Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Neerasrc

Learned
Sven's working. (Background book: mind flayer monsters)

Sacibengala

Prophet
I wonder if the game will be as sterile as the dnd5 books. The opening section of Avernus on editorial where they are being sorry about the book be about hell was pretty sad, to say the least.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if the game will be as sterile as the dnd5 books. The opening section of Avernus on editorial where they are being sorry about the book be about hell was pretty sad, to say the least.
Well, to be fair, Shostakovich apologized to the audience before the premiere of his 14th symphony about it concerning itself with death.

Neerasrc

Learned
Can it be fully adapted as a system? (dnd5e) I'm most curious about this. (mechanically) I really want it to be the IE of the future. No loading screen, open world..etc Divinity engine is really a promising game engine. I hope they succeed.

Curratum

What? Holy shit, can you upload a picture of it or something? I don't want to go and try to pirate it, but I have to see this in print, in full! :D

Sacibengala

Prophet

What? Holy shit, can you upload a picture of it or something? I don't want to go and try to pirate it, but I have to see this in print, in full! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H31s4fKCfEQ Saw in this dude review. It is a good Channel.

Edit: 3:28 part about Hell is bad, fight it.
3:55 Disclaimer saying to combat evil, because evil is bad.

Last edited:

Curratum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H31s4fKCfEQ Saw in this dude review. It is a good Channel.

I mean, I don't know if it's your English, but I was expecting something very different...

Sacibengala

Prophet

I mean, I don't know if it's your English, but I was expecting something very different...

For me, to say that your game plays in hell but only to do good deeds, is the same as to apologize beforehand about your game being placed in hell in the first place. But sorry if I gave false impression of what was said.

Elex

Arbiter
the fat one or the ugly one?

Breast size is only one category where we can measure female attractive. True romantic have them more.

Dungeons & Dragons’ next pen-and-paper adventure feels like Mad Max in hell

Good. Sounds like secret Fallout remake in DnD clothes.

A stone with endless energy source (glittering) Stone gets its power from lightning. When the glow is reduced, make a lightning spell. (Fill the vehicle tank)
Driving a car in the world of DND would be something like this. Too ridiculous. Hopefully it will remain the only module. -)
Cool Idea. Is it official from the book?
No. The vehicles in Descent to Avernus are powered by the souls of the damned.
D60N8agVUAA7rQw.jpg

with bhal simbol on it.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
EDpJJuIXUAEQ_EH.jpg

For me, to say that your game plays in hell but only to do good deeds, is the same as to apologize beforehand about your game being placed in hell in the first place. But sorry if I gave false impression of what was said.
it's because of the Satanic Panic of 80'
D&D was accused of be a a satanist game.

this is why demons and devil have alternative names during the 90' edition of the game.
So the quote in the book is a inside joke.

The equivalent of today "videogame cause mass shooting".

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the fat one or the ugly one?

Breast size is only one category where we can measure female attractive. True romantic have them more.

Dungeons & Dragons’ next pen-and-paper adventure feels like Mad Max in hell

Good. Sounds like secret Fallout remake in DnD clothes.

A stone with endless energy source (glittering) Stone gets its power from lightning. When the glow is reduced, make a lightning spell. (Fill the vehicle tank)
Driving a car in the world of DND would be something like this. Too ridiculous. Hopefully it will remain the only module. -)
Cool Idea. Is it official from the book?
No. The vehicles in Descent to Avernus are powered by the souls of the damned.
D60N8agVUAA7rQw.jpg

with bhal simbol on it.

are these for sale?
where can I get my hands on one?

D63gYHeU0AEFg82
D63H273U8AAMLOy.jpg

Last edited:

Neerasrc

Learned
I feel like they’re obsessing too much about mind flayers. A good D&D game should have a ton of diversity in bestiary

I agree, but this is now the symbol of bg3. They use it as a marketing tool. This is actually normal. Because there is no other detail about the game. (at least for now)

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I agree, but this is now the symbol of bg3. They use it as a marketing tool. This is actually normal. Because there is no other detail about the game. (at least for now)

Yeah and don't forget Descend into Avernus. I mean, the game will take place after that module, but they wouldn't promote this as much, if there weren't somehow demons involved. Bhaal got also revived so I guess, this story will be a fight between evil clerics, demons (or devils) and Mindflayers, so we should have a diverse cast of monsters in that regard :D. And since Mindflayers can enslave basically everything, we will have a lot Duergar, Drow, Beholders and the whole humans, orcs, elves etc. ensemble to fight.

Curratum

I feel like they’re obsessing too much about mind flayers. A good D&D game should have a ton of diversity in bestiary

D&D 5E has been like that over its tabletop release course. "See, guys, this is our adventure path about CULTISTS AND DRAGONS! But see, this one, this book is all about GIANTSSSSSS!"

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
D&D 5E has been like that over its tabletop release course. "See, guys, this is our adventure path about CULTISTS AND DRAGONS! But see, this one, this book is all about GIANTSSSSSS!"

Didn't play those, but not a bad idea I think. Highlights some of the monster a bit more in-depth and shows the players why they are cool.

Elex

Arbiter
SPOILER TIME so in the new adventure descent into the abyss the city of BG is
secretly under the control of mind flayers, ulder Ravengard was recently tricked into attending a diplomatic summit in Elturel, unaware that his political enemies in Baldur's Gate orchestrated this meeting in a fiendish plot to remove him from power. In his absence, the Flaming Fist is leaderless, the council rudderless.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

I'm not super familiar with DnD monster hierarchy but the Illithids in BG2 had a bunch of underlings and if Larian try to replicate the BG2 magic, then they're gonna have huge side quests that are only tangentially related to the main plot, if at all and that's where they can pick and choose fom the bestiary to their hearts' content.

What I worry about is a good antagonist. Somebody like Irenicus, you continously meet during and interact on your journey and not some Illithid mastermind asspull during the final stretch of the game. Irenicus isn't the greatest villain when it comes to writing, but you constatly feel his presence in the game and that's what makes him one of the most memorable antagonists in RPGs. Very few games manage to replicate that feeling.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
SPOILER TIME so in the new adventure descent into the abyss the city of BG is
secretly under the control of mind flayers, ulder Ravengard was recently tricked into attending a diplomatic summit in Elturel, unaware that his political enemies in Baldur's Gate orchestrated this meeting in a fiendish plot to remove him from power. In his absence, the Flaming Fist is leaderless, the council rudderless.

Huh, doesn't sound bad at all. You can work with that in the game.

What I worry about is a good antagonist. Somebody like Irenicus, you continously meet during and interact on your journey and not some Illithid mastermind asspull during the final stretch of the game. Irenicus isn't the greatest villain when it comes to writing, but you constatly feel his presence in the game and that's what makes him one of the most memorable antagonists in RPGs. Very few games manage to replicate that feeling.

That's a good point. They could either use a not-Mindflayer minion (given that the devils don't take over) or one of those elder brains as a powerful over-antagonist like Bhaal in prior games or the Guardian in Ultima VII. If I remember it correctly, than those guys can implent itself in their minions so it could be established as an overarching treat. Like a big ugly, mastercomputer or something. Not complex, but effective if done right.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I feel that baldurs gate was an excuse to promote this module. As the plot have nothing to do with baldurs gate. It has more to do with it than baldurs gate 2, but nonetheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom