Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Any newer games similar to Earth 2150?

funkadelik

Arcane
Are there any more recent games where you have different factions with different tech, base-construction, and researching new technology/weaponry/armor/units. The standout was how you created your own units with the researched tech and could combine different chassis with researched armor and weaponry.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... there is Earth 2160.
It IS similar, but... errr.... I'm pretty sure you know already ;)

There's also this with self-designed units:

And the good, old Impossible Creatures:

Of course, none of them are exactly like Earth 2150. For that, you might be out of luck.

laclongquan

Arcane
The hooked bait factor for marketing Earth 2150 was a newer, better graphic, version of Warzone 2100. It's not, of course, but that was the theme back in the day~

Fuck! I dont know what's wrong with RTS people. They got Warzone 2100 as a template. They certainly can do better in term of graphic: more explosion, more maps, etc... Why dont they replicate it?

Earth 2150 is NOT a replicate of WZ21. Thus why it failed.

A battle of tens of medium battle tanks duking it out~ That sure would make players cream in their pants. Whyever not a newer one?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Earth 2150 is NOT a replicate of WZ21. Thus why it failed.

On the contrary, Warzone 2100 sold quite poorly and was abandoned (thankfully, 'cause we got the source code and a free version out of it) while the Earth series managed to keep on with several expansions and a frankly DREADFUL sequel (Earth 2160 is one of the worst RTS I've ever seen).

They are quite different beasts, though. Earth is faster and the design system is simplified and direct (not reaching the simple elevels of Impossible Creatures, that had like 180k possible combinations and like 4 viable ones) but the campaign, despite budget limits, was well-designed and amusing. It's a good SP RTS, like Warzone.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2150 is pretty unique and that is why you're pretty much out of luck. Even in the Earth series itself 2140 is you classical CnC clone while 2160 is a desperate try to merge the whole hero RTS mania with 2150. Obviously that didn't turn out that well. I can't recommend anything that is similar but your best bet is just playing games that were trying to be innovative and do something interesting anyway... maybe try Perimeter, Kohan or Heroes of Annihilated Empires... these are older games, and don't get me started on new RTS games, its better and healthier to just assume there are none.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heroes of Annihilated Empires
That game had such an incredible potential. The art and sheer amount of units to throw around was just brillant. Combined with the RPG part, of course.
Too bad that the game was the most horribly unbalanced mess I ever played - and when even I as someone who loathes "well-balanced" games say that, it must truly be bad. The campaign is borderline unplayable due to that. Basically, forget about the RTS part and just use your character - funny enough, the same kind of trap Spellforce 3 fell into, just 100 times worse.

I always find myself wanting to play that game again, but then I remind myself of how bad it is and come to realize that I actually want to play a game like that in good.

funkadelik

Arcane
Thanks guys, I got my favorite thing in life from this thread, disappointment and sorrow.

:negative:

Even Blizzard is just remaking old shit rather than creating something new.

Although that Forged Battalion game looks interesting.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Thanks guys, I got my favorite thing in life from this thread, disappointment and sorrow.
You got the Codex treatment!
:happytrollboy:

Although that Forged Battalion game looks interesting.
I actually tried it out, but, uhm... I'll quote myself:
Played it now.

This is my refund request after 27 Minutes:
Played the first mission, but that made an incredibly shoddy and generic impression.
Then tried to play multiplayer, first two matches ended with an immediate "Defeat!" without a reason given.

Yeah.... no, thanks.

Refunding this makes me feel bad about other, actually better titles that I refunded.

All the gameplay vids already pointed in that direction, but you really have to play it to feel the genericness and lack of... love of it all.
You know how some games just ooze charm and make it obvious someone spent some passion on the project? This gave me the opposite feeling.

Oh, with the "immediate defeat" above I don't mean "after a very short time, cause I suck". That would be realistic, cause I do suck at these, but the defeat screen was what greeted me upon starting the match. Twice (against different opponents) :lol:
Sorry, just more disappointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom