Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
f27mo.jpg

Utterly disgusting. Beneath contempt and beyond forgiveness.

Double Kill! Points popping out of Xenomorph heads when you shoot them! This is supposed to be horror?
I THINK it's supposed to be multiplayer.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Confirmed: Gearbox cannot into making shooters with suspension and slower pacing

http://www.gamestar.de/videos/previews,18/aliens-colonial-marines,68440.html

Translation:

Cons: Very linear, plenty of action, almost zero survival horror, Aliens are too weak, uninspired leveldesign, cheap scriped events
Pros: Multiplayer could be good

Fuck that shit. First they had to fuck up BioCock Infinite, now this.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I know it will be shit, but I will probably get it day 1.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Confirmed: Gearbox cannot into making shooters with suspension and slower pacing

I never got the impression this was supposed to be full of suspension or slow paced. The movie was neither, why should the game? The problem is that from what i've seen it sucks at being a fast paced action FPS as well. Just another banal/shit/boring Call of Dooty clone except in space.

Psquit

Arcane
hmmm, aliens arent supposed to be faster than a bullet but i dont know why they are slower than your average human...
plus the game feels slower than half life 1.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yup. Fluffy Alien Syndrome. For proper alien experience please go to first two installment of Alien vs Predator games. Especially the first one is fluffy free.

Psquit

Arcane
Yup. Fluffy Alien Syndrome. For proper alien experience please go to first two installment of Alien vs Predator games. Especially the first one is fluffy free.

yeah, i played both of them a long time ago. Those aliens back then were deadly and fricking fast.

i dont know if they are supposed to be that fast...

Misconnected

Savant
I think they got faster from movie to movie.

Sort of. But their speed in both games and films fit the original mythology. The Alien in the first film moved around slowly on screen partially because of technical limitations, but mostly because the point was to portray it as a kind of inevitable doom. If you check out the scenes where the Nostromo crew is tracking it as a blip in the airducts, you'll see it move around impossibly quickly.

The first AvP got it almost exactly right, I think. My only reservation is that they're single-minded to the point of being self-destructive - which absolutely doesn't fit with the original mythology. But then again, them being like ants, complete with a queen & shit, also doesn't fit at all with the original mythology. The implication throughout the original film is that their level of intelligence isn't known, but that it is likely human-equivalent. And of course, they turn their victims into eggs after scooping out the brainy goodness.

- Don't get me wrong, I like the second film a lot. But... Honestly, I liked the original mythology a hell of a lot more. Aliens is one of those weird flukes that almost never happen, where a sequel simultaneously destroys a fuckton of the really great bits of the original, but yet somehow still manages to be an outstanding film.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

AvP2 I got no problem with. I played it again a couple of years ago and though I had fun I found that it aged badly and was more silly than scary. But the first one … Noooooo! :(

I think they got faster from movie to movie.

Sort of. But their speed in both games and films fit the original mythology. The Alien in the first film moved around slowly on screen partially because of technical limitations, but mostly because the point was to portray it as a kind of inevitable doom. If you check out the scenes where the Nostromo crew is tracking it as a blip in the airducts, you'll see it move around impossibly quickly.

Though when it kills people like Brett or especially Parker and Lambert, it moves very slowly and even sits in the middle of the room to toy with them, which is very eerie.

- Don't get me wrong, I like the second film a lot. But... Honestly, I liked the original mythology a hell of a lot more. Aliens is one of those weird flukes that almost never happen, where a sequel simultaneously destroys a fuckton of the really great bits of the original, but yet somehow still manages to be an outstanding film.

Most of the "mythology" in the first movie comes from extra-diegetic sources. The portrayal of the creature is more eerie though and charged with symbols. Aliens simply takes what is shown in Alien and does something different with it and in another direction, with great success too. Alien is still the same movie it was before Aliens came out.

Misconnected

Savant
Though when it kills people like Brett or especially Parker and Lambert, it moves very slowly and even sits in the middle of the room to toy with them, which is very eerie.

The dread is almost all of the reason for pacing when the Alien is actually on screen. And yeah, it works extremely well.

Most of the "mythology" in the first movie comes from extra-diegetic sources. The portrayal of the creature is more eerie though and charged with symbols. Aliens simply takes what is shown in Alien and does something different with it and in another direction, with great success too. Alien is still the same movie it was before Aliens came out.

You're entirely right about all of that. In no particular order: if the original film hadn't been so charged with sexual symbolism, I very much doubt it would have made the kind of impression on me that it did, or that it'd still be my favourite film of all time. If I hadn't been a massive HR Giger fanboy, I probably wouldn't have known how drastically the second film changed the mythology, before I actually saw the second film. And if the second film had outright contradicted something in the original cut of the first film, I would probably have been too busy nerd raeging over it to ever appreciate the second film.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't think anybody will ever be able to replicate the Alien's true nature in a video game, or capture the essence of the first movie in a game, because video game AIs are all inherently about poo-poo-peng-peng. I.e. cannon fodder.

While Alien was eerie, AvP 1 was hectic and confusing. Both achieved the same goal, albeit for different reasons: They put stress onto the viever/player.

Gearbox, from what I've seen so far, cannot into both, and therefor this game will fail (at least for Alien fans).

Sodafish

Arcane
Apart from the graphics and art direction that looks like utter shit. The snail paced character movement looks particularly retardo.

:decline:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't think even derp of duty games move that slow. Are they trying to troll us?

MCA
The best Aliens game^.

My dream Alien game: playing a colonist before and during the break down of Hadley's Hope, long before Ripley & co arrives. A party based iso TB truly survival horror RPG where you team up with fellow colonists, craft items out of the stuff at the colony, explore what the deal was with the lab and the face huggers preserved in tubes, generally just try to survive as long as possible and maybe even try to arrange a hidden cryosleep room safe from the aliens, hoping to be found in future, and none of that stealth bombing bullshit Obsidian intended to rape the franchise with Aliens RPG, complete with ridiculous boss monsters and everything. So glad that it was cancelled.

MCA
Aliens RPG in Obsidian's own words:

"It will be a stealth based survival game."

"Stealth based survival to us is setting bomb traps and killing without being seen."

We all know how that turned out in Alpha Popamole. Plus, their tech demo was utter shit. It didn't demonstrate interesting game mechanics. It didn't demonstrate good technology. It didn't demonstrate good AI. It didn't demonstrate anything worth shit. It demonstrated aliens killing NPCs and brilliant stealth survival mechanics at work in the form of sentry guns shooting at aliens. Instant Alien classic right there!

R00FLES!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
maybe even try to arrange a hidden cryosleep room safe from the aliens
Probably not safe from the nuclear blast the size of Nebraska though, which is why I would prefer not to tie it in with the movie and use a generic colony instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom