Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Astral troublemakers in my bureau! Let's Play B.A.T. - Done!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Indeed, the atmosphere is pretty good.

torpid

Liturgist
Intelligence of 7! Our character really is pretty dumb :lol: The need to eat and the pickpocketing sound potentially annoying, without adding much to the game; how does it work out in practice?

I agree that the art is pretty good, and the split screen is interesting. Overall it's like they wanted to give the game the feel of a comic book. The speech bubbles too.

killyav.jpg
Serious Business.

He kinda looks like Radisshu (the non-fabulous pictures of Radisshu).

spekkio

Arcane
Game looks great so far indeed.
Esp. menus give a sexy Workbench vibe...

:love:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
torpid said:
Intelligence of 7! Our character really is pretty dumb :lol: The need to eat and the pickpocketing sound potentially annoying, without adding much to the game; how does it work out in practice?

From what I've seen so far, all that, including the intelligence level, is just fluff. I'm getting that Whale's Voyage feeling all over again. Reflexes and energy matter, yes, the rest of the attributes... not so much. This is an action-adventure game, not an RPG, but a pretty nice one at that.

CHAPTER 2: IN DA CLUB

1Hk4N.jpg

The Kradokid told me to bring plenty of cash, so I thought I should cash my card.

SC4dU.jpg

I went to the hotel to get some sleep then, and after I woke up, I was feeling hungry as hell.

1alOM.jpg

Apparently sushi isn't exactly nutritious. Should've went for a burger this time as well.

FgPTj.jpg

Thanks to our B.O.B. having been programmed to display status messages, the game informs us Killy's starving for some real food.

XP5XW.jpg

Killy's only got 330 calories left, and death from starvation seems nigh. So we hurry to the Mecafood Center, grab a burger, and watch the calorie meter go up to 1130.

Phew. That was close.

iPNKY.jpg

The only way to earn money around here is, of course, to play a stupid mini-game.

qpstB.jpg

The game wants you to memorize the order in which the shapes, of which there are 8 in total, rapidly appear on the screen. The only way to advance past the initial levels is, of course, to reduce the DosBox cycles to something below 100, as well as prepare a pen and a piece of paper.

bMLPZ.jpg

The level 1 bet is 5 credits, but it grows as you beat more levels. I make it to level 10, and then quit the mini-game out of boredom. Killy's 400 credits richer now.

fP2YE.jpg

The hunger started getting me again, so I decided to buy some food at the chin merchant's. Steak and chips sounded like the safest option.

4PgC5.jpg

Next time I entered the Arcade, a manly woman -- or was it a womanly man -- approached me. With the power of cycles at my disposal, I agreed to his (?) terms without a second thought.

Killy's perception failed him this time. That gambling creature is definitely a tranny.

qCgdY.jpg

Our opponent reaches level 6, which means we must reach level 7 to beat him.

VuIw8.jpg

Which is exactly what we do.

YBjiA.jpg

From what I've gathered, "Use Sloan as a guide" is definitely the best option.

yeKM0.jpg

And so that creep started following me around...

v69KP.jpg

You can also buy drugs from wandering Stickrobs, but I don't think that serves any real purpose.

9o0jU.jpg

I bought the inhalers out of curiosity, but no way I'd really inhale those things.

41pcH.jpg

This is the first randomly wandering cop we meet. We ask him about Vrangor, as well as about Merigo:

pUanI.jpg

Oh, and about the city, too:

YJvNX.jpg

Fair enough.

O7rKh.jpg

Entering the local night club costs Killy 50 krells.

XxeRS.jpg

The cursor turns into a heart as we hover it over the ladies in here.

I got my first "heart" option here. "Ah hell, I'll go for it," thought I, expecting a wild pleasure cruise, no less.

57OYm.jpg

Instead, they made me play a goddamn dance mini-game!

a5WfJ.jpg

Filling the heart-o-meter to the top brings us no tangible result at the moment. Not even a kiss or a sex scene or anything.

QXWU4.jpg

I hurried to the museum to meet the mysterious Kradokid. To my surprise, it was no trap.

sLhiH.jpg

His price was a mere hundred krells. Truth be told, I expected something a bit more... exorbitant.

uVZsI.jpg

The Kradokid told me he saw Merigo at a private club last night.

ymmbj.jpg

He also handed me a pass card. Perfect.

JRt6x.jpg

Still, it was the dance mini-game that was keeping me intrigued. It must've had some purpose.

Given that time is a major factor in this game, we experiment by entering the night club at different times of day and night. And finally that pays off.

HcybH.jpg

Lydia appears, wanting to have a dance with Killy. I guess this game doesn't have a Charisma check, after all. :roll:

IrXf8.jpg

My heart went all a-pumping as I danced with Lydia. I had reach, and she had... flexibility.

ox2ri.jpg

The girl could prove useful, and I agreed to take her along for a ride.

x6Q34.jpg

And so I built a party of three: both Sloan and Lydia were now accompanying me. My influence grew.

jKJMk.jpg

It was now time to pay a visit to Xifo and deal with Merigo.

5DGLd.jpg

Hmm, no sign of Merigo here. Let's explore around a bit more...

viAap.jpg

Merigo suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Apparently, he intended to surprise me, but my reflexes were too superior for him to handle.

ybMnr.jpg

"You'll never stop Vrangor ! He'll kill you all !!"

bskP3.jpg

With one bastard dead, only one more remained.

Kz3r0

Arcane
How come that we have two LPs of old games at the moment and both have trannies in them?
Can be that videogames have been trannified long before the Codex would come about?

lightbane

Arcane
It seems the game is quite fun... But sadly suffers from a rather crappy and limited real time combat, what a pity. Also, "your" Killy has already spoken more lines in 2 updates than half of the Blame manga :lol:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Whoever said this game was hard is a pussy. In fact, it's one of the easier adventure games I've played.

lightbane said:
Also, "your" Killy has already spoken more lines in 2 updates than half of the Blame manga :lol:

My Killy has low intelligence and therefore talks too much. :P

CHAPTER 3: THIS IS THE END

Jxvh7.jpg

Searching Merigo's corpse lands us an electronic key. I think it's going to be important... somehow.

6tLWv.jpg

And the above screenshot was captured specifically for spekkio.

UCwJy.jpg

The Galaxy is the local cinema...

nfbEo.jpg

...but it doesn't seem to have any real purpose. :?

oFIyg.jpg

The apothecary can not only sell medicine, but also heal our injuries.

5S4Ds.jpg

The wonder of wonders, indeed.

bM6vD.jpg

And the Kortakis Building, the most important-looking one around here, is inaccessible to us for now.

5SyDY.jpg

The guard stops us as we try to access the airlock.

htmoc.jpg

But Sloan comes to the rescue.

TnNwd.jpg

Those companions of mine weren't completely worthless, after all.

0owRo.jpg

We can rent a drag in here.

Extract from an article published in "Life of the Planets" n° 456:

"The DRAG is a vehicle specially designed for the difficult climatic conditions on Selenia. Moreover, it has never been exported and is only used on this planet. The first model (Monopropulsor T1) was constructed in 2171 and, in spite of the first catastrophic tests, was rapidly adopted by mining companies. Since then, five other models followed it. The last of these, the T4-B8 (biopropulsor), is the most frequently used at present.

"The DRAG does not have a very good reputation among Selenian pilots. In fact, piloting it is extremely difficult because of the imposing lateral stabilizers fitted to combat the immense atmospheric instability. Some would even go so far as to say that controlling them is like piloting those ancient contraptions, chariots. "A flying chariot, that's perhaps the best definition that can be given of the DRAG..."

ZSxCr.jpg

What a sad, sad story. :(

y4HJj.jpg

The drag hirer wanted 5900 krells. I didn't have that much money and so had to refuse the offer.

OoiLS.jpg

Lydia, however, intervenes and tells us to call Crisa Kortakis.

XtcOX.jpg

The phone is located at the all too familiar hangar.

BcBYY.jpg

Accepting video link...

CAQkc.jpg

We get two options, Get information or Make an appointment:

qaLvb.jpg

We make an appointment, of course.

hUe9I.jpg

And back to the Kortakis building we go.

MzvV5.jpg

The guard lets us through this time.

ePZvP.jpg

I took the elevator to the top floor...

6vEPm.jpg

...only to observe a sight I'll never forget.

YGayj.jpg

Now that's a mug.

fSST0.jpg

We request Vrangor's arrest!

ZX2aW.jpg

Fair enough. Give us some credits, then!

8nzfC.jpg

Looks like we're richer now, yay.

adJP3.jpg

Crisa hands Lydia a jewel. This will by no means be important later.

ikXFA.jpg

:roll:

Mynko.jpg

With Crisa Kortakis' help, I now had 3525 credits on my card and could afford renting a drag.

LlQFZ.jpg

First, however, I discovered that the ruins were now accessible to me, thanks no doubt to the electronic key I got off Merigo's body.

nCLy8.jpg

The undercity maintenance corridors. Swell.

tPWUz.jpg

On the next screen, we can choose to ride a maintenance vehicle. Our task is to reach the other end of the maze. The maze is quite treacherous, and I stumbled into a dead end/trap room on my way, but that was probably due to a bug or something. I even mapped the maze, by the way, but am too lazy to post the map; I doubt anyone here needs it.

DT7tw.jpg

Finally we reach the evaporation chamber. And it looks like... there are people living here! Basement dwellers, no doubt.

b1BtW.jpg

We pass by the basement dwellers' houses.

lrpnM.jpg

And even get to chat with the basement dwellers themselves! Poor things.

odu1y.jpg

More red-eyed basement dwellers!

GeUwG.jpg

We make it to what seems like a dead end.

LWW1f.jpg

Thankfully, Lydia comes to the rescue again.

EY25Y.jpg

We insert the jewel into the hole, and the passage opens.

1a8oy.jpg

Searching the ground reveals an access card. From what I've gathered, the only purpose of that card is to give us the name of the station we're looking for: Epsilon, which will be helpful soon.

FlBj8.jpg

Back at the airlock, we access the technicians' room with the help of the very first access card we found.

47OR9.jpg

And find the access code to the Epsilon station. Neat!
(We also write down the access codes to the Beta and Lambda stations, but those seem to be of no use in this game.)

iw7bL.jpg

We pay for the drag.

L7Af2.jpg

I had a vehicle now. Vrangor didn't have long to live.

xNzQ0.jpg

Riding a drag is a pretty simplistic business.

ezLJZ.jpg

You just head for the red dot on the radar, and that's it.

k1Bmr.jpg

That must be the Epsilon station, so we...

1dzIZ.jpg

...crash into it. :smug:

6Q7PE.jpg

Good thing we wrote down that access code earlier.

0TCFM.jpg

Left, left, right, right, left, right, right, right. And the way is open.

KCmzA.jpg

As we enter the room, Vrangor suddenly attacks!

bt0ul.jpg

Again, my reflexes proved to be quite superior. Mission accomplished.

8hj4V.jpg

Wait what?

Oh, like, fuck yeah!

Crooked Bee

Patron
:decline: indeed

Trash said:
Played this one and its sequel a long time ago and despite never getting very far into it the atmosphere and attention to detail was always staggering. Not to mention that the sheer size of it is overwhelming as it gets. Amazing games.

:troll:

Sceptic said:
Fuck yeah BAT! Awesome and weeeeeeeeeeird game that I never managed to finish (got to the end of the maze and... didn't know what to do...)
SCO said:
Good luck and let me know how that turns out.
*sound of giant metal door lowering on hydraulics*

(both it and the sequel were fucking hard, wtf was it with the divided screen, fucking cartoon visual designer)

:troll:

Three pussies detected ITT.

spekkio

Arcane
This thread wins a Trollscar in "Best unintentional trolling" category!

:bravo:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got lost and stuck in the copy protection ok (in bat 2).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
OK, so I didn't have the jewel. Don't ask me why.

Still, well done on the LP. And after seeing the ending I'm glad I didn't finish it myself ;)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Trash said:
Yeah, try playing it without manual and/or walkthrough.

Butthurt detected. :P Sheesh, guys, I was just kiddin' around. I don't consult walkthroughs; walkthroughs are for pussies. As for playing a game without a manual -- I won't even comment on that.

You've probably never beaten a Sierra adventure game by yourself. :roll: This game is piss easy in comparison. All it took to crack this game open was a few reloads, and after I had established the correct timing for all major events, it was an extremely easy ride. Timing is the only factor somewhat complicating things. Even the need to eat and drink isn't that annoying; just carry a couple of burgers with you and drink from the fountain, and you're fine. Also, I'm pretty sure this game can be beaten in a couple of hours in a speedrun.

Sceptic said:
OK, so I didn't have the jewel. Don't ask me why.

I'm not even sure that part is necessary tbh. You can probably just write down the access codes to all the stations and then randomly wander around in a drag until you find the one you need, bypassing the maze entirely.

lightbane

Arcane
Wow, that was fast... :incline: or :decline: ? I'm not sure.

6vEPm.jpg
YGayj.jpg

:what:
Is it a relative of Cleve?

torpid

Liturgist
trololololo

Pretty underwhelming.

Crooked Bee said:
Trash said:
Played this one and its sequel a long time ago and despite never getting very far into it the atmosphere and attention to detail was always staggering. Not to mention that the sheer size of it is overwhelming as it gets. Amazing games.

:lol:

It ain't over till the fat lady sings --

Oh, ok then.

Still, good job owning it up :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom