited on my shelf for so long...

Digit

Liturgist
Hey Otaku, did you run Revenant on XP? I have a 2K machine, and bought it ages ago, then couldn't get it to work because of this weird pause that occurs only on Win 2K. Its unplayable like that, I tried hunting for a solution for some time, but then other things came up and I forgot it. However now would be an ace time to give it a go, as there is a lack of that style of game. Any ideas on how to solve the weird 3 second pause I get every few moments?

Digit

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I installed Revenant a few days ago and it runs fine on XP. Well, I had one CTD after an hour of playing but that's pretty much how it used to run before :)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Elwro said:
I guess I'll try Wizards & Warriors first, cause I got it free with a magazine and it has waited on my shelf for so long...

Stooooop! You're gonna make me cry! I can't find that game anywhere and I wanna plaaaaaaaay! Waaaaaaaah!

cry.gif

@Digit: Apparently that problem is solved when you patch the game with the last patch released. Did you do that? Sorry, have to ask.

@VD: Yeah, Revenant was notorious for CTDs. Especially in the middle of combat. I made it all the way to the caves without a single CTD though, so I was pretty pleased.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Interesting. I remember playing a rip of Revenant back in the day on my Win98 machine without a single glitch or crash.

Maybe it had something to do with the CD protection?

Digit

Liturgist
Yeah just my luck the problem only occurs on Win2K. Yay! -_-. My housemate played it on his Win 98 PC when I originally bought it.

Yeah I have the 1.22 patch. I checked with Eidos too, but lets be honest, they aren't exactly good on the tech support. You think its the copy protection? Am I gonna have to pirate this game to play?

Digit

Screaming_life

Liturgist
all the deliberation ends the minute you close your status screen. In the spirit of games like Diablo and Dungeon Siege, the game is all about immediate gratification.

Why do they think this is a good thing? :?

I really do hope this game is good... co-op should be good at least.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Digit said:
Yeah I have the 1.22 patch. I checked with Eidos too, but lets be honest, they aren't exactly good on the tech support. You think its the copy protection? Am I gonna have to pirate this game to play?

Eidos has always been shit about support. Even when it came to the Tomb Raider games which was their biggest franchise back "in the day" as it were. As for the copy protection thing, you might have to burn an image. Heh. Someone may have to pirate a game to be able to play it. Classic.

Anyways, hope you can get it working. Fun game.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Someone may have to pirate a game to be able to play it. Classic.

Yeah, I've had to do that to a couple of games to be able to play them. Kinda sux, after actually buying them instead of just downloading like some freeloaders I know.

Even Deus EX: IW (yeah I know, everyone here hates it :wink: ). I had to use a no-cd crack to beat the copy protection to stop repeated CTDs.

Sometimes makes me wonder why I bother even trying to be legit, ya know?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom