Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone tried the Nightwatch game?

SkeleTony

Augur
If that song is part of the soundtrack then I cannot play this game. Is this an RPG or a Jap-faggotry console type thing?

Murk

Arcane
Supposedly a tactical RPG by Russian dev based on a book by a Russian author.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watc ... eo_game%29

Based on discrepancy of volume of effects and music, it seems the person who put that video on youtube added that terrible song over it. Also, the song plays where a clear cut-scene goes after the fight, so yes I'm certain that song is a product of the video-uploaders atrocious taste in music and lack of understanding of why people make 'gameplay' videos.

Apparently it uses the Silent Storm engine.

chzr

Scholar
haven't played it, i'ts indeed rpg based on the book (along with day watch afaik) using silent storm engine. Poor reviews (not that it means much).

Murk

Arcane
Storyline will most likely suck, as will the writing. That's fine. But a grimdark setting with Witcher like situations and outcomes + tactical combat that involves a modern use of technology AND magic?

Guess i'll have to find it and try it.

Murk

Arcane
donno but I purchased it, guess we'll find out when I get it and try it out. Amazon had it for 12.50 and was willing to give free shipping if I purchased at least 25 bucks. Added some books I needed to get anyway and voila, basically a free game.

Gwendo

Augur
Mikayel said:
Just found out this thing exists...

gameplay trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgV82ojMynI (holy shit that is a terrible song)

anyone tried it?

It's a nice game, but the engine is very poorly optimized, unlike Silent Storm, which came later.

And sometimes it doesn't make sense, although I guess it's because of the translation.

Bor for turn-based combat lovers, it's a fine game, although you'll be better served with Silent Storm.

There's a "Day Watch" game as well. I don't know if the third game was released in the west.

chzr

Scholar
Gwendo said:
It's a nice game, but the engine is very poorly optimized, unlike Silent Storm, which came later.

actually, silent storm came few years earlier.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The books were ok, the movies horrible. Games, I haven't tried yet, despite buying them (or was it only the first one?) some time ago.
Looking forward to reading Your opinion.

Murk

Arcane
I read Nightwatch and liked it, but thought the translation was shit at times. Got Daywatch and haven't touched it yet. Watched the Nightwatch movie for about 30 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore, pretty terrible and kinda ruined my idea of the characters. They really miss out on the bleak morality-dialog which is really a big chunk of the books.

I'll post some extended thoughts and views when it gets in, in about a week or so (holidays coming up, might take longer).

There's a Daywatch movie (didn't touch after the prequel, terrible that it was) and a Daywatch game (can't tell if it was translated to English or not).

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont care about the movies or novels. I want to know your impression on the game.

Felt interested a few years back, sister of Silent Storm and all that but my PC cant run it. There's a few gamestopping bugs, if I remember correctly.

Mikayel said:
I read Nightwatch and liked it, but thought the translation was shit at times. Got Daywatch and haven't touched it yet. Watched the Nightwatch movie for about 30 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore, pretty terrible and kinda ruined my idea of the characters. They really miss out on the bleak morality-dialog which is really a big chunk of the books.

I'll post some extended thoughts and views when it gets in, in about a week or so (holidays coming up, might take longer).

There's a Daywatch movie (didn't touch after the prequel, terrible that it was) and a Daywatch game (can't tell if it was translated to English or not).

For me it was a decent film, but with an utterly terrific end - an end that was utterly ruined by the sequel (that tried to fit two books into one, and might have failed anyway).

I actually really liked the idea of doing the first chapter from the viewpoint of a guy who WASN'T the 'chosen one' or anybody special, and barely even had enough power to be useful in 'field ops', but turns out

[massive spoilerage]

to be the father of the 'chosen one' or equivalent. That, and the way they did the ending where the point at which he finally goes 'fuck it, this is something worth fighting for - I'm taking these guys on even though I'm a nobody and I'll probably get pwned' is the exact same moment he (and his son) realises that the very first scene, the mistake he made so many years ago, makes his son hate him and turn into Vader-equivalent.

Thing is, they should have left his story there. It's a great story, with a much more satisfying, if bittersweet, ending for that character than what they end up giving him in the sequel. Guy ends up going from not-giving-a-shit-emo and feeling sorry for himself to realise that good is worth defending - and at the same time loses his son to the dark side. Good story.

The son should have then been the central character of the sequel. Sure, have that 'good chosen one' thingy as well - but leave the original character out of it. It just ruins the bravery of his ending in Nightwatch.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, Nightwatch movie was bad, but Daywatch was incomparably worse. Pity, since they were really nicely made from a technical point of view. Seemed like a terrible waste of effort and budget money.

Both movies are based on the first book, if I recall correctly.

Angthoron

Arcane
Sad thing is, the whole "son" plot is contrary to the books. In the books, the final revelation of Book 1 is that the Lights fucked with the Darks and made it look like the kid is special. In fact he wasn't, and in fact the large conflict of the novels is the fact that the good guys pulled a shit trick like this, and the protagonist spends a lot of time thinking about it, basically pointing to the "good guys aren't that good after all, even if the bad guys are p.bad most of the time".

Additionally, the "son" isn't actually his son. And in turn the protagonist turns out to be the "greatest" type by more or less an accident, after a whole lot of penis envy.

Gwendo

Augur
chzr said:
Gwendo said:

actually, silent storm came few years earlier.

You're right. 2 years earlier. Although it feels the opposite.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh, yeah, and the games suck more or less. Much of the good stuff coming from the engine is ignored while the rubbish sides of it are all in plain view.

Murk

Arcane
Drat, the negative views come in AFTER placing the order. Ho hooo. Oh well, try for myself I guess.

Angthoron said:
In fact he wasn't, and in fact the large conflict of the novels is the fact that the good guys pulled a shit trick like this, and the protagonist spends a lot of time thinking about it, basically pointing to the "good guys aren't that good after all, even if the bad guys are p.bad most of the time".

This is effectively what I liked about it the most. It reminded me of The Witcher and its books in that sense. There's a lot of "why the fuck do I even bother? I guess I have to..." kind of stuff, none of this "THERE ARE WRONGS TOBE RIGHTED AGGHAAAAAAGGGRGGGG" crap that most heroic shit shoves down your throat.

And I too liked Anton being a relatively weak motherfucker, though by the end of Book 1 he was at least a 3rd grade mage and capable of a 2nd grade intervention. Donno how much more powerful he'll get as he continues on.

---

\/\/ Yeah I run XP on my main desktop/gaming rig. Hopefully it'll work... blah.

bgillisp

Scholar
Good luck getting it working. I had a copy, tried two different computers for playing it. On the one with Vista you would click on the program to run the install...absolutely nothing happened. On Windows 7 the install program finally ran after a *long* delay, installed fine, tried to run the game, ithen crashed my OS to the point I had to do a system restore. Yep, after that antics I threw it in the garbabe. Only paid $5 for it anyways but it if can't install its a coster anyways.

Best bet is to install it on a system with XP based on my experience. Good luck if you have anything else!

Murk

Arcane
Well, this is absolutely tragic.

Installed the game, went fine until starting it up where it tells me I need to install DRM to play it - I say nay, find a crack, and start up the game. Everything is fine and dandy except that it stutters terribly whenever a character is walking anywhere (pathfinding issue?) and it tends to lag between scripted scene and regular controls. The latter isn't an issue but the former makes it unplayable since exploration is entirely in real time and so the game would literally go 1/5th as fast as it should. Graphical settings are not at all changing this as I change from top-settings to low-settings.

I figure, maybe its the crack? I restore the .exe, install the spyware, and... nope. Same issue.

Anyway, some brief views in the game in the 20 minutes I spent with it.

Game seems to have a cheeky sense of humor throughout it all, which makes up for the terrible accented voice-overs - as it literally starts with the main character keeping it real:

000822.jpg

and going back to the task at hand

000823.jpg

You eventually get to pick your class and starting stats

000825.jpg

Mage - standard caster, Enchanter - buffer/debuffer and seems to have some other 'utility' shit, main stat is 'dex', and shape-shifter which is the meleeist. I went with mage and put some points in dex for extra AP.

example of in-game humor

000830b.jpg

Maybe I'll try it again later after some driver-updates or if my system changes dramatically enough but as of now its unplayable due to that lag issue... hopefully this won't carry over as a result of the Silent Storm engine as I'd really like to play Hammer and Sickle.

Angthoron

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Drat, the negative views come in AFTER placing the order. Ho hooo. Oh well, try for myself I guess.

Angthoron said:
In fact he wasn't, and in fact the large conflict of the novels is the fact that the good guys pulled a shit trick like this, and the protagonist spends a lot of time thinking about it, basically pointing to the "good guys aren't that good after all, even if the bad guys are p.bad most of the time".

This is effectively what I liked about it the most. It reminded me of The Witcher and its books in that sense. There's a lot of "why the fuck do I even bother? I guess I have to..." kind of stuff, none of this "THERE ARE WRONGS TOBE RIGHTED AGGHAAAAAAGGGRGGGG" crap that most heroic shit shoves down your throat.

And I too liked Anton being a relatively weak motherfucker, though by the end of Book 1 he was at least a 3rd grade mage and capable of a 2nd grade intervention. Donno how much more powerful he'll get as he continues on.

He eventually gets to the levels of huge power, but I liked how it happened. I bet if they ever make it a movie it'll be changed as well, turned from pretty neat to completely retarded.

I don't understand why the film changed the plot so much. "Oh yeah, we're going to make a surprise plot twist so the fans of the books won't be bored"? Well, I'm sure Lord of the Rings fans would love it if Aragorn would turn out to give in to the Ring's temptation instead of Boromir. What a totally stupid move - and dumbing down the plot to a regular action-adventure film. :roll: Guess they tried to cater to the prepubescent fans as well.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mikayel said:

That was some useful info. Now I feel like giving it a go, and given the quality of the graphics, I expect it to run on the scruffy laptop I am stuck with at the moment!

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom