Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2017 - The year of (TB) Squad Tactics

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
based on their own patch log, it sounds like they rushed the release. it's a shame, becaue E:C was great.

Yup.

Just posted this in the release thread:

So after playing a couple more hours, now that the initial honeymoon is over the game doesn't seem so good anymore. It feels like I payed to beta test and some gameplay stuff is just tedious. I don't know how many scripted battles I have had now that started with me losing one or two guys because the combat starts in "enemy turn". Bowmen focus fire down healers and everything else, then you have to spend several days outside a city to heal. For some reason, at least not what I have noticed you can't pay a priest or something to heal your men. It's just tedious stuff. Had a strange encounter too. Got ambushed in a house, killed the ambushers, started to loot stuff. Noticed that I was stealing. Thought, well they attacked me and they are dead now so this is my right. But every time I looted something I lost reputation with the city... Why? Looting is also painful, the camera is damn annoying and trying to navigate the map is disorienting. I don't know man...

Conquistadors was so good.

Started pretty good, but the game feels so damn undercooked.

Zetor

Arcane
Alvora Tactics (sequel to Codex-indie-darling-that-nobody-played Voidspire Tactics) is now available, though only on itch.io for now -- Steam release will happen after it's greenlit. The $10 pricepoint is also much lower than Voidspire's $15.

Mini-review: it's quite good, and the combat especially is superior to the original (6 party members instead of 4, more classes, better-balanced abilities and stats). However, the game has much less exploration (it's still there, mainly in the form of environmental puzzles), the story/dialogues are heavy on fourth-wall-breaking silliness, and many of the encounters / maps are at least partially randomly generated... otoh this also gives it a lot of replayability. It also has an ironman mode now!

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heroes of Steel says release date 2014.

And Low Magic Age has no set release date, from what I can see anyway.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Apparently Heroes of Steel isn't story complete yet.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/heroes-of-steel-fantasy-rpg/posts/1866192
Apr 22 2017

Episode 4 Story Update

1 like
af86ad3542dba02518963419d6ccaff0_original.png

Heroes and Backers,

It has been an honor to work with and for all of you. Over the last few years, we've built a massive tactical RPG and delivered on every one of our KickStarter goals but the very last one -- finishing the story. We've learned a lot about scoping a game properly through this experience, but we are dedicated to giving Heroes of Steel the ending it deserves.

On that path, we are excited today to release the penultimate story update for Episode 4. This update moves the story forward in a lot of really big ways and gives the Chosen of Death a new perspective on what is "behind the curtain" of the Gods. You'll be on the hook to make some major choices as well, ones that will effect the world for centuries to follow.

This story update adds 12 new dungeons, 15 new monster types, over 120 lootable weapons, armors and gear as well as Legendary Items for Kyera and a refresher item for Vincent.

We hope you have all enjoyed playing Heroes of Steel, and now our attention turns toward the final story update. One last dungeon romp to the end! Here we go!

Thanks for your support,

Andrew and Cory Trese

Trese Brothers Games

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Yeah, not sure what is going on there though. They were supposed to release an alpha or something like that, but nada.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Age of fear 3 : The legend is coming soon. From updates on Steam :
Current AOF3 build it final. It has all assets, sounds and story. Feedback from beta testers is very positive too.[...]We are just making video trailer now - it's necessary for releasing game on Steam.
We aim to release just after Summer Sale.
With a trailer including live action again :incline: :

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you play any of the Age of fear CryptRat ? They keep popping up in my Steam frontpage but they always struck as kind of... Steam shovelware to be honest

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've played one campaign from the first game (each game contains two campaigns) and it was good, with well crafted battles and fairly decent AI, some nice customization and unit upgrades, some story choices leading to different battles and a cool evil story.
Besides the 4 campaigns seem to be very disctinct from each other (undeads, humans, orcs and demons) and the developpers are very cool and are constantly updating the games.
I've bought the two games after playing a demo of the second one, I guess it's still available somewhere, just judge by yourself.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

http://burdenofcommand.com/

edit.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/30/the-flare-path-burden-of-command/

edit.
Project Lead Luke Hughes is keen to stress that there are no ‘right’ answers on the BoC battlefield and that issuing an order is not the same thing as executing an action. When I asked him to explain how the game will go about modelling the chaos of war, he said this:

“The game is designed such that everything that happens in BoC happens on a probability curve. Which is a fancy way of saying that while normally for any given ‘event’ (firing an MG, giving an order, rallying the men, making a move or an interactive fiction decision, etc.) what you expect to happen happens, the dice are always being rolled for a disaster (e.g., the gun jams, the men panic, an order gets lost) or an unexpected success (critical hit, a squad auto rallies…). Further, as a battle progresses and the natural friction of war occurs through suppression and injury, command and control will start to break down. That is, suppressed units will tend to ignore orders, or not receive them, or implement them only minimally (crawl towards the MG rather than run).

Put one last way, while in a typical tactical game like XCOM we’re all used to the chance to hit being probabilistic, in BoC even the chance to follow an order is probabilistic. In the face of this pervasive chaos it is the leaders who play a critical role in overcoming the chaos and turning your intentions into actions. Chaos is central to the battlefield and BoC, and leadership is its central anecdote.The good news about chaos is that it tends to create good stories (‘There I was all my units suppressed, no hope, then out of the blue Lt Stern stood up in the face of fire, rallied his men and overcame the enemy position. Sadly he was wounded in the final assault.”)”

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom